3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

XM Satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002 | 08:58 PM

XM Satellite radio?

Anybody have this new technology installed yet? I was at Circut City and 2 guys were each having one installed. One guy had a 94 Max. This XM Radio is virtually commercial free, you can drive anywhere and keep the same station on, and get all music from unedited rap, to classic rock and news. i was curious if anybody on this board has had an install, and if so how do you like it?
Old 09-18-2002 | 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: XM Satellite radio?

Originally posted by veejayes
Anybody have this new technology installed yet? I was at Circut City and 2 guys were each having one installed. One guy had a 94 Max. This XM Radio is virtually commercial free, you can drive anywhere and keep the same station on, and get all music from unedited rap, to classic rock and news. i was curious if anybody on this board has had an install, and if so how do you like it?
I don't have XM, but I have Sirius. I have had it for about two months now. I did have XM when I had my Pioneer HU, but when I switched to the Kenwood KDC-MP919 HU, I had to change over to Siriua. On top of the HU, it cost me another $140 for the tuner and $60 for the antenna. I also signed up with Sirius under a promotion which gave me a full year for $100 flat. Anyway, I cna tell you the differences between the two from what I experienced. XM is not commercial free on its music stations. Some of them are, but they are few and far between. Their talk radio stuff is okay, with only a few channels sticking out in my mind. I love Sirius. I don't think I could have got a better deal for my money. Sirius is 100% commercial free on all of its music stations. Its music selection s awesome. DJs are not bound to a certain playlist, they will play whatever they like. I like that because you get a chance to hear new bands before they get really big. They have a lot of talk and news radio, but I mostly listen to their comedy stations and ESPN radio. They have two ESPN stations. One is ESPN radio and the other is ESPN News. It is the exact same broadcast that ESPN news is playing on TV. I like that alot because I never get to watch SportsCenter or anything like that in the morning because I am always running late. Since I have a 25 minute drive, I can turn on the ESPN news channel and listen to it on the way to work. One thing that XM has and that Sirius currently does not are units that you transport between house and car. That is, you can take the units inside the house and listen to the radio. I would kill to be able to do that where I work. But, I wouldn't want to be lugging equipment back and forth.

Bottom line, either of them are good investments. I had XM for about 5 months before I changed over to Sirius. I have only had Sirius for two months but it FAR outshines XM in my opinion. If you have the money, jump on it. You won't be disappointed. My only recommendation is that you think about how much time you actually spend in your car before you purchase all of this. I have almost an hour round trip drive to and from work daily. I just finished my Master's, but when I was going to school, I had a 2 1/2 hour round trip drive to and from college twice per week. I also have a 9 hour round trip drive to see my fiance every other weekend (she's a senior at a college 4 1/2 hours from here). Needless to say, I spend quite a bit of time in my car. Do you?

C.D.
Old 09-18-2002 | 08:36 AM

Re: Re: XM Satellite radio?

Originally posted by C-Dawg

I have almost an hour round trip drive to and from work daily. I just finished my Master's, but when I was going to school, I had a 2 1/2 hour round trip drive to and from college twice per week. I also have a 9 hour round trip drive to see my fiance every other weekend (she's a senior at a college 4 1/2 hours from here). Needless to say, I spend quite a bit of time in my car. Do you?

C.D.
how many miles u got on yur ride?
Old 09-22-2002 | 06:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: XM Satellite radio?

Originally posted by lophix

how many miles u got on yur ride?
On my 94 Max, I got 165,000.
On my 01 S/C Max, I got 23,500.
On my Honda CBR, I got 2,100.

I will be selling both the CBR and the 01 pretty soon. I am real close to buying a Lincoln LS or a Lincoln Navigator. My brother is the business manager for a compnay that owns a Ford dealership and a Lincoln dealership. They have an 01 Navigator on the lot that I can get for about $24,000. It has only 21,000 miles on it. The LS has no miles on it.

C.D.
Old 09-22-2002 | 06:45 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I just did a video install in a navi last week, its a nice truck, we also sold him some 22" wheels, the truck is crazy, he gonna do audio next month. Id take the Navi over the LS
Old 09-22-2002 | 04:22 PM

Originally posted by N34JZ
I just did a video install in a navi last week, its a nice truck, we also sold him some 22" wheels, the truck is crazy, he gonna do audio next month. Id take the Navi over the LS
Yeah, I am leaning to the Navi as well. I want something BIG. I love my 3rd Gen and as I have said before I will keep it till the wheels fall off and then I will just get new wheels. I am not as happy with the 01 as I am the 3rd Gen and I am beginning to believe it was a poor purchase. The car is in perfect condition, I just don't like it as much as the 94. My brother is trying to talk me into getting an 03 Expedition, but I don't like the way they look. Whatever I get from there, I will get it for their cost, not any of that advertised invoice crap. I have had rims sitting here for almost 4 months. My brother used to have a 2001 F150 that was lowered and had 20 inch KMC Venom rims on it. I am going to put them on the SUV. It should look pretty tight.
Old 09-22-2002 | 04:56 PM

Well, i just got the XM system installed! Went with XM ove SIRIUS because of the price difference (9.95 per month vs. 12.95) and the fact that the guy at Circut City told me that some SIRIUS customers had been complaining about poor signal strength and music selection. I got the Sony XM unit installed. I also had 2 XPLOD 12" subs installed with a custom box and a 1000w amp. It is amazing the quality of music that the XM unit puts out. It is seriously better than CD's. It is all digital, and I have 100 channels at my fingertips...whoa. Especially, Ch.66 (uncut hip hop) and ch. 82 (urban techno mixes). There is too much to choose from. On my way to work, i couldn't decide on what to listen to, ESPN news, or CnBC news. Its great. On the music channels, there are real DJ's spinning whatever they want, so you get an unbeatable variety of music, not like regular radio or cd's which get old VERY QUICK! Overall i give the satellite radio technology a 10 out of 10. XM has superior quality, but the whole revolution in radio is awesome...After my boy came for a ride in my max the day i got it, he wanted one. He's buying a '03 car, a GMC Denali XL, which comes equipped with XM. And they can figure the monthly payment right into the payment of the truck! This *hit is crazy...i suggest everyone to go check it out, you won't regret it...
Old 09-23-2002 | 12:27 PM

Re: Re: XM Satellite radio?

I feel ya on that one, i used to have a g/f that lived 400 miles away, and granted i never had satelite radio, but the HU helped relieve the bordem. Good thing about the max, its like got freakin auto-pilot, drives so smooth.

Old 09-23-2002 | 01:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey c-dawg

if you go with the LS go with the v8 sport package. My pops has the LS v6 with the sport suspension and man does that thing handle like its on rails but he should have went with the v8 it is definelty worth it. Buy XM radio please I have stock in it!!!!
Old 10-03-2002 | 07:59 AM

Re: Hey c-dawg

Originally posted by Kevincleff
if you go with the LS go with the v8 sport package. My pops has the LS v6 with the sport suspension and man does that thing handle like its on rails but he should have went with the v8 it is definelty worth it. Buy XM radio please I have stock in it!!!!
Okay guys, I am at a crossroads. I have made up my mind to order something new. I don't want anything used because I have had too many problems in the past. Below are my choices:

1.) 2003 Mustang Cobra
2.) 2003 Lincoln Navigator
3.) 2003 Lincoln LS V8

Because of my brother working there, after I trade in my 01 and the CBR, I will put about $5000 down and walk away with the Navi completely paid for. The same goes for the Mustang and the LS with only putting $1500 on it.

What y'all think?
Old 10-03-2002 | 08:22 AM

Re: Re: Hey c-dawg

Okay guys, I am at a crossroads. I have made up my mind to order something new. I don't want anything used because I have had too many problems in the past. Below are my choices:

1.) 2003 Mustang Cobra
3.) 2003 Lincoln LS V8

Because of my brother working there, after I trade in my 01 and the CBR, I will put about $5000 down and walk away with the Navi completely paid for. The same goes for the Mustang and the LS with only putting $1500 on it.

What y'all think?
Depends on your current needs.

Do you want to want to have serious engine mods that will eventually make you car into a beast at the track? ---->Get the Mustang

Do you want floss and eventually be sitting duece-dueces?---->Get the Navi

like I said it depends.......
Old 10-03-2002 | 11:48 AM

Re: Re: Hey c-dawg

1.) 2003 Mustang Cobra
3.) 2003 Lincoln LS V8

What y'all think?
I agree, depends on your needs.

See if your bro can get an X5, then you will have the best of both worlds!
Old 10-03-2002 | 01:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hey c-dawg

isnt there supposed to be a 6 spd s/c ls coming out soon? i heard about something like that a while back. oh yeah '03 cobras are frickin badass. my cousin got one recently and he let me take it for a spin, felt more like 500 horses rather than 390.
Old 10-03-2002 | 01:19 PM

Originally posted by veejayes
Well, i just got the XM system installed! Went with XM ove SIRIUS because of the price difference (9.95 per month vs. 12.95) and the fact that the guy at Circut City told me that some SIRIUS customers had been complaining about poor signal strength and music selection. I got the Sony XM unit installed. I also had 2 XPLOD 12" subs installed with a custom box and a 1000w amp. It is amazing the quality of music that the XM unit puts out. It is seriously better than CD's. It is all digital, and I have 100 channels at my fingertips...whoa. Especially, Ch.66 (uncut hip hop) and ch. 82 (urban techno mixes). There is too much to choose from. On my way to work, i couldn't decide on what to listen to, ESPN news, or CnBC news. Its great. On the music channels, there are real DJ's spinning whatever they want, so you get an unbeatable variety of music, not like regular radio or cd's which get old VERY QUICK! Overall i give the satellite radio technology a 10 out of 10. XM has superior quality, but the whole revolution in radio is awesome...After my boy came for a ride in my max the day i got it, he wanted one. He's buying a '03 car, a GMC Denali XL, which comes equipped with XM. And they can figure the monthly payment right into the payment of the truck! This *hit is crazy...i suggest everyone to go check it out, you won't regret it...

Do you have a XM ready headunit, or did you buy the special adaptor to connect to your other headunit?
Old 10-03-2002 | 09:19 PM

I got the XM adapter...so I can still play cd's and s*hit...The whole set up cost me about $350...install, antenna, unit, subscription, all that...
Old 10-08-2002 | 08:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey c-dawg

Originally posted by matt1sd
isnt there supposed to be a 6 spd s/c ls coming out soon? i heard about something like that a while back. oh yeah '03 cobras are frickin badass. my cousin got one recently and he let me take it for a spin, felt more like 500 horses rather than 390.
Well, after looking at things and doing some test drives over the past few days, I got the Cobra. I love it. My fiance had a 98 Vette and the Cobra easily whips it. She has a BMW X5 now, so why should I get an SUV when I will be married in under a year and I can drive hers? I originally wanted something bigger. That was the reason I was going to get the Navigator. The Navigator is just an overpriced Expedition. That's my opinion anyway. With the money I will be saving on my insurance payments for the motorcycle, I can actually take money to finish fixing up my 94 GXE and start working on the Cobra. I was real close to buying a Lightning, but the Cobra easily outhandled it. It was close on low end acceleration, but after you drop to second, that's it. The Lightning's autotragic can't compete.

Well, one thing is still up for question, how long will I keep it? I usually get another vehicle after 9 months or so because I get tired of it. I compare everything to my 3rd Gen when I should realize nothing can really compare.

C.D.
Old 10-09-2002 | 11:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey c-dawg

Well, after looking at things and doing some test drives over the past few days, I got the Cobra. I love it. My fiance had a 98 Vette and the Cobra easily whips it. She has a BMW X5 now, so why should I get an SUV when I will be married in under a year and I can drive hers? I originally wanted something bigger. That was the reason I was going to get the Navigator. The Navigator is just an overpriced Expedition. That's my opinion anyway. With the money I will be saving on my insurance payments for the motorcycle, I can actually take money to finish fixing up my 94 GXE and start working on the Cobra. I was real close to buying a Lightning, but the Cobra easily outhandled it. It was close on low end acceleration, but after you drop to second, that's it. The Lightning's autotragic can't compete.

Well, one thing is still up for question, how long will I keep it? I usually get another vehicle after 9 months or so because I get tired of it. I compare everything to my 3rd Gen when I should realize nothing can really compare.

C.D.
Must be nice.