3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My Odometer And Trip Meter Stopped Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Odometer And Trip Meter Stopped Moving

HEY GUYS I'M TOTALLY BAFFLED AS TO WHY MY ODOMETER AND TRIP METER ISN'T MOVING AT ALL. I HAVE ABOUT 113385 MILES ON THE CAR. IS THERE A FIX TO THIS. WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO SELL THE CAR AT A LATTER TIME. DON'T WORRY....I WANT ANOTHER MAX. HELP!!!!
Old 09-15-2002, 08:52 PM

Re: My Odometer And Trip Meter Stopped Moving

Originally posted by Nmax92
HEY GUYS I'M TOTALLY BAFFLED AS TO WHY MY ODOMETER AND TRIP METER ISN'T MOVING AT ALL. I HAVE ABOUT 113385 MILES ON THE CAR. IS THERE A FIX TO THIS. WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO SELL THE CAR AT A LATTER TIME. DON'T WORRY....I WANT ANOTHER MAX. HELP!!!!
http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending
Old 09-15-2002, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: My Odometer And Trip Meter Stopped Moving

I think in the gauge cluster there's a little motor that turns the odometer and trip odometer. I guess since it's a little motor it can go bad. It doesn't matter if your car doesn't record a few miles, no one will know if you try and sell the car. It would be a different case if you rolled back the odometer further back than your last inspection where your total miles are noted.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:00 PM

Re: My Odometer And Trip Meter Stopped Moving

Originally posted by Nmax92

Your poor max.. I think its ruined... oh well you can sell it to me for $50... haha actually your speed sensor (electronic in this case) has bit the big one. Its located one your transmission and is held in place by one 10mm screw/bolt... simply remove this and disconnect the harness associated with it and pull the sensor out (it has a RED gear on the end of it.. if you look at it you'll probably see the middle seems to be "bowed" in.. this is just normal wear and the plastic teeth have finally worn so much they can't mesh with the gears in the tranny so its no longer spinning and sending a signal back to the odo/trip... soooo long story short.. remove replace with adequate replacemanet purchased from www.courtesyparts.com or by calling courtesy nissan.... nuff said.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:53 AM

Re: Re: My Odometer And Trip Meter Stopped Moving

Originally posted by justinmc

Your poor max.. I think its ruined... oh well you can sell it to me for $50... haha actually your speed sensor (electronic in this case) has bit the big one. Its located one your transmission and is held in place by one 10mm screw/bolt... simply remove this and disconnect the harness associated with it and pull the sensor out (it has a RED gear on the end of it.. if you look at it you'll probably see the middle seems to be "bowed" in.. this is just normal wear and the plastic teeth have finally worn so much they can't mesh with the gears in the tranny so its no longer spinning and sending a signal back to the odo/trip... soooo long story short.. remove replace with adequate replacemanet purchased from www.courtesyparts.com or by calling courtesy nissan.... nuff said.
if his tach and speedometer is working, it shouldn't be the speed sensor. my odometer works intermittently but my tach and speedometer are fine.

if you searched you would have found this:
http://www.angelfire.com/geek/vg30de...ix_Cluster.htm