3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Water in injection system? HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 12:59 PM

Water in injection system? HELP?

I have a buddy that just got water flooded in the injection system from his ICEMAN cold air intake system and now the motor does not run. Is there an easy fix so we can get his car started back up?

Some people told me that the motor is gone. Is this true?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 01:04 PM

Re: Water in injection system? HELP?

Basically, if you're able to get it running again it'll die shortly after anyway. sometimes when people drive in the rain it could be that the distributor got wet and won't do anything until it's dry..but if your sure it sucked in water you can take off the spark plugs and siphon the water out the cylinders, then let it dry and see how much that helps.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:55 PM

ummm if the car was running the motor is probably shot. most likly he did some severe internal damage. (and why it won't restart)
Old 09-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what kind of internal damage can happen if water got into the engine? will the same happen if water was in the gas? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just think of it this way. Can water compress like air? just my $.02
Old 09-09-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
what kind of internal damage can happen if water got into the engine? will the same happen if water was in the gas? Thanks.
Actual water in the engine is COMEPLETELY different from water in the gas tank. Water in the gas is just a tiny bit that gets sprayed with a whole lotta gas, so it burns away (might give a rough idle, but that's it). Water that's sucked into the engine is bad. Water isn't thick like oil and it can seep into anywhere, it doesnt lubricate like oil either and when the friction starts, ouch.

I found a great site that deals with hope to cope with possible water damage:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...in/flood.shtml
Old 09-09-2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
haha ur silly..

water gets sucked into motor via intake = hydrolock

water cannot be compressed like air so u basically blow your motor.. like if you boost 400 psi of something
Old 09-09-2002, 09:53 PM
Tom

If the engine was running pretty fast when it happened, then chances are, the engine hydrolocked and it's gone.

However, it the engine was just running slowly and it hydrolocked, you might still have a chance. This happened on my wife's Camry about 6 years ago. I was driving through a deep puddle as deep as the bumper.

Engine stopped. I wouldn't crank at all.

I was lucky, though. The car was towed, all the spark plugs removed, engine cranked over, changed the oil couple of times, installed fresh set of plugs, air filter and we still have that Camry 51K miles later.

If the engine is turning pretty fast when it hydrolocks, then connecting rods can bend and all kinds of bad stuff can happen.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Tom
If the engine was running pretty fast when it happened, then chances are, the engine hydrolocked and it's gone.

However, it the engine was just running slowly and it hydrolocked, you might still have a chance. This happened on my wife's Camry about 6 years ago. I was driving through a deep puddle as deep as the bumper.

Engine stopped. I wouldn't crank at all.

I was lucky, though. The car was towed, all the spark plugs removed, engine cranked over, changed the oil couple of times, installed fresh set of plugs, air filter and we still have that Camry 51K miles later.

If the engine is turning pretty fast when it hydrolocks, then connecting rods can bend and all kinds of bad stuff can happen.
Thanks all. Appriciate it