1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

2nd gen motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2nd gen motor swap

are there any engines that will fit into my engine bay - it's ALL stock right now... I want FATSER!! and kinda cheap if possible. hit me back if you know

e-mail: Skold1911@aol.com
aim: Skold1911

or just post back
Old 07-05-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: 2nd gen motor swap

VG30ET will fit, you'll have problems with the alternator mounts since it sits on the opposite side. That engine makes 200hp stock and can do 240hp wiht simple bolt ons. You will need a turbo ECU from a 85-89 300zx turbo and add 1 wire to the detonation sensor though. Everything else is straightforward.
Originally posted by skold
are there any engines that will fit into my engine bay - it's ALL stock right now... I want FATSER!! and kinda cheap if possible. hit me back if you know

e-mail: Skold1911@aol.com
aim: Skold1911

or just post back
Old 07-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I appreciate the input man, i was wondering do you have any idea where i could start looking for those pasrt??
Old 07-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Charles Bisel

Join the 2nd gen Nissan Maxima club at Yahoo, the link is posted in my sig. Go into the Bookmarks section, there you will find links to companies that support the 2nd Gen Maxima with parts and services.

Some sites that you'll want to check out include www.z31.com , www.nic-intl.com , www.jimwolftechnology.com , www.levelten.com , www.car-part.com

Z31.com will give you a lot of information about the VG30ET engine.

Nic International sells the VG30ET engine for a very good price.

JWT has turbos and they do custom ECU's and other turbo related stuff.

Level 10 does performance automatic transmissions which you'll need cause the stock tranny won't be able to handle the kind of ponies that a turbo puts out. I've even heard that you can't use a 5-speed with a high-output turbo because 3rd gear will get ground down smooth.

Car-part.com is a database of junkyards around the country, so you may be able to get some of the parts that you need for cheap.

If you do go through with the project, keep us updated on it.

-C-

Old 07-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know I might get some flack for this, but we had an old '84 Maxima kickin' around and we're... umm... well me and some friends stuck a Chevy 350 V8 and Turbo 350 transmission in it. With a bunch of speed parts this motor dyno'd at 262.3 horsepower and 321.8 ft./lbs. of torque in an '84 Regal Limited. We're just finishing off the project now with a Holley 650cfm double pumper carb on top of an '87 Monte Carlo SS aluminum manifold. We're gonna take it out to the strip and see what it can do September long weekend. Hopefuly we won't blow up the factory driveshaft (3" shorter) and rear end. The fit is great and we've been going about two weeks so far, and hope to have it done by Friday. Too bad it's a hack job, you might not want to carve yours up like we did. But it's all in the name of speed and "WTF is that!!!"
Old 07-09-2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Join the 2nd gen Nissan Maxima club at Yahoo, the link is posted in my sig. Go into the Bookmarks section, there you will find links to companies that support the 2nd Gen Maxima with parts and services.

Some sites that you'll want to check out include www.z31.com , www.nic-intl.com , www.jimwolftechnology.com , www.levelten.com , www.car-part.com

Z31.com will give you a lot of information about the VG30ET engine.

Nic International sells the VG30ET engine for a very good price.

JWT has turbos and they do custom ECU's and other turbo related stuff.

Level 10 does performance automatic transmissions which you'll need cause the stock tranny won't be able to handle the kind of ponies that a turbo puts out. I've even heard that you can't use a 5-speed with a high-output turbo because 3rd gear will get ground down smooth.

Car-part.com is a database of junkyards around the country, so you may be able to get some of the parts that you need for cheap.

If you do go through with the project, keep us updated on it.

-C-
Thanks Charles, you are a wealth of info. Thank You Sir
Old 07-10-2002, 04:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mike85gn
I know I might get some flack for this, but we had an old '84 Maxima kickin' around and we're... umm... well me and some friends stuck a Chevy 350 V8 and Turbo 350 transmission in it. With a bunch of speed parts this motor dyno'd at 262.3 horsepower and 321.8 ft./lbs. of torque in an '84 Regal Limited. We're just finishing off the project now with a Holley 650cfm double pumper carb on top of an '87 Monte Carlo SS aluminum manifold. We're gonna take it out to the strip and see what it can do September long weekend. Hopefuly we won't blow up the factory driveshaft (3" shorter) and rear end. The fit is great and we've been going about two weeks so far, and hope to have it done by Friday. Too bad it's a hack job, you might not want to carve yours up like we did. But it's all in the name of speed and "WTF is that!!!"
Got pics?
Old 07-10-2002, 05:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
Got pics?
Yes, actually there are some pics of it in progress! I'll make them available to everyone shortly.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Charles Bisel

Originally posted by mike85gn
I know I might get some flack for this...
Hey, as long as you're getting some major horsepower and speed, dropping in a Chevy 350 V8 is a great idea. I'd probably do the same thing if I had a first gen too. I mean, it's not like you're dropping in a Ford V6 or something.

-C-

Old 08-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

TT??

Would it be possible to fit something with a twin turbo in my Max?? or is there not enough space? Or would it just be better to go with the vg30et ya'll reccommended earlier?
Old 08-19-2002, 08:34 PM

Re: TT??

Dood you can so put a VG30DETT in there. Its only like $3-5k for the motor, then figure $300-1000 for the wire harness + ECU + Factory service manual. Then spend another $3k in fitting it and your done. You all the total $$, since you believe 2 turbos are better.

Originally posted by skold
Would it be possible to fit something with a twin turbo in my Max?? or is there not enough space? Or would it just be better to go with the vg30et ya'll reccommended earlier?