1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Headlight Projector Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Headlight Projector Retrofit DIY

Hello all! Just a quick DIY for projector retrofit in headlights.

*DISCLAIMER: This article is for educational purposes ONLY. Please use my experience as a reference. Check with your local laws and DOT safety guidelines prior to modifying your headlights. I am not responsible for your safety.*
  • 1985-86 Maxima
  • H1 Mini Projector Kit
  • H1 HID kit
  • Tools: Heat gun, plastic trim tool, small pick, razor blade, pocket flathead, denatured alcohol, 0000 steel wool, 1000+ grit w/d sand paper, Krylon Fusion paint
  • 2-3 hours

1) Remove headlights

2) Use the pocket flathead and the small pick to remove the metal lens clips that hold the glass lens to the plastic housing. You will be removing the clips from the backside first. Once there is a little gap achieved at the rear of the clip, stick the flathead under the clip and slowly shimmy and rotate. The clip should come right off. *Tip: Use the pick to get the clip started if it is held too tight. Take your time.

3) Use the heat gun to heat around the entire assembly and the lens for about 1-2 minutes. Visualize where the adhesive sits. I found that heating the lens around the edges helps a lot. Use more time if you need to but keep in mind that the plastic is old.
*You can use the oven method as an alternative*

4) Find a gap on either end of the lens and wedge the plastic trim tool between. Begin to lightly twist the tool, working the entire edge slowly. You will feel how much resistance there is and can adjust your tension. Add heat as necessary. The adhesive is old and tough, but it will release. Once the lens begins to separate, work around the rest of the housing slowly.
Use the razor blade to slice the adhesive as you go. *I slice the adhesive to keep as much on each side to keep the area clean and ease reinstallation.

*Adhesive on both components*

4) Inspect your housings for existing cracks, oxidation, etc. and repair accordingly. Remove the main reflector housing shields. Some assemblies were manufactured with shields on the parking/running light chamber with a brittle foam that appears to house silica spheres for moisture absorption. Remove all shields and such plates.

*Main Shield*

*Parking/Running Shield*

5) Stop and test-fit your projector.

** Issues with my photo uploads. Will continue tomorrow.**
Old 09-30-2014, 10:38 PM

I hope you aren't re-using the stock old adhesive. I would clean the old ones, and use a fresh ones. Use OEM Koito from TRS for best result.

FYI, With that fluted lens, the cut off will get distorted and slight unwanted glare

Other than that, it looks great!!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:34 AM

@Genes1s Thanks! I was going to include the links to TRS for the Koito & OCI glues. Great products! My adhesive is fully functional. I have a process of resealing that prevents fogging. I have done many headlights for customers and generally recommend using new butyl adhesive when necessary.

I fully understood the fluted lens distorting the cutoff prior to doing this, but just wanted to have fun in doing this. Overall, the output and visibility is superior to stock in my opinion. I believe next time around I will invest the time to make an acrylic lens.

Thank you for the feedback! I should have the rest of the write-up and final pics up tonight.