3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need HELP!! Gas Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Maxima91

Need HELP!! Gas Leak!

Hi, a while ago, my car has begun to leak out some gas. i would go to a gas station, fill her up, and when it was full, it would only leak just a lil bit then stop, i dont know why but it just did. so i fig, no prob whatever. now, i just got gas last night, and its leaking alot more than it does. i went to school, i get out and come to see a giant puddle of gas... and its probably leaking now.. im just curious if anyone has had this prob.. i am not mechanicaly smart, i have no clue about cars.. it is a 1990 GXE, its 12 years old so i prob fig thats what happens to older cars, im prob wrong.. anyway, if anyone has some info, then it would be great thanks...car has 95500 miles if that helps...

-Ryan

Old 09-13-2002, 02:55 PM

have it checked out at a local shop. they should be willing to put it up on the lift and you and the mechanic can take a look. could just be a hose or something else. where's the leak located?
Old 09-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Maxima91

Originally posted by medic
have it checked out at a local shop. they should be willing to put it up on the lift and you and the mechanic can take a look. could just be a hose or something else. where's the leak located?
ummm , im assuming the gas can/holder of the gas? lol i dont know man.. but i guess i can get it checked out.. it may not be a big prob but it smells like gas everywhere i go

Old 09-13-2002, 04:14 PM

there are a few recall out on the fuel filler for the 93 max and maybe other years too

NHTSA95V244000
NHTSA95V24400

Check with your dealer if they've been done on your car. If they don't know, you can contact Nissan corporate with your VIN and they can tell you - they need to track as the recalls are performed.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:25 PM

smells like gas eveywhere huh? dude, u might wanna get that checked out first thing in the morning if u havent already. Can't imagine you still drive the car around WITH the knowledge that it is actually dripping gas...you're a moving, speeding bomb on wheels.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:12 AM

Re: Need HELP!! Gas Leak!

Originally posted by Maxima91
Hi, a while ago, my car has begun to leak out some gas. i would go to a gas station, fill her up, and when it was full, it would only leak just a lil bit then stop, i dont know why but it just did. so i fig, no prob whatever. now, i just got gas last night, and its leaking alot more than it does. i went to school, i get out and come to see a giant puddle of gas... and its probably leaking now.. im just curious if anyone has had this prob.. i am not mechanicaly smart, i have no clue about cars.. it is a 1990 GXE, its 12 years old so i prob fig thats what happens to older cars, im prob wrong.. anyway, if anyone has some info, then it would be great thanks...car has 95500 miles if that helps...

-Ryan
Had the same problem a little while ago...Filled my car up with gas, and it started to leak. Went to my mechanic, found out its a fuel hose, got it replaced for $40. So go to your mechanic and tell him to check all the hoses back there.

Dmitriy
Old 09-14-2002, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Need HELP!! Gas Leak!

Originally posted by Shpuntik

Had the same problem a little while ago...Filled my car up with gas, and it started to leak. Went to my mechanic, found out its a fuel hose, got it replaced for $40. So go to your mechanic and tell him to check all the hoses back there.

Dmitriy
THis is not a hard problem to fix or find yourself. 1.Get under the car and find the leak 2. If there is a leak do not drive the car, as lophix said, you are a bomb 3. Fix the leak, could just be something loose, or you could have a hole in your tank. It's not a common problem either. Your car isn't that that old, and doesn't have that many miles on it, so this isn't very commmon. But get it fixed as soon as possible. Goodluck.