3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

UPDATE good and bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 05:58 PM

UPDATE good and bad

well got the knock sensor in today wooo hoo!!!!! not that bad of a job as long as ya have all the tools and some mechanical skills needed to do it that is .. but for all who want to see where the knock sensor actually goes on the block
CLICK HERE look for KNOCK SENSOR PIC

http://groups.msn.com/mitsubishiandn...sc.msnw?Page=2

well now for the rest as said got it in and all back together and now have a all new set of problems "sort of" when i first started it car wouldnt run/idle hhmmm checked it over ahhh forgot to bolt the ground for the coil packs problem gone.. car now idles "OK" meaning on intial start up the tach will shoot up to like 2000 the come down after a bit. the idle still doesnt stay still it will fluctuate up and down.. no a big problem.. but heres what is doesnt matter if the car is cold or hot.. when i step on the gas at around 1500-2000 the car will stutter badly if i floor it it will just stay right at 2000.. sounds just like a stutter box on race cars sometimes it will die after this sometimes it wont..
i checked the tps and found one of the pins were almost out of the connector fixed that car starts up now..
from there i moved to the mas sensor," i think this is where my problem is" i wiggle the plug it dies,i tap on the mas itself it dies do this a couple times same result,so now i press the pins down on the plug a bit do the same as above and it doesnt do it
but the stuttering thing is still there ... so now i dont know what else do to what do you all think very frustating...........
the only thing i can think of "and it out there" but whe ni was driving around with out the KS and the ecu went into safe mode and retarded the engine.maybe now that it see's the sensor and all is back to normal maybe now the real problem is showing itslef"

well i think thats all sorry about the length
thanks for any input..........
Old 09-08-2002, 06:17 PM

Wow I just looked at the image, look how #4 cylinder is dark inside, maybe a bad injector o-ring or a bad coil????????????????????.

Well you could have a vacuum leak, could either be a hose or the intake plenum itself may not be seated correctly. I remmember when I put mine back together that there is a ledge on which the plenum sits in the back, if it does not seat correctly it may leave a gap in the back. Its worth checking.

Also since a lot of the vaccum lines were removed you should check that they are fitting very tightly. When I did mine I replaced ALL the vacuum hoses, I saw the KS job a good opportunity.

One funny thing that I did when putting everything back together, was when putting the throttle cable back on, I put one of the bolts in the wrong position, so the throttle cable was being pulled, and it caused the engine to miss and race. It only took a couple minutes to find it.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:26 PM

Wow, you really have to get that beast running right so that you can take it to the track- can we say 13 second NA?
Old 09-09-2002, 03:59 AM

Did you reset the ECU afterwords? AFTER you got everything else working alright?
Old 09-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Large Member

VE30DEPOWER, we talked before awhile ago. Did you ever upgrade your fuel system? It sounds like one of the problems could be not enough fuel being supplied.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whats the deal with the valve cover? its purple.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by MrGone
whats the deal with the valve cover? its purple.
HEHE yeah i let my girl pick out something so she wouldnt feel left out so we went with powder coating them purple because that is her fav color..... im sure most of your girlfriends love purple too ..

Shadow1198: dont think its fuel cause before i put the knock sensor in i could rev it to 4000 with no problem

Taegost: yeah the battery was out of the car for awhile car was just sitting in the garage..
Old 09-09-2002, 07:36 PM
Large Member

VE30DEPOWER, BTW, I love the sig pic! Some people don't like those Skyline 2000gtr coupes but I love them!

What about air flow? Since you mentioned a problem with the MAF, maybe you aren't getting the right air supply for this monster VE engine! Sorry to be captain obvious but, it sounds like it has to be fuel/air or ignition related. Have you done any upgrades to your ignition? I'm no VE expert but, could the coils or some ignition components not be able to handle the engine? I'm not completely sure what they are capable of handling. It just sounds like you aren't getting a hot/powerful enough "spark" or you aren't getting enough air.

Why don't you get some better spark plugs??? j/k (I do know a little about the VE!) Please keep us updated. I'm sure there are tons of people that want to know how your Max turns out. No one I know of has gone this far with the VE engine, or at least I don't know of anyone.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Large Member

Um, just a quick thought. Did you ever get a custom JWT ecu? Could it be possible that the ecu and all its sensors are detecting various "things" about your engine and not being able to properly control them (due to all the mods)?