3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Problem with heater/ac control unit???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem with heater/ac control unit???

I have a 1992 gxe. The heater/ac stopped working recently. For a while it would work now and then, randomly. When it worked the AC heater worked fine. Now it will come on for a second every now and then if I mess with it. First I removed and serviced the blower motor, as this used to be a common problem with my 90 stanza gxe. I then realized the the lights on the control unit do not come on at all anymore. Would this sugest the problem is with the heater/ac control unit? Is there a way to test it? What else can I do to narrow the problem down?

Cheers,
Matthew
Old 07-26-2002, 01:27 PM
OG and counting...

From the looks of things, it could be the control is jacked up. You might do better by replacing it. Also, make sure the fuses and everything else is in working order.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Problem with heater/ac control unit???

Yes I did check the fuses. I had all of the dash apart looking for something, but stopped short of pulling the control unit out. Could it be a relay? Or would the lights on the control unit still be lit if it was a relay? Is there a way to test the control unit if I remove it? How much is a new heater/ac control unit, I guess I can check online but just curious if someone has done this recently.

Cheers,
Matthew

Originally posted by mduggan
I have a 1992 gxe. The heater/ac stopped working recently. For a while it would work now and then, randomly. When it worked the AC heater worked fine. Now it will come on for a second every now and then if I mess with it. First I removed and serviced the blower motor, as this used to be a common problem with my 90 stanza gxe. I then realized the the lights on the control unit do not come on at all anymore. Would this sugest the problem is with the heater/ac control unit? Is there a way to test it? What else can I do to narrow the problem down?

Cheers,
Matthew
Old 09-06-2002, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem Solved

I after doing all I could do with my limited resources and knowledge I took the car to the dealer. They had the car for a couple of days and finally determined it was a bad ground in the wiring harness for the heater control unit. They wired a new ground into the harness and everything is working again. They were nice and only charged me 3 hours. Hope this may help someone someday.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:07 PM

Re: Problem Solved

Originally posted by mduggan
I after doing all I could do with my limited resources and knowledge I took the car to the dealer. They had the car for a couple of days and finally determined it was a bad ground in the wiring harness for the heater control unit. They wired a new ground into the harness and everything is working again. They were nice and only charged me 3 hours. Hope this may help someone someday.
If you had searched, you would have found a very similar post a couple days ago, in which I replied that it was a problem with the wiring... It could have saved you a ton of cash and only taken about 30 minutes.