3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

sound increase....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 09:59 AM

sound increase....

ok im planning on replacing the stock air box with a K&N cone, im not replacing the intake piping, but im thinking on getting the greddy exhaust like 2 yrs later becuase i dont have enough money for it yet. does anyone know how much sound increase there is if you just add the cone filter and keep the stock exhaust on??
Old 09-14-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: sound increase....

Originally posted by maxima2k2
ok im planning on replacing the stock air box with a K&N cone, im not replacing the intake piping, but im thinking on getting the greddy exhaust like 2 yrs later becuase i dont have enough money for it yet. does anyone know how much sound increase there is if you just add the cone filter and keep the stock exhaust on??
You will hear the cone air filter when you rev the car above 3500 rpm's, or when driving consistently between 3500 and above. However at low speeds usually under about 70 there won't be much of a change in noise from the filter. However if you add the upper mid pipe (which is cheap, or you could make one yourself) you will get more hp and a better sound at both low speeds and high. Goodluck.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:22 AM

what is an upper mid pipe??

what is an upper mid pipe and where do you put in the engine bay and/or under the car? cant you just buy one from an aftermarket dealer
Old 09-14-2002, 10:23 AM

Re: what is an upper mid pipe??

what is an upper mid pipe and where do you put in the engine bay and/or under the car? cant you just buy one from an aftermarket dealer
opps this was suppose to be a new thread....
Old 09-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Getting back to his roots

Re: Re: what is an upper mid pipe??

opps this was suppose to be a new thread....
Don't make it a new thread.....it just chokes the forum with unneeded threads.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: what is an upper mid pipe??

Originally posted by Mizeree_X

Don't make it a new thread.....it just chokes the forum with unneeded threads.
The upper mid pipe goes along with the cone air filter assembley, it is another piece that you can either buy for cheap or make, and it will produce more hp and more noise when driving at all speeds.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: what is an upper mid pipe??

Originally posted by Brendan

The upper mid pipe goes along with the cone air filter assembley, it is another piece that you can either buy for cheap or make, and it will produce more hp and more noise when driving at all speeds.
what do you use to make the mid pipe?
Are there any instructions on how to make one?
Old 09-17-2002, 08:19 PM

hmm....

Originally posted by Brendan

more sound, maybe. the sound actually decreased when i added the upper tube (to a pop charger setup). more hp, i dunno. you MIGHT get .5hp for smoothing out the air path. replacing the restrictive stock filter is where the hp comes from. tube lengths will allocate where the hp gain is on the rpm band.

to be more detailed - the upper tube is the replacement tube for that ridged tube with the resonator under it between the throttle and the mafs.

sound is rpm/air volume intake dependant, not velocity dependant.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: hmm....

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy

more sound, maybe. the sound actually decreased when i added the upper tube (to a pop charger setup). more hp, i dunno. you MIGHT get .5hp for smoothing out the air path. replacing the restrictive stock filter is where the hp comes from. tube lengths will allocate where the hp gain is on the rpm band.

to be more detailed - the upper tube is the replacement tube for that ridged tube with the resonator under it between the throttle and the mafs.

sound is rpm/air volume intake dependant, not velocity dependant.
I think the reason it might be louder for some people is that it removes the 2nd intake resonator when you replace that ridged tube too...I think...doesn't it? I just have a POP charger and I'm totally happy with it, but I'm thinking about removing that last resonator and plugging it up to see what difference it makes.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:30 PM

Re: Re: hmm....

Originally posted by 1993MaxSE

I think the reason it might be louder for some people is that it removes the 2nd intake resonator when you replace that ridged tube too...I think...doesn't it? I just have a POP charger and I'm totally happy with it, but I'm thinking about removing that last resonator and plugging it up to see what difference it makes.

youre gonna have some fun if ur tryin to get rid of the resonator between the filter and the throttle body. that thing is massive. youd be much better off just gettin the midpipe.
one of my friends used dryer vent hose, sure its ghetto. but its also cheap and effective
id say just find a midpipe
Old 09-18-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: hmm....

Originally posted by skatanic28

youre gonna have some fun if ur tryin to get rid of the resonator between the filter and the throttle body. that thing is massive. youd be much better off just gettin the midpipe.
one of my friends used dryer vent hose, sure its ghetto. but its also cheap and effective
id say just find a midpipe
it took me 30 minutes to remove the resonator and plug it up with a pvc pipe end cap (home depot). $2. make sure you get the white pvc and not the black pvc. the white one has a higher temp rating. don't expect to gain any ponies... just noise.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm....

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy

it took me 30 minutes to remove the resonator and plug it up with a pvc pipe end cap (home depot). $2. make sure you get the white pvc and not the black pvc. the white one has a higher temp rating. don't expect to gain any ponies... just noise.
ive got a vg so maybe were seein two different things here?
it sure as hell doesnt seem that simple with my stock piping
Old 09-18-2002, 08:55 PM

my bad

Originally posted by skatanic28

ive got a vg so maybe were seein two different things here?
it sure as hell doesnt seem that simple with my stock piping
didn't notice that...