3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can cleaning your engine add horsepower? :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 04:59 PM

Can cleaning your engine add horsepower? :)

Well I just cleaned the Throttle Body, changed the Oil(Mobil One) and filter(Pure One), replaced the plugs(NGK instead of the stupid Champions that I bought when I was broke) and cleaned the engine(with gumout engine cleaner) and now my car is really hopping...

I swear it feels like a new car. It really pulls in every gear now. I was worried that the car wouldn't start after I cleaned the engine but it started(and continued running) on the first try.

I guess it's new incentive to keep the engine clean and purchase quality parts....
Old 07-28-2002, 07:50 PM

hehe well it won't actually add any horses but it does improve performance a little bit. Kinda like eating a lot of vitamins and minerals all the time won't make you buff and strong but will just keep you in peak condition and make sure you are healthy . Same with cars, taking care of them and replacing parts and doing the necessary maintenance won't add hp, but will make sure that the car actually works like it should. Cars that are not taken care of well are usually performing worse than they stock potential.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Can cleaning your engine add horsepower? :)

Originally posted by SmithAtlanta
Well I just cleaned the Throttle Body, changed the Oil(Mobil One) and filter(Pure One), replaced the plugs(NGK instead of the stupid Champions that I bought when I was broke) and cleaned the engine(with gumout engine cleaner) and now my car is really hopping...

I swear it feels like a new car. It really pulls in every gear now. I was worried that the car wouldn't start after I cleaned the engine but it started(and continued running) on the first try.

I guess it's new incentive to keep the engine clean and purchase quality parts....
did u replace the spark plug??
Old 07-28-2002, 07:58 PM

Good stuff, I got to clean out my throttle body and change my plugs. Will do A.S.A.P. You were the incentive into doing this.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:15 PM

restores power..not add..
Old 07-28-2002, 09:10 PM

Re: Re: Can cleaning your engine add horsepower? :)

Originally posted by Terry28

did u replace the spark plug
Originally posted by SmithAtlanta

replaced the plugs(NGK instead of the stupid Champions that I bought when I was broke)
i'm not sure. he was kind of ambiguous on that point.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:11 PM

BTW, that was sarcasm. yes, he did replace the plugs.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What your experiencing is the return of your car's normal potential. There are a few more things you might want to consider doing. 1. Replace the dreaded fuel filter; 2. Clean or replace PCV valve; 3. Change transmission oil / fluid to a good synthetic like AMSOIL or Redline. I have had great results switching 2 automatics to AMSOIL Synthetic ATF. The things you have done should increase your mpg!
Be well!!!!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:28 PM

An Added Bonus

i recently did this also, minus tha spark plug change (still rollin wit tha bosch 4 platinum).....i have an SE and of course i had the VTC tick (at least thats what i assumed it to be)....but after doin the engine cleanin and replacing my oil wit mobil 1 syn., i added a product that aids in cleaning lifter valves and too my surprise, my car no longer has the tick, i don't know if it helped lubricate the VTC's or what, but my car no longer ticks (knock on wood) on start ups or when i'm driving and my low end has increased some. Some SE owners might want to try it if you haven't already and your VTC's aren't tickin to bad or loud!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by karguy
What your experiencing is the return of your car's normal potential. There are a few more things you might want to consider doing. 1. Replace the dreaded fuel filter; 2. Clean or replace PCV valve; 3. Change transmission oil / fluid to a good synthetic like AMSOIL or Redline. I have had great results switching 2 automatics to AMSOIL Synthetic ATF. The things you have done should increase your mpg!
Be well!!!!
I replaced the fuel filter about 3 months ago(It made a little difference but not much) and I have a PCV Valve sitting on my work bench but I am waiting for the Chilton's book to arrive. I have the Nissan Service Manual for my 93 Max but I would like a step by step on how to do it....

I need to look into changing all the fluids in the car. I unfortunately had to get a new Power Steering pump late last year so I don't have to change that fluid but I need to drain the radiator and change the tranny fluid...

Thanks for the advice...
Old 07-29-2002, 06:38 AM

Re: An Added Bonus

Originally posted by maxdout92se
i recently did this also, minus tha spark plug change (still rollin wit tha bosch 4 platinum).....i have an SE and of course i had the VTC tick (at least thats what i assumed it to be)....but after doin the engine cleanin and replacing my oil wit mobil 1 syn., i added a product that aids in cleaning lifter valves and too my surprise, my car no longer has the tick, i don't know if it helped lubricate the VTC's or what, but my car no longer ticks (knock on wood) on start ups or when i'm driving and my low end has increased some. Some SE owners might want to try it if you haven't already and your VTC's aren't tickin to bad or loud!!!
That's good info. If you can remember the product name, I would love to try it out with my next oil change.... My VTC's only click when the car is warming up but I would try anything to help prolong their lives...
Old 07-29-2002, 09:59 AM

So what's this product's name, and how do you apply it?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:20 AM

sorry for leavin you guys hangin like that.....i can't remember the name of the product, but if i'm not mistaken, its made by Gunk and i bought it at discount auto parts.....its a black bottle (shaped like some of the fuel injection cleaners) and on the front it says something like vavle restorer.....after you change ya oil, you just add it to your new oil and it says drive instantly....now at first, my car ticked when i cranked it up, but when i went for a drive later on that day, no tick......i apologize that i can't remember the name, but i'm goin to go to the parts store and look for it again so i can give you guys the definate name....its made by gunk though...hope that helps until i get the name!!!