1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Newbie has a question - Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie has a question - Factory Alarm

I have an 87 Nissan Maxima Wagon as my Daily Driver/Grocery Getter and have been having problems with the Alarm/Anti-Theft Device.

The Factory Alarm will go off for no reason at all while the car is parked, whether it's locked or unlocked - the horn will start honking and the lights will start flashing.

It happens only once in a while, but it is very annoying when it does, and I'm worried about coming out to my car and the battery being dead.

How would I go about fixing the problem?

My guess would be to replace the relays.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: Newbie has a question - Factory Alarm

Yes, my 88 does the exact same thing. Annoying as hell. I'm looking for a way just to disable the alarm, but I don't know how, so I'm looking for help here on that. Also, I hate having to unlock the doors to get into the trunk without shutting off the alarm.

I didn't help you at all, but letting you know you're not alone.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:40 PM

Q's and A's

I've heard that sometimes the door switch sensors go bad, like the one under the hood. The best way to disable it is to unplug the wiring harness from the alarm brain. There are many inexpensive aftermarket alarm systems that can be installed in it's place and you can even use most of the wires from the Nissan alarm harness, such as for the horn. I have a couple of nicely priced alarms from AutoLoc. (Personal plug, sorry!)
Old 07-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Q's and A's

Originally posted by Siege
I've heard that sometimes the door switch sensors go bad, like the one under the hood. The best way to disable it is to unplug the wiring harness from the alarm brain. There are many inexpensive aftermarket alarm systems that can be installed in it's place and you can even use most of the wires from the Nissan alarm harness, such as for the horn. I have a couple of nicely priced alarms from AutoLoc. (Personal plug, sorry!)
Is the "Alarm Brain" located under the Pass. seat or is that the ECM?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:58 PM

Re: Re: Q's and A's

Originally posted by PHP87

Is the "Alarm Brain" located under the Pass. seat or is that the ECM?

Thanks.
thats the ECM... at least I think it is. But if you just disconnect the sensors from the system, it should be disabled. Actually, my system might just be busted.. but I think the sensors in my hood and trunk are disconnected... I know they *were*, I might have connected the one in the trunk, but the "security" light stopped flashing a looooooong time ago. Try disabling the sensors in the hood and trunk. I believe there is a small box in the trunk just past the lip of the trunk, try pulling out those wires

Greg
Old 07-09-2002, 12:02 AM

There is a fuse in your box inside the car that controls the dome light, interior lights, deck, and alarm, sometimes i get frustrated so i just yank it out.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:59 AM

Re: Re: Q's and A's

Actually, if i remember right, the alarm on our wagons is located in the spare tire well, under the false floor in the rear. When you lift the floor up, in the well, towards the front of the car, you will see a metal cover that is screwed to some subframing. Remove the cover, and you will have access to a number of sensors, CPU's and relays, including the door lock relays, alarm brain, adjustable strut controller (if equipped), keyless entry brain, etc...

I hope this helps. The exact unit I'm unsure of, but they should be marked.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:14 PM

Know what you can do is unhook the clamp for the automatic trunk opener located near the latch under the lining of hte trunk, this way the car will think a door is open and the alarm can never activate, this will cause your sensor light to stay on while driving, and your security light to never stop flashing, but its all good.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Brendan
Know what you can do is unhook the clamp for the automatic trunk opener located near the latch under the lining of hte trunk, this way the car will think a door is open and the alarm can never activate, this will cause your sensor light to stay on while driving, and your security light to never stop flashing, but its all good.

Yes the alarm brains for the sedans are near the back window under neath the back speaker area.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Q's and A's

Originally posted by MaxWgn
Actually, if i remember right, the alarm on our wagons is located in the spare tire well, under the false floor in the rear. When you lift the floor up, in the well, towards the front of the car, you will see a metal cover that is screwed to some subframing. Remove the cover, and you will have access to a number of sensors, CPU's and relays, including the door lock relays, alarm brain, adjustable strut controller (if equipped), keyless entry brain, etc...

I hope this helps. The exact unit I'm unsure of, but they should be marked.
Yep - it's under a panel in front of the spare tire on the wagons.

I Unplugged the connectors to the security system.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Q's and A's

Hey, havent been here in a while, I have an 87 max gxe, love it. Though, its been neglected....Anyways, I was having the same problem, about the alarm going off, the dealer said it was the hood mount connector thingy. So what I did was, to increase the size of the connector higher by 1 inch of soft material, taped really good. When the hood drops, it has a really good "push down" connection. I just used some duct tape and filled it up with paper, to extend it. Doesnt go off anymore, though I will permantely fix it some how.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:02 PM
Charles Bisel

It's good to hear that even though you've got a 5th gen you haven't given up on your 2nd gen.

-C-

Old 07-25-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
It's good to hear that even though you've got a 5th gen you haven't given up on your 2nd gen.

-C-
thanks, I say the 2nd gens, are the best maximas built ever.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by mphilips

thanks, I say the 2nd gens, are the best maximas built ever.

I hear that man