3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 08:26 AM

engine cutting off

It does it about every time I drive latley. It'll be running fine then all of a sudden the engine will cut out kinda like I've let off the gas but I haven't, then it will stop doing it and the cars runs fine untill it does it again. It usually only lasts a few seconds. the car doesn't die, all i have to do is let off the gas and then accelerate again! What do you guys think is wrong? i have a new fuel filter so i know it isn't that, but some times i smell a gas odor when i get out off my car after i have turned it off, and sometimes i can smell gas odor if i have the recirculation on, but not on fresh air. well i would appriciate it if you could help me. thanks
Old 07-15-2002, 08:42 AM

lately I've been havin' the same problem with my car too. I thought it was the timiin' belt but it wasn't. So I really wouldn't know what the problem is. I'm also lookin' for an answer to this too.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:14 PM

I've been having the same problem too! It started stalling at first, as if someone just turned the key off. No jerks or anything. Now I'm feeling a little lost of power on the gas on start of acceleration. I've been looking at every part of the car and I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump, it's relay, the intake sensor, or throttle position sensor. Anything else i've either cleaned or changed. If one of you fix the problem, let us all know for reference. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cutting out

I've had the smae problem for over a year its driving me nuts. So far I have replaced the plugs air filter, fuel filter twice, Throttle position sensor, MAF, and fuel pump. only thing I've been able to nail down is the problem only happens when I have less then 1/4 tank of gas. It happens while your driving along its like someone turns the key on and off several times then its gone. My Thoughts kept going back to an intermittent connection or the car going in and out of limp home mode. I passed the car on to my son and have been trying to find the problem he figured out the amount of fuel issue. This match anyone else's problem.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:52 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Re: Cutting out

Originally posted by rhard49
I've had the smae problem for over a year its driving me nuts. So far I have replaced the plugs air filter, fuel filter twice, Throttle position sensor, MAF, and fuel pump. only thing I've been able to nail down is the problem only happens when I have less then 1/4 tank of gas. It happens while your driving along its like someone turns the key on and off several times then its gone. My Thoughts kept going back to an intermittent connection or the car going in and out of limp home mode. I passed the car on to my son and have been trying to find the problem he figured out the amount of fuel issue. This match anyone else's problem.
I had similar issues and it was the MAF sensor. I replaced it once with a use one, and still had the problem. So I replace it again, and it is okay now...

I can say that I did notice that the problem came up more frequently when gas was low
Old 07-22-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: Re: Cutting out

Originally posted by blackandwhite

I had similar issues and it was the MAF sensor. I replaced it once with a use one, and still had the problem. So I replace it again, and it is okay now...

I can say that I did notice that the problem came up more frequently when gas was low
I have the same problem and if the solution was the MAF why would the level of the gas tank affect the problem?
Old 07-23-2002, 05:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

could be your MAFS like the others mentioned

new from dealer, it's something crazy like $300+
I have a used, working one for sale

craigbrace@hotmail.com if you're interested
Old 07-23-2002, 10:20 AM

I actually have the same problem right now. The car dies at city speed from time to time. On the HW it either dies or stumbles and RPMs go down to zero and back up within 1/10th of a second. This happens every day.
Tried water remover, oxigen sensor, plugs, wires, distibutor, cap and rotor, fuel filter.

What is MAF anyway?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:30 AM

I started to experience this problem as well. It happened several times yesterday. In my case, though, I noticed that it happened when I apply relatively large amount of throttle, and usually when accelerating at lower gear (1st or 2nd). It does not happen all the time, though. It just seem to happen randomly, without any warning. Very strange.

My gas was about 3/4 full when it happened last night.

Is this related to the heat soak problem (an extreme case of it perhaps?) or the problem with the cracked coils topic elsewhere (that seem to describe the same symptoms?)
Old 07-23-2002, 12:05 PM

When you replaced your MAF did you reset your ECU?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:32 AM

I'm having the same problem now. First two times the engine stumbled and lost power for a few seconds, then came right back. Last time pulling out into traffic it stalled completely. It always happens on about a 1/4 tank of gas. The ECM unit comes up with a code #11 in mode II. This is a crank angle sensor. However I can't see how a crank angle sensor could tie into the gas level in the tank. I've tested the charcoal canister and couldn't blow through it on the manifold side, as per the test in the manual. Could this create the problem?

92 SE 5 spd.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Cutting out

OK, I've got the same problem too, and it's getting worse. Same performance symptoms, but my problems are independent of fuel level.

New plugs, fuel filter, and oxygen sensor have not improved the situation.

I'm about to pop for a new fuel pump, as it seems to be the only logical thing left that would cause the whole system to lean out momentarily. I'd think if it were an injector problem one would feel rough performance, but not a complete "shut down".

Short of the fuel pump, I think I have to resort to taking it to the dealer and letting them drive it with the Consult diagnostic system on and hope that it craps out while they're testing it.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

92 SE automatic
Old 08-05-2002, 05:00 PM

i had this problem also, I thought it was the fuel pump, but then I went through a few tests to find the problem.

1. turn you key(make sure no music is on), if you hear a humming coming from the backseat, thats your pump, building up enough pressure (fuel pump is ok). No humming, check the fuses, you may need a new pump (doh!)

2. unhook your fuel filter, get the hose that is coming from the gas tank, put it into a can or bottle. Turn the key again, fuel should start coming out. If not your fuel line is crimped or clogged. (fuel line is ok)

3. fuel pumps are sometimes blamed for other problems, make sure its the fuel pump. Your pressure could also be messed up check your fuel pressure regulator (get a pressure gauge, make sure it is within the range listed in the manual).

My problem ended up being the MAF
Old 08-06-2002, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by swetdasmallstuf
i had this problem also, I thought it was the fuel pump, but then I went through a few tests to find the problem.

1. turn you key(make sure no music is on), if you hear a humming coming from the backseat, thats your pump, building up enough pressure (fuel pump is ok). No humming, check the fuses, you may need a new pump (doh!)

2. unhook your fuel filter, get the hose that is coming from the gas tank, put it into a can or bottle. Turn the key again, fuel should start coming out. If not your fuel line is crimped or clogged. (fuel line is ok)

3. fuel pumps are sometimes blamed for other problems, make sure its the fuel pump. Your pressure could also be messed up check your fuel pressure regulator (get a pressure gauge, make sure it is within the range listed in the manual).

My problem ended up being the MAF

Did you reset your ECU? Some people who replaced there MAF still have problems but I'm not sure if they reset.

Old 08-06-2002, 01:55 AM

Had the same problem but then I clean my MAF screen, K&N filter and put a walbro fuel pump in. It does not do it anymore
Old 08-06-2002, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Last night I disconnected the battery for a couple of hours to reset the ECU (some other post suggested this method, but there must be a better way), cleaned the throttle bottle as thoroughly as I could without removing it, and actually sprayed the MAF with the TB cleaner and dried it off with compressed air.

Hooked it all up and took it for a 20 min test drive without any symptoms reappearing. The real test will come when my wife drives it. She seems to be able to bring out the worst in the car.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:59 AM
Large Member

Anyone thought about injectors? They can certainly be the cause of the problem if they've been obstructed by debris. I know my problem (other than a bad cat and o2 sensor) is injectors. I've used some injector cleaner a few times and I think it worked....at first. Though, I think all this did was break some stuff free, which ended up getting the injectors dirty. My car has only died once, which was yesterday. Though, occasionally I'll turn it on after driving awhile and it will start to idle really low (~200rpm) like it is dying. My problem is solved by "generous" application of the gas pedal! Seriously, I just need to rev it and get the fuel flowing. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:28 PM

to answer an earlier question, No I did not reset my ecu, and I have not had any problems since I changed it. Although I did have to let my car run for 5-10 minutes to smooth out the idle.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but, you shouldn't be putting any liquids up in your MAF, you are dealing with sensitive electronic equipment there that measures airflow and relays it to the comp.

Injectors could be the problem, but if you have used cleaners within the past 3 months you shouldn't have a problem, unless you hang around (1/4 to empty gas) in your max. There is junk in the bottom of all of our cars (cars 5 years or older) and riding that low is just an invitation to have dirty injectors and poor idling.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by swetdasmallstuf
to answer an earlier question, No I did not reset my ecu, and I have not had any problems since I changed it. Although I did have to let my car run for 5-10 minutes to smooth out the idle.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but, you shouldn't be putting any liquids up in your MAF, you are dealing with sensitive electronic equipment there that measures airflow and relays it to the comp.

Injectors could be the problem, but if you have used cleaners within the past 3 months you shouldn't have a problem, unless you hang around (1/4 to empty gas) in your max. There is junk in the bottom of all of our cars (cars 5 years or older) and riding that low is just an invitation to have dirty injectors and poor idling.
I dont think its the injectors because the engine doesnt shake or any other symptom from a bad injector before the engine cuts off. But I am one of those fool who waits till the tank is almost E to fill the gas tank. Has anyone ever removed the gas tank and cleaned up the deposits on the bottom of the tank I doubt anyone ever has?
Old 08-07-2002, 09:43 AM

Guys, I have a perfectly running 93 GXE automatic which also stalls w/o any signs of rough or wrong idling. Any ideas?

Here is a list of what was replaced in this car:
- oxigen sensor
- fuel filter
- air filter
- dist cap and rotor, wires, plugs
- distributor itself
- computer
- fuel pump
- fuel pump relay

Nothing changed. Any ideas? The car dies 1-5 times a day no matter what RPMs, gear, outside temperature, humidity etc. are.