3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help..Do it yourself gone bad..again

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 09:09 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Help..Do it yourself gone bad..again

Okay,

I tried to change my ball joints. Here's what I did wrong: On the driver's side I took off the bottom 3 bolts before the top one. When I tried to undo the top one, I pull the CV joint out of the tranny. Now I had done this before, when I was changing the strut, but this time, as soon as it came out, there was a big stream of red colored fluid coming out of the tranny.

The fluid looks a lot like ATF, but I have a 5 speed.

So I guess these are my questions:

1. What is the red fluid? Or better yet, if I pulled the axle out what should leak? Gear oil? Something else? Differential fluid?

2. Can I just push the CV joint back in like before, or does the fact that I got a fluid leak this time and not last time indicate I need to replace a seal or something?

3. I have a VE 5-speed. Not sure whether or not I have the limited-slip differential. In fact, I don't even really know what limited slip differential is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Here is what I basically think about all of this. I am going to pull the axle from the hub so I can get an impact on the ball joint top nut.

Next, my assumption is that the fluid that is leaking is SUPPOSED to be gear oil, but the place that just did my clutch job replaced it with ATF fluid or some other incorrect thin red oil.

My next assumption is that I can just push the CV joint back in and give it a little tap as I did before, and it should be okay.

This is what I am going to do right now. I am very slow at this stuff, so any suggestions would help me out tremendously, thanks again.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Help..Do it yourself gone bad..again

Originally posted by blackandwhite
Okay,

I tried to change my ball joints. Here's what I did wrong: On the driver's side I took off the bottom 3 bolts before the top one. When I tried to undo the top one, I pull the CV joint out of the tranny. Now I had done this before, when I was changing the strut, but this time, as soon as it came out, there was a big stream of red colored fluid coming out of the tranny.

The fluid looks a lot like ATF, but I have a 5 speed.

So I guess these are my questions:

1. What is the red fluid? Or better yet, if I pulled the axle out what should leak? Gear oil? Something else? Differential fluid?

2. Can I just push the CV joint back in like before, or does the fact that I got a fluid leak this time and not last time indicate I need to replace a seal or something?

3. I have a VE 5-speed. Not sure whether or not I have the limited-slip differential. In fact, I don't even really know what limited slip differential is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Here is what I basically think about all of this. I am going to pull the axle from the hub so I can get an impact on the ball joint top nut.

Next, my assumption is that the fluid that is leaking is SUPPOSED to be gear oil, but the place that just did my clutch job replaced it with ATF fluid or some other incorrect thin red oil.

My next assumption is that I can just push the CV joint back in and give it a little tap as I did before, and it should be okay.

This is what I am going to do right now. I am very slow at this stuff, so any suggestions would help me out tremendously, thanks again.
1 it's probably just dirty gear oil..might have a red tinge to it. when you yank the axle out it's gear oil for 5spd and ATF for slushy.

2 if you didn't damage the seal you should be ok w/ slapping it back in and drive off w/o leaks.

3 LSD...one wheel slips..it applys torque to the other wheel..only at a limited basis and at a limited power. quick test...slip one wheel..a LSD should spin the other wheel the same direction. if it goes the other direction then it's open diff...pretty sure u got LSD.

your game plan.
-replace the ball joint. keep everything clean.
-but axle back in the tranny
-get some redline gear oil (MTL or MT-90...i forgot)..if not get a good syn gear oil...make sure it's for a LSD application.
-fill the oil back up using filler plug or i believe Jeff mentioned speedo cable? or port? hole? something like that.
-get a few bars of soap and some shampoo
-get a bag of safety asorbent

you should be good to go.
oh and...
-take a good shower...gear oil stinks like ****.
-pat yourself on the back that u just changed your ball joints.
-kick yourself in the **** because now you have to get 3 gallons of degreaser to get the exxon valdez oil spill off your driveway/garage/road.
enjoy!
Old 08-11-2002, 11:17 AM
bjyang

correct....its the speedo cable. unscrew the screw with a screw driver or 10mm socket(i believe) and it pulls out. Make sure you got one of those long funnels for the gear oil.

Old 08-11-2002, 05:39 PM

There's just a regular plug on the front side of the tranny near the starter. There's probably a darker black spot around from from previous gear oil changes (a little always drips out). It's a circular plug with a square that you just stick a bare ratchet into (no socket). It's one of the big rachets (1/2" drive?). Takes about 4.5 quarts.

I just replaced my ball joints and tie rods the other day, yeah it's a LOT easier if you take the axles out of the hub side.