3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Injector install problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Injector install problem?

Hello all

Just wanted to say I've been reading posts for almost a year now and I think it's great! This is my first post. The search function has been so useful to me that I haven't had to post...until now.

I have a '91 GXE (I believe a VG engine). My car has had a rough idle ever since I bought it a year ago. Even after the following was replaced: fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, timing set. Realized eventually it was one or more of the injectors. Last week the injector I suspected(due to weird clicking as compared to the rest), #1 went out. This was confirmed by the dealer. I discovered another injector problem earlier. #5 was replaced by a dealer 2 years ago under the previous owner. When I pulled the intake manifold, I discovered that #5 was replaced with a blue dot and the rest are black...So, to fix both problems I decided to replace all 6. Ordered rebuilt injectors from Sunrise carb and injector and installed last weekend....RESULTING PROBLEM: I started the car and had white smoke from exhaust. This went away after sluggishly driving around the block and to the gas station.....My problem now is that when I tried to start the car 3 hours later and ever since, the "check engine" light is on and the car will not idle. It dies about 5 seconds after I start it. I was very meticulous about labeling hoses and wires so I can't seem to find anything wrong with my install. I used vaseline on the o-rings, I used new intake gaskets, torqued everything to spec.....what the heck? Any ideas? I'm not that knowledgeable so my only next move is to pull the injectors and make sure the o-rings survived my install. If anyone knows of anything else I should check before I go through THAT again, it would be much appreciated....thanks!
Old 08-05-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Injector install problem?

yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooo. a model to every other newbie!!

Originally posted by dozier4
The search function has been so useful to me that I haven't had to post...until now.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Injector install problem?

dude..when I did mine a while back, trust me it took me 3 tries to get the god damn O-rings right...the first time I had 3 cracked, took the manifold off, sent the rings back and got new ones, re did it, #3 and 5 cracked...ARGHHHHH!!!!!!! had my buddies at the local shop do it finally after that they got it right...now my fuel pump is dying (ah well I'll repolace that tommorow after work) I think the shutting off would equate to one of the injectors probably leaking, I'm not saying take the whole thing off again, but I bet its those GOD DAMN O-RINGS...hope this helps
Old 08-05-2002, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Injector install problem?

Originally posted by DA-MAX
dude..when I did mine a while back, trust me it took me 3 tries to get the god damn O-rings right...the first time I had 3 cracked, took the manifold off, sent the rings back and got new ones, re did it, #3 and 5 cracked...ARGHHHHH!!!!!!! had my buddies at the local shop do it finally after that they got it right...now my fuel pump is dying (ah well I'll repolace that tommorow after work) I think the shutting off would equate to one of the injectors probably leaking, I'm not saying take the whole thing off again, but I bet its those GOD DAMN O-RINGS...hope this helps
At this point, I probably will need to go back in and check the o-rings. It seems so common on this forum; even more so after your post. I just want to cover any other bases first...if there are any. I may take back to the dealer to find out exactly why the check eng. light is coming on. I just hate ("and I'm using the word hate...") to bring it to them. Last time they had my car they told me the injectors were leaking and that I shouldn't drive the car until I paid them $2500 to replace all 6! I bring the car home cuz I'm not the idiot they thought, get in the engine an find that the gas leaking is from the fuel rail. Those crooks didn't bother to tighten the clams on the rubber lines! Even found a piece of the tech's rubber glove stuck in the screw. Going to see if I can find a trusted mechanic that can read the error codes.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Injector install problem?

good luck man...its a damn quest though I tell you. took me 3 months to straighen things out 100%!!! hope you get it solved!

At this point, I probably will need to go back in and check the o-rings. It seems so common on this forum; even more so after your post. I just want to cover any other bases first...if there are any. I may take back to the dealer to find out exactly why the check eng. light is coming on. I just hate ("and I'm using the word hate...") to bring it to them. Last time they had my car they told me the injectors were leaking and that I shouldn't drive the car until I paid them $2500 to replace all 6! I bring the car home cuz I'm not the idiot they thought, get in the engine an find that the gas leaking is from the fuel rail. Those crooks didn't bother to tighten the clams on the rubber lines! Even found a piece of the tech's rubber glove stuck in the screw. Going to see if I can find a trusted mechanic that can read the error codes.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Injector install problem?

Originally posted by DA-MAX
good luck man...its a damn quest though I tell you. took me 3 months to straighen things out 100%!!! hope you get it solved!

I just changed all my injectors about 3 months ago, and had the exact same problem you had. Put some silicone grease on the o-rings, this prevents them from drying out and cracking. I pulled apart the intake plenum 3 times before I did it right.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Injector install problem?

Did you use the old O-rings or new ones? When I did the fuel injectors for my se-r I had a fuel dump problem in #3. So I wipped out the old petro jelly and lubed all the o-rings again and never had anymore problems. BTW I used new o-rings with mine since the fsm says to replace them when removed anyway.

Old 08-06-2002, 06:46 AM

Including the O Rings, I would also check that you properly seated the injectors, as that can be tricky. Secondly, I would check to assure that you pulled out both O-Rings when you took the old ones out. On the 89-91's, there are two. The second one always lingered and didn't come out right away. I used oil to lube mine and when inserting the injectors, turned them, and then they properly inserted. They should seat down nicely.

Sounds like you have the whole procedure down pretty well, but if you'd like to check anything, I wrote out the whole procedure on my web site with pictures.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Bryan91SE
Including the O Rings, I would also check that you properly seated the injectors, as that can be tricky. Secondly, I would check to assure that you pulled out both O-Rings when you took the old ones out. On the 89-91's, there are two. The second one always lingered and didn't come out right away. I used oil to lube mine and when inserting the injectors, turned them, and then they properly inserted. They should seat down nicely.

Sounds like you have the whole procedure down pretty well, but if you'd like to check anything, I wrote out the whole procedure on my web site with pictures.
I pulled the fuel rail to get at the injectors. Used a deep socket to push out the inj., pulled the o-rings that were still in the rail and wiped any residue out. I used petro jelly on NEW o-rings but I only put a light coat as perscribed by someone on the forum. Thought the new inj's seated well because I could feel them slide into place..but I guess I wouldn't necessarily feel it if the o-ring ripped or didn't seal. I will go back in this weekend...After some more searching lastnight, I think I'll replace the spark plugs just in case. I have some new copper NGKs.

One more thing probably worth mentioning. I was concerned because the plugs that attach to inj's had green stuff in them so I bought some electrical cleaner spray and sprayed in the plugs before I put them back on. The stuff claims not to leave residue but it didn't dry up quick like the brake cleaner does. Has anyone used this stuff before? Was it safe to do what I did?
Old 08-06-2002, 11:33 AM

I pulled the fuel rail to get at the injectors. Used a deep socket to push out the inj., pulled the o-rings that were still in the rail and wiped any residue out. I used petro jelly on NEW o-rings but I only put a light coat as perscribed by someone on the forum. Thought the new inj's seated well because I could feel them slide into place..but I guess I wouldn't necessarily feel it if the o-ring ripped or didn't seal. I will go back in this weekend...After some more searching lastnight, I think I'll replace the spark plugs just in case. I have some new copper NGKs.

One more thing probably worth mentioning. I was concerned because the plugs that attach to inj's had green stuff in them so I bought some electrical cleaner spray and sprayed in the plugs before I put them back on. The stuff claims not to leave residue but it didn't dry up quick like the brake cleaner does. Has anyone used this stuff before? Was it safe to do what I did?
When you cleaned the residue out of the fuel rails, you should use your finger to make sure there is nothing still there. I used some Acetone on a q-tip to dissolve the old o-ring residue out of the fuel rail. I had no leaking problems with my install. You also should make sure you use the proper 0-rings b/c if its not meant specifically for fuel injectors then the gasoline will slowly dissolve them (the o-rings) and they will all eventually leak.

Dont bring it to the dealer, just replace all the o-rings, and do a good job cleaning the electrical contacts on the connector.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, now I'm at a loss. Since my last post I checked the computer codes since the check engine light was on. I got a code of 45 (leaking injectors right?), and then reset the computer. Thought that was good news because it was consistent with you'all's suggestions; all the more reason to pull the dam thing apart again....so I did. None of the o-rings were ripped so I assumed that maybe I didn't seat them right. I greased upper and lower o-rings well with petrojelly carefully put them back in the rail. I could feel them sliding into place. Thought i made a good seal. Put it all back together and started it...No luck!The white smoke is back but now it is constant. I drove it around the neighborhood and it drives like a lawnmower with about the same horsepower. Feels like I'm on 3 cylinders now. Turned it off and on a few times and didn't get the check engine light. I really don't know what to do now.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:17 AM

Well, now I'm at a loss. Since my last post I checked the computer codes since the check engine light was on. I got a code of 45 (leaking injectors right?), and then reset the computer. Thought that was good news because it was consistent with you'all's suggestions; all the more reason to pull the dam thing apart again....so I did. None of the o-rings were ripped so I assumed that maybe I didn't seat them right. I greased upper and lower o-rings well with petrojelly carefully put them back in the rail. I could feel them sliding into place. Thought i made a good seal. Put it all back together and started it...No luck!The white smoke is back but now it is constant. I drove it around the neighborhood and it drives like a lawnmower with about the same horsepower. Feels like I'm on 3 cylinders now. Turned it off and on a few times and didn't get the check engine light. I really don't know what to do now.
Ideally you should have replaced the o-rings anyway, b/c all it takes is a tiny slice cut into the o-ring, and it may be very difficult to identify it with the naked eye.

Also your problem could be a faulty injector, may be its internally damaged and stuck in the open position. If you took it too a nissan dealership they could hook it up to the consult diagnostic tool and it would reveal the faulty injector immediatley. Diagnostics costs about $70.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by eric93SE

Ideally you should have replaced the o-rings anyway, b/c all it takes is a tiny slice cut into the o-ring, and it may be very difficult to identify it with the naked eye.

Also your problem could be a faulty injector, may be its internally damaged and stuck in the open position. If you took it too a nissan dealership they could hook it up to the consult diagnostic tool and it would reveal the faulty injector immediatley. Diagnostics costs about $70.
Eric,

Thanks alot for your help on this one. This one may be above my handyman-level skills. Loving this car though so I won't be giving up. I'll post the results of this fuel injector issue once I finally resolve it.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:20 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Eric,

Thanks alot for your help on this one. This one may be above my handyman-level skills. Loving this car though so I won't be giving up. I'll post the results of this fuel injector issue once I finally resolve it.
Did you ever resolve your injector problem? I'm about to go change out a couple of my injectors, and wanted to see if you had any further problems before I embark on MY adventure!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not quite there yet

Originally posted by nubiannupe

Did you ever resolve your injector problem? I'm about to go change out a couple of my injectors, and wanted to see if you had any further problems before I embark on MY adventure!
Whats up frat?

I'm not quite done yet. I took my car to a local mechanic and he concluded that the rebuilt injectors I bought were bad. I guess thats what I expected because I didn't mess up anything else but still hard to believe. I sent the injectors back to Sunrise fuel and carb and the guy there says he sent me a different set the same day. I should get them this week. I will still post here when I get them back in.

The moral of the story at this point is this: The job itself is really not difficult, just get reliable parts!

YITB
Dov C.
Kappa Pi chapter
#4 Spr. '93
Old 09-11-2002, 01:45 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Not quite there yet

Whats up frat?

I'm not quite done yet. I took my car to a local mechanic and he concluded that the rebuilt injectors I bought were bad. I guess thats what I expected because I didn't mess up anything else but still hard to believe. I sent the injectors back to Sunrise fuel and carb and the guy there says he sent me a different set the same day. I should get them this week. I will still post here when I get them back in.

The moral of the story at this point is this: The job itself is really not difficult, just get reliable parts!

YITB
Dov C.
Kappa Pi chapter
#4 Spr. '93
Holy Cow!! you "crossed over" the same year I did! Where were you a scrollie at? I was at U of Tampa, #4, Alpha Xi chapter

I've got the parts, now all I have to do is the work. Maybe you should do a write-up on it too. For all the future "injector changers" out there...
Old 09-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Not quite there yet

Holy Cow!! you "crossed over" the same year I did! Where were you a scrollie at? I was at U of Tampa, #4, Alpha Xi chapter

I've got the parts, now all I have to do is the work. Maybe you should do a write-up on it too. For all the future "injector changers" out there...
And you're a fourklub too?! Thats a trip. Kappa Pi chapter is at Washington State University, but we can talk more about that outside the forum.

As for your install, man just take your time and label everything if you haven't opened up the intake before. Do a search in the 3rd gen forum and you'll find plenty of details. You can email me through the forum and/or I can give you my number if you get stuck or have any specific questions. We should trade information anyway because I'm going back to school fall '03 at FSU.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:06 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Dang it all to heck!!!

And you're a fourklub too?! Thats a trip. Kappa Pi chapter is at Washington State University, but we can talk more about that outside the forum.

As for your install, man just take your time and label everything if you haven't opened up the intake before. Do a search in the 3rd gen forum and you'll find plenty of details. You can email me through the forum and/or I can give you my number if you get stuck or have any specific questions. We should trade information anyway because I'm going back to school fall '03 at FSU.
Well, I did my injectors this weekend and I gotta tell ya (and anyone else within earshot), I'm not only frustrated, but I'm totally at a loss now. I basically used some instruction that was on Brian's (Bryan91SE) site, along with info from Matt Blehm (sp) for the install. Took out the entire fuel rail, though, since the 'new' rails I got already had the injectors seated, and I didn't see a need to buy more o-rings and such. Put everything back together, and got the same white smoke thing that dozier4 got. Also, there's a slight fuel leak up front that I can't determine where it's at. So I tore everything apart again, and looked further to see if I forgot to tighten something, but I didn't see where it could be coming from.

Anyone got any ideas at this point? I'm just about at the point where I'm gonna take the car to the mechanic and admit defeat. But I'm no quitter...
Old 09-15-2002, 03:02 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

bump
Old 09-15-2002, 03:14 PM

I say just take it apart and try it again, you probably missed something!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Dang it all to heck!!!

Well, I did my injectors this weekend and I gotta tell ya (and anyone else within earshot), I'm not only frustrated, but I'm totally at a loss now. I basically used some instruction that was on Brian's (Bryan91SE) site, along with info from Matt Blehm (sp) for the install. Took out the entire fuel rail, though, since the 'new' rails I got already had the injectors seated, and I didn't see a need to buy more o-rings and such. Put everything back together, and got the same white smoke thing that dozier4 got. Also, there's a slight fuel leak up front that I can't determine where it's at. So I tore everything apart again, and looked further to see if I forgot to tighten something, but I didn't see where it could be coming from.

Anyone got any ideas at this point? I'm just about at the point where I'm gonna take the car to the mechanic and admit defeat. But I'm no quitter...
Nupe,

did you use a chilton or hayes manual in addition to Bryan's site..etc? I ask because the manuals have the torque specs for putting the intake back together...

I finally had success with my install. Last week Sunrise fuel 'n' carb sent me a different set of rebuilt injectors same day air so I put them in the same way I had done 2X with the other set of injectors and my engine is "purring" better than it has since I've owned it!! So I guess the problem was the injectors themselves....Anyway, this last time I paid a lot of attention to the different seals which keep the injectors from leaking. Of course you have the upper and lower o-rings, but it sounds like you purchased a whole new fuel rail with injectors in it?? So the only thing I can think of that I did different was pay attention to the o-rings which sit around the openings into which you insert the inj tips when installing the fuel rail. I took them out, cleaned them, cleaned the area they seat in and then greased them with petro jelly. Pay particular attention that you get a good seal when putting the rail in....My experiences is as far as my knowledge goes so I don't have much more to say. When I had problems guys pretty much just said to try again. If I didn't keep trying I wouldn't have come to the conclusions which ultimately brought me to the solution. I would try once more before you pay the highway robbery rate with the dealership. But keep searching the forum too.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:14 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I used the Chilton's manuals specific to Maximas, and the general one for all imports. I also referenced the FSM from the local Nissan dealership here. All of these had the torque specs, which I followed. Even bought a new torque wrench just for that purpose.

One thing I DIDN'T do [which you mentioned, and I didn't even think to check ] was to clean/inspect the o-rings which sit around the openings into which I inserted the injector tips. I pulled everything apart last night, so today I'll go ahead and clean and check those. One thing I did notice, however, was that even with all the smoke and the leak, ALL the injectors are working, as the car has renewed power when I fired it up.

Another thing I did, which'll probably help out anyone else that attempts this, was to take plenty of pics and do a write-up on this. I wouldn't wish all this drama on my worse enemy!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

White smoke

I used the Chilton's manuals specific to Maximas, and the general one for all imports. I also referenced the FSM from the local Nissan dealership here. All of these had the torque specs, which I followed. Even bought a new torque wrench just for that purpose.

One thing I DIDN'T do [which you mentioned, and I didn't even think to check ] was to clean/inspect the o-rings which sit around the openings into which I inserted the injector tips. I pulled everything apart last night, so today I'll go ahead and clean and check those. One thing I did notice, however, was that even with all the smoke and the leak, ALL the injectors are working, as the car has renewed power when I fired it up.

Another thing I did, which'll probably help out anyone else that attempts this, was to take plenty of pics and do a write-up on this. I wouldn't wish all this drama on my worse enemy!
Well, if the injs were working, how much smoke did you have? Was it coming out of the exhaust? Because when my install was finally successful I still had smoke, only this time if wasn't coming out of the exhaust. It was coming from the engine. The car was driving good though, so I continued with the test drive and then let my car idle in the driveway for about 10 mins to see if the smoke was just some spilled oil or antifreeze or fuel that had spilled on the engine during my numerous installs. If so, it would burn off.....and it did. haven't seen any since. So make sure you follow through with a test drive and let your engine computer get used to the new setup this time......maybe this very untechnical information will help...Sounds like you are very close if you got improved performance.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:00 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I think you're right - I'm quite close. But I won't mess with it 'til this evening or tomorrow. Then, we'll see if the fruits of my labors pay off. Wish me luck!!