3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Door locks unlock by themselves after a few secs....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 04:39 PM
JAV

I've got an 89' SE with 150k on it and this problems just started happening. Everytime I lock the doors with either the key or inside door switch it stays locked for a few secs then unlocks all by itself. Since it's the driver side door it obviously unlocks all the doors. As you are probably aware this really sucks cause you can't really leave your car parked anywhere since it's basically wide open to the public. The stock alarm does however, go off if I open any door after having locked the car and it unlocking itself.

Anyone out have any idea of how to fix or at the very least disable the powerdoor locks on my Max? Really sucks this time of year since it's Christmas season and I can't shop with this car for fear of all the stuff I buy vanishing before I return from the store.

Old 12-12-2000, 08:19 PM
Maxima Princess

Your door lock timer is probably failing & I have no idea on how to disable them. sorry

[Edited by Sarah91se on 12-13-2000 at 12:11 PM]
Old 12-13-2000, 01:07 PM
Foo90SE

My car does the same sometimes, but opposite. I dont think the cars before 92' had door lock timers, not sure though. But there is probably a fuse for them, or you can take the switch panel out of the drivers door and just disconnect the plug from the switch probably(though you may lose power windows at the same time, not sure).

Old 12-13-2000, 02:06 PM
Get Off My Lawn

There's an older thread concerning this. Though, I thought that in order for the alarm to activate, the doors had to stay shut and locked for 30 secs? If it's only staying locked for a few secs, and you can't afford anything major right now, just reach up under the stearing column and unplug your alarm and see if it stops. That way, you can still lock your car and it stay locked. Then, I'd just put an aftermarket alarm in. IMO.
Old 12-14-2000, 11:36 AM
JAV

Thanks

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
There's an older thread concerning this. Though, I thought that in order for the alarm to activate, the doors had to stay shut and locked for 30 secs? If it's only staying locked for a few secs, and you can't afford anything major right now, just reach up under the stearing column and unplug your alarm and see if it stops. That way, you can still lock your car and it stay locked. Then, I'd just put an aftermarket alarm in. IMO.
I'll try and find that particular post....we are talking stock alarm aren't we? I've tried that with no success, I've even disconnected my aftermarket alarm with no success. Someone told me a while back that they thought it was the door handle itself or an actuator of some type but that's a $200 dollar part if it's only a guess I'd rather wait until I get something more definite.

Old 12-18-2000, 09:03 AM
JAV

Thanks

Originally posted by Foo90SE
My car does the same sometimes, but opposite. I dont think the cars before 92' had door lock timers, not sure though. But there is probably a fuse for them, or you can take the switch panel out of the drivers door and just disconnect the plug from the switch probably(though you may lose power windows at the same time, not sure).
Found the posting that was mentioned in one of these replies but you're right about it supposedly not affecting 89-91 since they are not supposed to have door lock timers. Sounds to me like you may need these timers though to at least take care of your problem. I guess for the time being I'm still stuck trying to figure out this stupid door lock problem. Just wish there was a fuse I could kill that take care of this but no fuse deals with power door locks, not sure if there is anything under the hood that would help? Any Ideas out there?

Old 12-18-2000, 11:42 AM

My 93 GXE does something similar. Sometimes when locking from inside, it will lock and almost instantly unlock and sometimes relock and unlock again. It happens now and then. On cold days the touch pad will not work, unless a non-"ST" key is pushed first. Then the ST key will work. Don't know if the two are related. Any ideas?

On the Road
Old 12-20-2000, 03:55 PM
JAV

Originally posted by OnTheRoad
My 93 GXE does something similar. Sometimes when locking from inside, it will lock and almost instantly unlock and sometimes relock and unlock again. It happens now and then. On cold days the touch pad will not work, unless a non-"ST" key is pushed first. Then the ST key will work. Don't know if the two are related. Any ideas?

On the Road
Sounds like your door lock timer needs replacing since it's a 93 and this is a problem on Maximas after 92.

Old 12-21-2000, 07:53 AM

Where's the door lock timer and how much does it cost? Any way to test it before repacing?

On the Road.

93 Maxima GXE
Old 12-21-2000, 08:26 AM
JAV

I don't know that there is a way to test but the timer is supposedly under the steering wheel column or just under the dash by the steering wheel column. Run a search on "door locks" and you'll come across a posting that list a website with all the particulars on this issue. Best of luck. I don't beleive the part was more than $80 dollars. The site even list the part # so you can order direct from Courtesy Nissan.

Old 01-31-2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by JAV
I don't know that there is a way to test but the timer is supposedly under the steering wheel column or just under the dash by the steering wheel column. Run a search on "door locks" and you'll come across a posting that list a website with all the particulars on this issue. Best of luck. I don't beleive the part was more than $80 dollars. The site even list the part # so you can order direct from Courtesy Nissan.

Jay, did you finally find out what was causing your problem.

I have a 91 SE and am having the same exact problems you are having. The only difference is that my door stay locked for more than 30 seconds (more like 10 minutes) and then they open by themselves.
Someone stated that the 89-91 do not have door lock timers.

Does anyone out there know the solution to this problem. I have been disconnecting my battery (as a quick fix) for meantime, but really need help.