3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine stalls at idle, sputters between 1500 and 3500 rpm... plse help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine stalls at idle, sputters between 1500 and 3500 rpm... plse help

Hi everyone. I am new to the board and new to maxima ownership. My max is a 89 gle w/219k miles on it. Everything works great. I recently took on a trip and since the car wont idle w/o dying, and when i give it gas, it sputters terribly until about 3500 rpm, then it runs like normal. There is also backfiring through the air intake when i give it gas. I cant get the car anywhere and is parked at a friends house. I need help to know what the problem is and how much this will take to fix. Any and help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2002, 06:07 AM

Re: engine stalls at idle, sputters between 1500 and 3500 rpm... plse help

Originally posted by 89gle-grey
Hi everyone. I am new to the board and new to maxima ownership. My max is a 89 gle w/219k miles on it. Everything works great. I recently took on a trip and since the car wont idle w/o dying, and when i give it gas, it sputters terribly until about 3500 rpm, then it runs like normal. There is also backfiring through the air intake when i give it gas. I cant get the car anywhere and is parked at a friends house. I need help to know what the problem is and how much this will take to fix. Any and help is much appreciated. Thanks!
um i think you have a gxe.. gle's made its first sight on the 4th gen..

well its sounds like you need a full tune-up..

there could be alot of things wrong with it..
first it could be your fuel filter, it could be clogged.
oil change filters.
timing belt, water pump, gaskets.. get it all changed..
it could also be your fuel pump or fuel injectors.
plus with high miles , got to take it to the doctors. that is just a start. then you have to look at your y-pipe- catback if that is clogged or blockage. like i said many possiblities.
Best thing to do is get it checked out by nissan.
does the maxima stall after start up, during use , after alot of drivig??

intake back fire.. now that i have never heard..
Old 08-12-2002, 09:30 PM

Time to upgrade to a 4th gen!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:07 AM

Maybe even you gas. I was running Wawa gas and i had to cut that crap out because my car would idle rough and sometimes cut off and idle low too. Since i stopped using Wawa ive had no problems.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:27 AM

Without hearing/seeing the car, my initial diagnosis is you need a new IACV. That stands for Idle Air Control Valve. This works with the Air Cut Control valve to regulate air at idle and up to about 3,000 RPM under partial throttle. While it's not really common for these to fail, I have seen a few of them go bad. The IACV is located on the right, front side of the big aluminum intake manifold thing. It is shaped like a cube. For a test you could unplug the IACV and check the wiring for corrosion as well. You could also have some kind of huge vacuum leak, so check that out as well.

-=Kaleb=-
Old 08-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that sounds exactly like what's going on with the datsun 280z me and a friend are working on. i'll have to check out that IACV (if this old engine has it) it back fire through the intake and out the exhaust, i even get 1 foot flames sometimes i took out the very smelly crap gas and put some fresh 93 octane in there but no go, yet.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all the help. I'll take a look at the iacv.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the help. I'll take a look at the iacv.
The IACV can be opened up and cleaned out (buy a new gasket for it). Also the solenoid thats attached to the IACV can be checked if it is still functioning. Disconnect the connector and use an ohm meter to see if it still has resistance to it, I dont have the exact value in front of me but it should be from 25-80 ohms.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....iacv+and+clean

Another thing that can be checked is the Mass air flow sensor. The terminals are known to go lame. They can also be cleaned if there is any oxidation present. But to fix the lame terminals you can use a fine nail and use it to squish down the female terminals so that they can grab the male terminals more vigorously.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by eric93SE

squish down the female terminals so that they can grab the male terminals more vigorously.

as some one would say... R U Autosexual
Old 08-14-2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

as some one would say... R U Autosexual
u like it when i talk dirty....
Old 08-14-2002, 06:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well it turns out the datsun was getting too much air in the mas so we have to replace the bad piping that goes to it.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

#1 DISCONNECT Mas airflow Sensor to the left of the air cleaner box
on air pipe
#2 start engine. if engine runs and idleS HIGH replace sensor
or trie what these others said about the terminals.
#3 engine still stalls. plug back in maf sensor
#4 remove idle air control valve
#5 bench test give power to positive terminal and ground negative terminal. plunger should move. if not replace valve.

this happened to me last week i replaced maf sensor
Old 08-15-2002, 02:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

#1 DISCONNECT Mas airflow Sensor to the left of the air cleaner box
on air pipe
#2 start engine. if engine runs and idleS HIGH replace sensor
or trie what these others said about the terminals.
#3 engine still stalls. plug back in maf sensor
#4 remove idle air control valve
#5 bench test give power to positive terminal and ground negative terminal. plunger should move. if not replace valve.
I already did 1-3, i will try to test the iacv before i buy a new one. thanks for the help!
Old 08-15-2002, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

by the way, i changed my username as someone mentioned that the gle's didnt start until 95, sorry about that. but i am the one who started this thread just in case anyone was wondering
Old 08-15-2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by maxben89
by the way, i changed my username as someone mentioned that the gle's didnt start until 95, sorry about that. but i am the one who started this thread just in case anyone was wondering
lol sorry about that.. just funny to see a gle on a 3rd gen, neither the less on a 89.. but hey, you could have stayed with the old name and it would have been fun to see the org memebers reactions..

yes i own the only known 3rd gen gle.. j/k..
Old 08-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

if iacv is okay, try unplugging the o2 sensor it could also be
the tps which is located on the right side of the trottle body