3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Please help: Horn / Relay Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 10:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Please help: Horn / Relay Problem

I know this has been discussed before but I have done a lot of searches and that's what has gotten me this far.

DESCRIPTION:
At first my horn would work intermittently but now it has stopped completely. The last time I remember it working was when the alarm sounded.

ANALYSIS:
-The first thing I did was check my in-vehicle 10A fuse which does not look broken.
-Next I checked the horns by connecting them to + battery. They both work.
-Next I tried pulling out the relay and connecting pins 1 & 3 (see below), this caused the horns to sound. This tells me that the wire between the relay and the horns is ok (pin 3) as well as the connection between the battery and the relay (pin 1) as well as the in-vehicle fuse from above.
-I tested the voltage between the wire from the relay to horn switch in the steering wheel and the steering wheel ground and this seem to vary around 8V. This seems weird to me unless the Relay is supposed to dissipate some of the 12V it is receiving from the battery.

I think the only thing I haven't tested is the relay itself which I don't know how to test?? The horn relay is different from all the other relays in the under-hood relay box as it only has 3 pins in the following configuration (and its green :

THIS IS FROM DIAGRAM ON TOP OF THE RELAY:
(12V) 1 *------[=====]----* 2
|
(HORN) 3 *________ \_______|

FROM CHILTON'S:

Can someone please help me solve this problem? Is there something else I should test? How can I test the relay?

Thank you so much. Its really scary driving without a horn!

-Ezra
Old 09-06-2002, 01:18 PM

This sounds simple, and you've probably checked but, is the middle of the wheel actually hitting the point that it needs to when you push it down so that the horn beeps?? If not i'm stumped.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:21 PM

If it isn't working and you have to get your car inspected just hide behind it when they test the horn and yell beeep! when the push it down, that may work too