3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

CAI step-by-step pics needed for mechanic; ASAP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 05:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CAI step-by-step pics needed for mechanic; ASAP PLEASE!!!

my cai was never properly installed, the mechanic that did it was either unknowledgable and/or too lazy to do it the right way, and as of now it is installed as the S-shaped pipe w/ the K&N filter stuck on the end of it, as opposed to being routed through the fender behind the fuse box. since my car is at the transmission shop getting a new tranny, i went by the place yesterday and asked the guy if, when he puts the new tranny back in, he can install the cai the correct way (he also said that there is a chance the cai's improper install could have been contributing to my cars rough shifting issues). my problem is that he would like a pictured account of how to properly install the cai; i more or less showed him at the place how the pipes would need to be situated in the engine bay, and how the filter would be stuck on the end of the pipe and be concealed behind my fender, etc etc... but he said that, if possible, he would prefer a detailed writeup w/ pictures to ensure that he does it the right way. i am dropping by on my lunch break (4 hrs from now) and would like to have something printed out to give him so he can get going on doing the **** on my car. does anyone have links to, or pictures of their own, showing cai install on a 3rd gen vg... i searched under 'cold air install' 'intake installation' 'intake install pictures' and several other such search topics, and couldn't really find anything; the best thing i got so far was chris91se's pics of his engine bay, cuz that at least sort of shows the end of the intake being routed to the fender. can anyone help me though please? preferably sooner than later. thanks in advance

NICK
Old 07-17-2002, 06:29 AM

Re: CAI step-by-step pics needed for mechanic; ASAP PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by NixMaxGXE
ASAP PLEASE!!!

well then you better start searching...i know i've seen pictured instructions somewhere. go to the maxima.org homepage, click on shoptalk...then there's a modifications page that shows how to do it, i think it was a 4th gen though. what CAI is it? do you still have the template for cutting out the hole?
Old 07-17-2002, 06:30 AM

Re: Re: CAI step-by-step pics needed for mechanic; ASAP PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by noleafclover

well then you better start searching...i know i've seen pictured instructions somewhere.
oh yeah, no pics, but warpspeedperformance's website has detailed instructions...http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissaninstall.htm
Old 07-17-2002, 07:07 AM

ILL PAYPAL YOU FOR HELP

no i dont have the template anymore (its a place racing, but i got it on ebay and the one thing the guy didn't include was the template for the hole). however, that part isn't that difficult; one can more or less see where the hole must be cut, since there is already one there. if anyone can find me some detailed instructions for a 3rd gen vg (preferably w/ pics) i'll paypal em 10 bucks. i really need these instructions so i can bring em to my mechanic in a couple hrs. thanks guys.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:28 AM

Well then go to warpspeed .com and look up cai install
I also think u can download the temp plate not sure! But the write up is as good as its going to get. If he cant follow those instructions his boss needs to fire is a**! I'm no mechanic and i did it by myself in a 1 1/2 with no help! Good luck ! I suggest do it yourself!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by ron4291
Well then go to warpspeed .com and look up cai install
I also think u can download the temp plate not sure! But the write up is as good as its going to get. If he cant follow those instructions his boss needs to fire is a**! I'm no mechanic and i did it by myself in a 1 1/2 with no help! Good luck ! I suggest do it yourself!
i am going to try that as it seems no one will be able to find me sufficient pics w/ in the next hr or hr and a half, but i have a PR CAI, and isn't warpspeed's somewhat different? i dont know if it would make a difference in the instructions, but i figured it might.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:39 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by NixMaxGXE
(he also said that there is a chance the cai's improper install could have been contributing to my cars rough shifting issues). NICK
I don't believe that has anything to do with your trans or shifting problems....if that was the case the guys with regular intakes like me would be having shifting problems...thats a load of BS, but you do need to get it intstalled properly.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: CAI step-by-step pics needed for mechanic; ASAP PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by nupe500

I don't believe that has anything to do with your trans or shifting problems....if that was the case the guys with regular intakes like me would be having shifting problems...thats a load of BS, but you do need to get it intstalled properly.
It could if the guy that installed it didn't plug the resistor up for the transmission. I think you have to move that resistor when you take the air intake box out. If he didn't plug it back up or broke it then the transmission would shift hard.

First look and see if that resistor is there and if its plugged up.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: Re: CAI step-by-step pics needed for mechanic; ASAP PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by awsm66

It could if the guy that installed it didn't plug the resistor up for the transmission. I think you have to move that resistor when you take the air intake box out. If he didn't plug it back up or broke it then the transmission would shift hard.

RIght you ARE...didn't think about that!...thanx....**
Old 07-17-2002, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: CAI step-by-step pics needed for mechanic; ASAP PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by awsm66

thank you, i'll def. tell this guy to make sure he checks that. good looks
Old 07-17-2002, 05:21 PM

when you ordered your cai did you specify upper tube only? when you got your cai did it have 2 tubes? if not then it is installed properly... if you dont have any extra tubes then there is nothing you can do.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:37 PM

if u want i can fax u all the info of the CAI....

let me know.

l8er
Old 07-18-2002, 06:00 AM

Heres the only pics I could find, its of a ve though. I dont know if it will work for you though.CAI VE Pics