1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Tech questions for '87 SE

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 01:35 AM
SkidMonk

Tech questions for '87 SE

I just joined today, and I can see that I'm going to like it here. I seem to be the only person in this city with the sense to appreciate the Maxima. I'd appreciate mine a lot more, however, if I could fix a few nagging problems. Oh, where to start...

Security System:
Is it as common as it seems for these to fail, and what can be done to fix them? The guy I bought this car from installed an aftermarket system, but I'd like to see if I can get the original back up and running.

Brakes:
Does anybody else think that the engineer who designed the stock brake calipers ought to be shot and dragged through the streets? I don't mind having to bottom out a caliper with a c-clamp, but having to screw one in with a pair of needlenose pliers is just plain exasperating. Has anyone found an easier way to do this? What upgrades are available, caliper-wise? Rotor-wise?

Rear parcel shelf speakers:
Anybody wanna sell the stock ones?

Those Damn Automatic Seat Belts:
I'm not close to being the first or last person to despise this invention, and the failure of the belt on the driver's side in my car has surprised me to the tune of some $300, if I should elect to take it to the dealer. Is there any way to get the cable back into the track after it's been sprung? Can we book the engineer responsible for adding these on a sea cruise on a screen door accompanied by the aforementioned designer of calipers?

Exhaust:
My exhaust recently broke off just forward of the cat, and boy, does that V6 make a racket. The more smart-assed among my friends have taken to asking me when Cessna started making automobiles. Since it's time for exhaust repairs anyway, where's the best spot to pick up a cat-back system for this car?

Rear Struts/Springs:
My rear struts and springs are completely worn out. When I turn any faster than at 10mph, the car not only SOUNDS like a Cessna, but it BANKS like one. Obviously it's time to do some ride control maintenance. One problem: The original struts were the electronic-adjustable kind. Has anyone here ever had these replaced at a shop (I'm unwilling to tackle this in my driveway in the midst of an Iowa winter)? How much did it cost to replace these with stock ride control? What are viable performance upgrades, how much do they cost and where can I find them?

Cosmetic Stuff:
I'm looking for a replacement for the OE trunklid spoiler, center dash console (thoughtfully broken in two by stereo thieves), and OE Maxima floor mats ('87 vintage if possible). Where can I find these?

Any help on the above or general hard-won knowledge that anyone could provide would be of great help. I miss my CRX, but I never embarassed a Z-28 with it, so I'll get by somehow. In fact, the only car that's really shown me up so far was a Pontiac with a supercharged 3800. This is a lot of car for the $2k I paid for it, and I'd like to treat it better than I have so far.

Old 01-26-2002, 08:51 AM
Charles Bisel

Man, you sure have a lot of questions. Well, here's my two cents:

Security System:
You didn't mention what kind of aftermarket security system you had, but most of them are better than the stock system. Unless of course the previous owner bought it at Walmart for $50. Maybe there was something wrong with the stock system and that's why he got a new one. In any case, if you really want to use the old one, check inside the top of the trunk and you should see a metal box. See if any wires are disconnected, if they are, just reconnect them and it might work.

Brakes:
I agree, the stock calipers do suck. The only problem is, I don't think anyone makes aftermarket ones. There is a company that makes cross-drilled rotors for our cars though. I can't remember the website, but I know it's listed at the Second Generation Nissan Maxima Club, of which you should be a member of. I'll put the link at the end of this post. They are pretty expensive though, upwards of $100/rotor.

Rear Speakers:
Man, why the hell would you want those crappy *** stock speakers? You could get better ones from Wal-Mart! Get a decent set of Cerwin Vega's or Rockford Fosgates. Practically any 14+ year old stock speaker will be completely dry rotted. They may have been decent in their day, but speaker technology has come a long way and the prices are pretty reasonable. The stock size speaker is 4", but if you do some cutting, you can fit 6x9" in the back. I personally recommend going with a component setup, put 5 1/4" or 6" in the back with a .5" dome tweeter, that will give you the best clarity. Throw a sub or two in the trunk for your bass.

Exhaust:
The only company that I know of that makes an exhaust is Pacesetter. I have it on my car and it definitely works well. The car is a bit quicker and it has a really nice sound to it. It's not some ugly *** fart can and it doesn't sound like a lawnmower on steriods.

Rear Suspension:
As for the rear springs, you can go with Eibach, Suspension Tech, or Intrax. As far as the struts/shocks are concerned, you'll probably have to replace them with KYB GR2's. The electronic ones are really expensive to replace at a dealership, upwards of $1000. Definitely go with the KYB's.

Cosmetic:
You can get spoilers for our cars from Kaminari and Wings West. Kaminari also sells a body kit for our vehicles which looks sweet. As far as the center dash console, you'll probably have to get it from a junkyard. There are two different kinds, one for an 85-86 that has a wider stereo space, and one for the 87-88 that has the standard double-din stereo size, so make sure you get the right one. As for the floormats, again, why the hell would you want 15 year old worn out mats?!? Get a brand new set and have someone custom embroider the Maxima logo into it if that's what you really want.

Visit the 2nd Gen Maxima Club here: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/secondg...onnissanmaxima

-C-

Old 01-26-2002, 11:39 AM
SkidMonk

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Man, you sure have a lot of questions. Well, here's my two cents:

-C-
And a worthy two cents it was! Thanks for all the info!

Old 01-28-2002, 09:15 PM

when u turn that noise is your axel i just got mine replaced on my 88 max
and the shock are crazy expensive to replace brand new