3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

knocking sound when engine off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 12:18 AM

knocking sound when engine off

I seem to get this knocking sound when i turn off the engine after a drive. I am worried what it is but i'm not sure what it is since i do not know much about cars.

Also I seem to have a problem when I start the car when its just cold and go for a drive, it seems to not change gears when it gets to about 60km/h (it goes into neutral or something). It goes all fine when it warms up though.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: knocking sound when engine off

Originally posted by chavez
I seem to get this knocking sound when i turn off the engine after a drive. I am worried what it is but i'm not sure what it is since i do not know much about cars.

Also I seem to have a problem when I start the car when its just cold and go for a drive, it seems to not change gears when it gets to about 60km/h (it goes into neutral or something). It goes all fine when it warms up though.
If by "knocking" you mean aconstant repetitive loud "tick" that slowly goes away 2-10 minutes after turning off a very warm engine, that is pretty normal. It's just all the super-molten-hot parts rapidly cooling back down, happens to all enginges that run really hot (and our enginges sure do!)

If it's just one big loud "BOOM" knock though, that's probably bad, but I dunno what it could be, never heard of a problem like that.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:00 PM

thanks man I was scare that it was something bad. Yeah it was just this ticking sound that goes for 2 to 10 mins.

Now for that problem about the slipping automatic transmission.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by chavez
thanks man I was scare that it was something bad. Yeah it was just this ticking sound that goes for 2 to 10 mins.

Now for that problem about the slipping automatic transmission.
Glad to ease your mind about the engine, it's probably in great shape. I've never owned an automatic car, and I've heard lots of problems with the Max's auto tranny, so I can't help ya there, but my guess would be that you're gonna have to save up for a rebuild or repair
Old 08-27-2002, 04:57 PM
Large Member

Man, for the price of a rebuild you could PAY for someone to do the 5spd conversion and then have $$$ left over for upgrades!
Old 08-27-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Shadow1198
Man, for the price of a rebuild you could PAY for someone to do the 5spd conversion and then have $$$ left over for upgrades!
That's assuming you can find a decent shape 5-spd tranny for cheaper than a decent shape auto tranny. And there are so many little things associated with the different trannys, i.e. the power/comfort switch, and other electronics as well that are different between the two which I would assume need to be dealt with for a proper switch. Have you done it? It would definitely be cool...5-speeds are MUCH better!
Old 08-27-2002, 07:32 PM

I agree the 5spd is better but unfortunately sometimes my mum has to drive the car. but i am planning to convert it late next year or something.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Large Member

Originally posted by 1993MaxSE

That's assuming you can find a decent shape 5-spd tranny for cheaper than a decent shape auto tranny. And there are so many little things associated with the different trannys, i.e. the power/comfort switch, and other electronics as well that are different between the two which I would assume need to be dealt with for a proper switch. Have you done it? It would definitely be cool...5-speeds are MUCH better!
Funny you should ask! Actually, I did find an insane deal on a fairly good tranny + every single part needed to do the conversion (rear totaled '89se but front end is fine). I should be doing the swap in the next 2-3 weeks if I can work it out with my schedule. I will make a post on here once I get it done. Man, that's going to be such a huge performance increase, since I will be installing the full exhaust (wsp y/i/cat/b) and intake at the same time!

In response to the post, that sound is most likely just the metal contracting. It's normal for most cars and seems particularly common for Nissans.