6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

08 SE with bad FM reception

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

08 SE with bad FM reception

I have an 08 with factory Bose and started getting bad radio reception all of a sudden. Sometimes you can crank the car and all is perfect then other times you start it and can only get half (local) stations and all the others go to static. From what I can read there is an antenna amp in the rear pillar. Could this be the culprit or possibly a bad HU? An aftermarket HU is out of question as this is my wife's car and simplicity is best. Thanks
Old 11-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chisam14
I have an 08 with factory Bose and started getting bad radio reception all of a sudden. Sometimes you can crank the car and all is perfect then other times you start it and can only get half (local) stations and all the others go to static. From what I can read there is an antenna amp in the rear pillar. Could this be the culprit or possibly a bad HU? An aftermarket HU is out of question as this is my wife's car and simplicity is best. Thanks
dunno if u are still having this problem, but I have an 04 with the same issue. Just a couple years ago I was installing Mobile Electronics professionally: car stereos, radar Scramblers, remote start keyless entry alarm systems, GPS tracking devices with starter disabler, etc. Because now I mostly just listen to talk radio, I haven't had the time to look into it when I first got it I added a pair of Memphis 12s to the factory Bose system and know that it sounds amazing when I get clean reception, which is almost never,* I would really like to at least clear up my radio reception. So I will put this on my agenda. if you have figured this out please let me know. If you're still looking for help also let me know and I will report back with what I find.

*Also the disc changer is a piece of crap and I can't seem to find a cassette adapter that will work for more than a couple days, but you know what it's like when you're flipping through the stations and just happen to find that one particular song and you just want to rock out. Plus I like all the options on the display and can't justify blowing the money on a brand new head unit along with the module it would take to interface with the car that still probably wouldn't give me everything the factory heads up display does.

Last edited by Ash B; 11-06-2018 at 08:59 PM.