5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Moisture in Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Moisture in Headlight

Hello,

I recently changed my headlight bulbs - I think I did ok with the passenger side one. I was able to install the driver side one and it worked ok, but there is moisture and condensation in the driver side assembly/housing (see attached picture).

It is probable that I didn't tighten something properly, since there was no condensation before I attempted the bulb change.

One mechanic advised I change the whole headlight assembly - at a cost of close to $400.

Before considering this expense, are there other ways to resolve this problem. For example, can i use a blow dryer to to remove some of the moisture and the reinstall the bulb?

thanks - Noela
Attached Thumbnails Moisture in Headlight-headlight-moisture.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 02:42 PM

you have a leak or seal cracked into it, who knows did you snuggly put the rubber boot of it harness back into the housing cover? , but you can blow dry it however that the water condensation in it will probably leave some water stain.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Definitely, there is a leak. I think I had some difficulty getting the harness in, and as a result probably left it in snuggly. So replacing the entire assembly is the best choice then?

/Noela

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
you have a leak or seal cracked into it, who knows did you snuggly put the rubber boot of it harness back into the housing cover? , but you can blow dry it however that the water condensation in it will probably leave some water stain.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:46 PM

You can blow dry them and check the seal. Most of the time the rubber is old and don't have any compliant anymore. You can also remove the lens and clean and dry it really good. Use new quality microfiber towel to clean the inside to avoid scratching.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:15 AM

Haven't been here in ages, I'll chime in since I have great experience with this issue...

1. Inspect the back of the light, inspect rubber around all bulbs and find the spot where there is a hole. There WILL be a hole because moisture got in, and since you only changed the bulbs it means the issue is somewhere around the rubber gaskets of the bulbs...By the looks of your pics, it seems like top right corner would be your best bet to check, because you can tell that it's a bit less moisture in that corner so probably air is getting in on that side.
2. Pull out all bulbs from the light, leave bulbs wrapped in rags and just push them to the side.
3. Leave the headlight open all day with the bulbs out, it should dry out that way on it's own, leave the hood cracked open too so more air gets in. Depending on weather, you may have to leave it overnight too until fully dry. Other option is blow drying but that's more work.

Unless the rubber is old and messed up this should fix it, make sure all the rubber gaskets are all tight and in place when you replace the bulbs and there are no places with any kind of opening in the back of the light.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:22 AM

Thanks very much for all your responses. I recall that I had a problem getting the retaining clips on the bulb strongly. As a result, the bulb did not sit firmly in its harness. It is possible to correct the retaining clips, and that probably could also be a source of a leak.
Can this be corrected - ensuring that the retaining clips are firmly tightened against the bulb?

thanks - Noela