3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Automatic transmission shifting VERY hard after installing intake!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:07 PM

Automatic transmission shifting VERY hard after installing intake!

I took out the old intake(big black boy, 2 screws UNDERNEATH box, 4 connecting it to intake hose), and tried putting in the new intake. All three went in, but the 3rd was made a little off. I didn't realize this at first, so took them all out, and started with the one that was off this time. What ended up happening, is that only 3 were able to fit in, and the top of one of those three broke off, but it is pretty snug. So I let it rest ontop of where the old box was, took it for a quick spin with friends(checking for better acceleration and what not), took them home and on leaving(going slowly), noticed I was having MAJOR shifting issues. Going from one gear to the next, the whole car shudders. And this is a brand new rebuilt transmission!!! It has maybe 80 miles on it. what could have happened??
Old 09-09-2002, 11:16 PM
STFU n00b!

There's a small (about 2.5" long and 1/2" wide) grey box mounted underneath the intake. it's plugged into a harness mounted next to the left side strut tower. that's your dropping resistor, used to make the shifts smoother.

Make sure that's plugged in and that you didn't cut/mash any wires. I'd bet tomorrow's lunch that's your problem.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
There's a small (about 2.5" long and 1/2" wide) grey box mounted underneath the intake. it's plugged into a harness mounted next to the left side strut tower. that's your dropping resistor, used to make the shifts smoother.

Make sure that's plugged in and that you didn't cut/mash any wires. I'd bet tomorrow's lunch that's your problem.
The one that is mounted on there? Yes, thanks.... But now I don't know what to do !!
When I was trying to take out the intake, the wires underneath that came unplugged, just two sharpish thing on the end, and I tried to plug them back in there how they were, but I'm not sure if they're in there all the way/connecting, or if they're in the right side. How would I go about checking it? And is it hurting the transmission at all giving that kind of shift?
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:44 PM

Ok, I checked the wires that were unplugged.. not sure if it's the relay though(cylinder thing connected to the drivers side strut), tried plugging them in more. It "seems" like it's not shifting nearly as hard, but it's still shifting hard.
WEIRD thing is, when I turn on the car, the 'P' for power on the a/t (power or comfort), it lights up, and blinks a bouple times, and shuts off....
Old 09-10-2002, 12:00 AM

Yeah, so you are right on the problem. But do you have a pic or good description of what the dropping resistor looks like? ANother place says it is a "small silver metal bar"... I have 2 wires comming down from the cylinder thing, but they look grounded...
Old 09-10-2002, 07:08 AM

so what does it loook like?
Old 09-10-2002, 07:22 AM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its just a rectangular ceramic block with a lead coming out one end, plug it back in or check the wiring isn't cut. Its the only thing directly under the lower airbox isn't it?

The canister on the strut tower isn't the problem.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by doomtoo
Ok, I checked the wires that were unplugged.. not sure if it's the relay though(cylinder thing connected to the drivers side strut), tried plugging them in more. It "seems" like it's not shifting nearly as hard, but it's still shifting hard.
WEIRD thing is, when I turn on the car, the 'P' for power on the a/t (power or comfort), it lights up, and blinks a bouple times, and shuts off....
the auto tranny will flash the P light at you a certain number of times for it's diagnostics. a different number of flashes means a different thing (like the ECU diagnostics)
search for more info about that
Old 09-10-2002, 01:57 PM

I finally just took it down to a mechanic
The power steering MAJORLY started leaking a couple days ago(before I did anything), and altogether it's costing $195, replace the hoses, and fix the wiring thing I did($30 -still didn't work after I checked to make sure it was in), and I found out the K&N filter, is sucking up air between the plastic peice and the adapter.
Peice of crap adapter - the screw holes are slightly off, so not all the screws fit on it.
And the air leaking from between it...
Should I just put the default air filter back on? Was I supposed to use the original screws that came with the air filter? How could it be leaking(sucking up air not from just the filter) so much air?