3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

spring and strut question please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

spring and strut question please!!!

hey guys i know there is alot of information out there on this topic and yes i have been reading them for about 2 hours now and still not answered my questions. so here they are. I am wanting to lower my car but do not have the money to get springs and struts so which springs should i get to go with my stock struts????? the eibachs or the sprints or any other brand. i have heard that the eibachs to do not lower enough to notice. and also will i need to buy a camber kit. i just got my new tires yest. and dont want to hurt them. thanks alot for the help guys. Jonathan
Old 07-20-2002, 02:54 PM

owww yeah and one more thing to add i have 17"x8" konig monsoons with 235x40zr17" tires. so i dont want to rub the tires. i have about 3" in the front and about 2" in the back because of system so that is something else to think about. thanks alot fot the help. jonathan
Old 07-20-2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Jon610
owww yeah and one more thing to add i have 17"x8" konig monsoons with 235x40zr17" tires. so i dont want to rub the tires. i have about 3" in the front and about 2" in the back because of system so that is something else to think about. thanks alot fot the help. jonathan
you can use anything you want but if you lower it, the handling will not be great till you 1) lose some weight in the trunk... take it from someone who had a huge system and had the a.S.S end sag going on! Eibachs are great springs if you do a lot of driving on the interstate or over 40mph at least as the are progressive and are designed for racing. The Sprints likewise are great and create a larger drop between 1.8in-2in depending on sag after the settling. Just depends on how much you want to spend because with the sprints you must get some kind of camber adjustment to run proerly, or else you will mess up you suspension. As for the EIbachs the camber is a minor change and I have not noticed any uneven wear on my Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's.

Just to let you know I own both typ of springs and have sdriven on both.

Jared
Old 07-20-2002, 04:18 PM

thanks for the info dude but will i damage my stock struts with new springs???? and do the eibachs lower any???? and what does a camber kit cost ??? thanks alot
Old 07-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

thanks for the info dude but will i damage my stock struts with new springs???? and do the eibachs lower any???? and what does a camber kit cost ??? thanks alot
I think the Eibachs look good...not as low but yes you do see a difference. Look in my sig my 93 has eibachs and my 90 is stock...you can see a difference.

My car has stock struts because the guy I got it from didn't change the struts when he put springs on it and I don't know what to compare it too but it is not bouncy at all as a matter of fact its not that much different than stock except over hard bumps.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:49 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Oh yeah I almost forgot...I dont have a camber correction kit.
Old 07-20-2002, 06:52 PM

do your tires wear bad???? thanks for your help and do you know some where i can get some cheap eibachs?? thanks jonathan
Old 07-20-2002, 07:04 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

do your tires wear bad???? thanks for your help and do you know some where i can get some cheap eibachs?? thanks jonathan
I just put new tires on and havent driven it enough to notice anything out of the ordinary. Well actually the tires are several months old but I hardly drive the car but no unusual wear. Just be sure to get an alignment after you install them.

For Eibach spring prices just do a search on Google or something and find the cheapest prices. I didn't buy mine so I cant tell you of a good place...sorry.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:55 PM

I've got The Eibach springs on my 93'. It does drop the car a noticable amount, but its not in the weeds. I put tokico struts on. I did this last year, and the tok's have softened quite a bit. When I was doing the research on the Eibachs, I saw many posts about ANY lowering springs trashing stock struts in a couple of months time.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:59 AM

Eibach's will lower 1.2".
The camber kit is $28.
www.tirerack.com
Old 07-21-2002, 05:33 PM

Re: spring and strut question please!!!

hey guys i know there is alot of information out there on this topic and yes i have been reading them for about 2 hours now and still not answered my questions. so here they are. I am wanting to lower my car but do not have the money to get springs and struts so which springs should i get to go with my stock struts????? the eibachs or the sprints or any other brand. i have heard that the eibachs to do not lower enough to notice. and also will i need to buy a camber kit. i just got my new tires yest. and dont want to hurt them. thanks alot for the help guys. Jonathan
I have eibachs and tokicos for 2 years now and I've taken trips to Boston from New York 2 times. It rides fine, not too rough. Don't worry, you will notice the drop. Unless you want a extreme drop (sprints), go with eibachs, they are better springs.
Final note: You should wait until you save enough money and get springs and struts together because you wont have to worry about killing your stock struts.

I have bridestones and I had 2 alignments but I notice some uneven wear, I believe is negative camber so I'm getting a camber kit.
Good luck!
Old 07-22-2002, 12:53 PM

a note about eibachs: only the rear are progressive springrate. The front's are linear. Many springs are set up the same way. I've only seen 1 maxima spring that has progressive fronts.

Eibach says they're set up this way so you can load up your trunk or back seat and still have a comfortable ride. It doesn't do much for performance.

Jae