3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

something weird to check on

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 11:28 PM

something weird to check on

My car has been having electrical problems and I'm trying to find out where it is. It's not in the charging system, so it's probably a melted wire or dead relay. Everything seems to me to be working fine, though, so I can't pinpoint it...except...

The switch for conditioned/unconditioned air (farthest left switch on the heating/cooling buttons panel) has pictures of two dudes, one with blue air blowing on him and one without blue air. When you turn on your dashboard lights, do both of the dudes light up on your dash, or only the bottom one? Please check yours and get back to me if they are both lit up! Thanks! I think the wiring problem might be right htere if they are both supposed to light up? It seems kinda stupid that only one lights up if that's really the way it's supposed to be. It's all I can think of...
Old 08-23-2002, 11:49 PM

the lever that goes up and down is what your talking about right?

well both Icons (blue lines and one with no lines) are suppost to light up. if one isnt lite up.. then the bulb is burnt out.

I had both of the icons not light up and i got some new bulbs from the dealer and replaced them
Old 08-24-2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by mykizism
the lever that goes up and down is what your talking about right?

well both Icons (blue lines and one with no lines) are suppost to light up. if one isnt lite up.. then the bulb is burnt out.

I had both of the icons not light up and i got some new bulbs from the dealer and replaced them
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking aobut, thanks. One of mine is burnt out. Are they hard to replace? I searched, found tons of stuff on the gauge cluster lights replacement, but not those lights in the cluster of stuff for the A/C heater. I installed a aftermarket receiver, I know how to take off that outer plastic piece, but how do I get inside that control unit to replace the bulb? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 1993MaxSE

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking aobut, thanks. One of mine is burnt out. Are they hard to replace? I searched, found tons of stuff on the gauge cluster lights replacement, but not those lights in the cluster of stuff for the A/C heater. I installed a aftermarket receiver, I know how to take off that outer plastic piece, but how do I get inside that control unit to replace the bulb? Thanks.
those 2 bulbs are easy to replace
remove the center dash radio trim (instructions on my site if you need it)
then if you look just to the left of that lever, you can see two small rubber rectangles going into the side of the unit, pull each one out and it has a bulb on it
they are 12v mini lamps at Radio Shack part 272 1092 (search for that number for more info on here)
you'll need to bend the leads coming from the bulb around the little rubber thing, but just look at how it is before you take the old one out
Old 08-24-2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

then if you look just to the left of that lever, you can see two small rubber rectangles going into the side of the unit, pull each one out and it has a bulb on it
they are 12v mini lamps at Radio Shack part 272 1092 (search for that number for more info on here)
you'll need to bend the leads coming from the bulb around the little rubber thing, but just look at how it is before you take the old one out
Awesome, I'm gonna go to Radio Shack right now! Thanks.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

I just replaced that bulb, and it works great. Nice and easy, only $1.49 at Radio Shack and 5 minutes!

However, I noticed that none of the buttons light up on the left side of the steereing wheel, i.e. the cruise control and fog light buttons and I think one more over there. Are these supopsed to light up? Do they all have individual bulbs too or do you think one just went out over there behind them all? Thanks.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:53 PM

I noticed that none of the buttons light up on the left side of the steereing wheel, i.e. the cruise control and fog light buttons and I think one more over there. Are these supopsed to light up? Do they all have individual bulbs too or do you think one just went out over there behind them all? Thanks.
Can someone please check out the interior lights on their Max SE for me? the foglights, cruise control, and mirror heater buttons. I can't tell if these lights are supposed to light up or not! It seems like they should but they don't. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:10 AM

Can someone please check out the interior lights on their Max SE for me? the foglights, cruise control, and mirror heater buttons. I can't tell if these lights are supposed to light up or not! It seems like they should but they don't. Thanks.

they are suppost to light up..
the cruise control button is hard to replace the bulbs you have to take the switch apart.. and if your not careful you can break it and it wont work like its suppost to..

the defrost is easy to replace the bulbs they are on top

the dimmer switch is the same as the cruise control so becareful

fog lamp switch dont have one i have a GXE

and thats all i can think of right now
Old 08-26-2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by mykizism

they are suppost to light up..
the cruise control button is hard to replace the bulbs you have to take the switch apart.. and if your not careful you can break it and it wont work like its suppost to..

the defrost is easy to replace the bulbs they are on top

the dimmer switch is the same as the cruise control so becareful

fog lamp switch dont have one i have a GXE

and thats all i can think of right now
Do you think it's strange that all 3 went out at the same time? I was looking at wiring diagrams in my Haynes manual but can't understand them well...is there a fuse/relay that might have gone out to make just those lights on that side go out? That would be my first guess...anyone better than me with wiring diagrams and stuff want to help me find which one?