3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

how many of you have done VTC rewire mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm just curious to see how many people have done it besides myself
Old 12-12-2000, 12:15 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I haven't done it yet, but I did note, based upon a lot of others' posts, that 'chattering' noise. So I'll probably look to doing the rewire job in the near future. (heck, I've got to find a tranny first, though)
Old 12-12-2000, 01:14 PM
davis449

I was going to do it but my dad said he doesn't trust it so I can't. Hey he pays the insurance so I don't contest it. I do, however, REALLY want to do it. That ticking annoys me severely.

Old 12-12-2000, 01:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

So Craig, does it ground it so the VTCs are always advanced(off) or always on, retarded Just want to know! Not that I need to know hehe
Old 12-12-2000, 01:34 PM

honestly...

I can't remember off hand =). I would be able to tell you if I had my FSM with me, but it's at home and I'm at school. I could tell you in a few days if you want. In the FSM, as you probably already know, there is a big section that describes how the VTC works. I need to see that diagram to tell you because I mixed up about it since all these people here are saying different things.
Originally posted by Jeff92se
So Craig, does it ground it so the VTCs are always advanced(off) or always on, retarded Just want to know! Not that I need to know hehe
Old 12-12-2000, 01:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: honestly...

HEHE! Didn't mean to confuse you. I wanted to know beucase someone else said they did the re-wire and the low end was great and the high end suffered. I tended to disagree so that's why I wanted to know for sure.

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
I can't remember off hand =). I would be able to tell you if I had my FSM with me, but it's at home and I'm at school. I could tell you in a few days if you want. In the FSM, as you probably already know, there is a big section that describes how the VTC works. I need to see that diagram to tell you because I mixed up about it since all these people here are saying different things.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:50 PM

Re: Re: honestly...

I think you're right; low end is lacking still after the rewire. I think high end is plenty fine. I'm sure you were right anyway since you're the "VTC Master" =) I don't really know too much about the VTC other than how to rewire it.

HEHE! Didn't mean to confuse you. I wanted to know beucase someone else said they did the re-wire and the low end was great and the high end suffered. I tended to disagree so that's why I wanted to know for sure.
Old 12-12-2000, 05:50 PM

that be me!

I have done the rewire and I hav an FSM right here in front of me. Here are the basics:

Two wires to the VTC solenoids-
red/black = constant 12V from ignition
yellow/green = ECU control

Now, I'm not able to find what voltages from the ECU controls what VTC function.

VTC operation-
what the FSM describes as 'VTC ON' is when the intake cams are advanced, valve overlap is increased and the engine torque curve favors the lower-end power (power peaks quick and tapers off gradually). Oil pressure is trapped in the VTC unit and pushes the cam to the advanced position.
VTC OFF is when the intake cams are retarded, valve overlap is decreased, and power gradually builds up to a peak at a higher RPM. This is when oil pressure passes right through the VTC and solenoid and keeps the cam retarded.

Going back to what voltage does what- as a test for the solenoids, the FSM suggests jacking up the front wheels, putting the car in gear, then stabbing the gas and letting off quick. Then, the voltage of the Y/G wire should be between 0.2 and 0.5 V. Then I guess, when it settls back into idle, the voltage should be 12V.

So what does a 0 Voltage (grounded) position do exactly? I can't find it anywhere. Perhaps what we need to do is wire a constant 12V to the Y/G wire, which will keep the cams retarded and give high end power?

It's just that my engine seems to have plenty of low-end torque, but runs out of breath at about 5000rpms.

Anybody hve any other clues?
Old 12-12-2000, 06:00 PM

interesting....

found one more item of interest.

the FSM says to check VTC solenoid operation, to connect a ground between the ECU terminal 113 (the Y/G wire) to ground. then to start the engine and see if there is an 'improper idle condition'. I have noticed none, except a cold start the othr morning where the engine rpm's went up and down a bit for a couple seconds (usually doesnt do that, but it wasnt that severe).

so yah, I am confused.

how much do new VTC's go for (parts, not labor)
Old 12-12-2000, 08:21 PM

Re: interesting....

Originally posted by RosenKen
found one more item of interest.

the FSM says to check VTC solenoid operation, to connect a ground between the ECU terminal 113 (the Y/G wire) to ground. then to start the engine and see if there is an 'improper idle condition'. I have noticed none, except a cold start the othr morning where the engine rpm's went up and down a bit for a couple seconds (usually doesnt do that, but it wasnt that severe).

so yah, I am confused.

how much do new VTC's go for (parts, not labor)
it says that on my website too on one of the pages