3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine cut out

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 07:12 AM
shelbyer

91'se,auto,115,000 miles;lately while your driving the car,on the highway or the boulavards,it's like your cruising along,your foot is on the gas pedal but your all of a sudden slowing down.You press more on the gas pedal and nothing,still slowing.There's no hesitation from the motor and no vibration's.It's not fouling or running on 5 cylinders,there's just nothing.Finally you've about pushed the gas pedal to the floor and then the car comes alive.{downshifts and takes off}.I live in Montreal,Quebec,Canada where it's been very cold the last couple of weeks,so I tried some gas line antifreeze with a fresh tank of gas,but no change.Come to think about it we had no problem last winter.The tune up was done a year ago,{wires,plugs,gas filter,K&N air filter}.Also one time when it happened to me I put the car in neutral and it didn't want to rev much over 3,000 rpm.Any ideas,Thanks.

Old 01-06-2001, 10:48 AM
csorna

Engine cut out

The following advisory from Nissan deals with this problem:
Maxima 1992 Symptom Diagnosis Engine
Reference No FC9802018

Subjct Information:

1989-94 Maxima Engine Cuts Out Intermittently

Document Abstract:
Info source: Norm Ammerman, Nissan Motor Corp, TECH LINE

Condition : Once warmed up, the engine cuts out, the tachometer drops then comes to life again. Etc.

Solution : ...Check for codes with the checker box. If there are no codes, install a known good ECCS main relay....

In Nashville we have very good folks at Action Nissan,
(Jose Cavallo, manager and Greg Sides, in charge of repairs.) After a lot of research and consultation with other Nissan dealers, it was Action Nissan that went thru their documents to find the above advisory. It seems to have fixed the problem, and cost 60 dollars.

I think the relay controls power to the distributor, and when it fails, there is no spark to light the fuel. Unfortunately, the relay doesnt just die, but sometimes goes into this intermittent on/off mode.

Regards,