3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just grounded my VTC's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just grounded my VTC's

I just followed Craig's website instructions on grounding the VTC's on my 1993 SE that had been ticking like crazy for at least the past year. It was such an easy job, even for a novice (like me).
The ticking is now gone (except for about one second right when starting the engine). And the engine seems to run and accelerate a bit smoother now. I can't tell if there has been any power loss when driving, but the power seems about the same.

Is there a consensus regarding whether the ticking VTCs could eventually cause a major engine problem (due to a failed sprocket/spring, perhaps)? If so, does grounding the VTC solenoids prevent such a potential reliability problem from occuring, or is it just a cosmetic "fix" that eliminates the annoying ticking?

Now that I've grounded the solenoids, is the timing always UNadvanced (or always advanced)?
Finally, would it be much advantage to switch to synthetic oil and the special Nissan filter for the 3rd Gen. SE's, now that the VTC's are no longer ticking?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2002, 10:19 AM
I'm needing a caw

Same danger grounded/ungrounded. I think it stays in the unadvanced postion(didn't want to say retarded position haha). Yes you should be using the VE filter or equal.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:25 PM

Is there a special filter for the SE's? What is the difference?

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Same danger grounded/ungrounded. I think it stays in the unadvanced postion(didn't want to say retarded position haha). Yes you should be using the VE filter or equal.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

searchity search search

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

Originally posted by SCOTTFISH
Is there a special filter for the SE's? What is the difference?

Old 09-23-2002, 04:09 PM

This comming weekend I'm going to do a oil pressure test. I'm suspicious of the oil pressure regulator, I think its the main culprit of failing VTCs. I'll also be installing a WS Y-pipe, so since I'm half way there I'll replace the oil pressure regulator. Then I'll do another round of oil pressure tests. Also I'll compare the spec's for the old versus the new regulator assembly so I can tell if its the spring thats gone laim or the piston has worn out of spec.

Well we all know that our VTCs are powered by oil pressure, so when the assemblies are engaged (during rpms below 3000), my guess is that the oil pressure is not great enough to overcome the return spring. So the spring is able to fight the oil pressure (or constantly try to fight it). So that is also what kills the spring, its constantly oscillating back and forth, engaging then disengaging the sprokets. Which is what also ruins the sproket assemblies over time, thats why just replacing the spring is not enough in some cases in solving the problem.

Well we'll all find out if I'm right or not, by this weekend