3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just bought a 91... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just bought a 91... now what?

Heh... just got my 91 Max SE. Super Black with tan leather int. I love this car already, 135,000 and drives strong. My question is... what should I do first? The car is bone stock. She just had an oil change and tune up... she needs brake pads, I'm replacing the AM/FM/Tape Bose head unit... and taking off the pinstripe, but now what? Any suggestions?

Also... the in dash clock only works intermittantly, and the seat belt warning chime will go off randomly whether I have the seatbelt on or not!
Old 09-25-2002, 01:56 AM

Re: Just bought a 91... now what?

Originally posted by dmaurio
Heh... just got my 91 Max SE. Super Black with tan leather int. I love this car already, 135,000 and drives strong. My question is... what should I do first? The car is bone stock. She just had an oil change and tune up... she needs brake pads, I'm replacing the AM/FM/Tape Bose head unit... and taking off the pinstripe, but now what? Any suggestions?

Also... the in dash clock only works intermittantly, and the seat belt warning chime will go off randomly whether I have the seatbelt on or not!
Intake
Old 09-25-2002, 03:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Just bought a 91... now what?

Originally posted by dmaurio

You should consider suspension upgrades first. I feel that they offer the most bang for the buck. Plus, if you are running stock components, you are long overdue!

Do a search for:
Eibach
Tokico
Suspension Techniques (S/T)
Addco
KYB
Koni
Springs
Struts
FSTB
H&R

I would recommend going with Tokico struts and Eibach springs. The springs will lower your car about 1.2" and the Tokicos will add some much needed firmness and control to the ride. You will also want to consider a Front Strut Tower Bar (FSTB). A good place for this is www.courtesyparts.com. The bar should run you around $70 - $80, the sruts about $360 and the springs about $230. I got mine from www.shox.com. Don't forget to order new strut boots and strut mounts. A good place for this is www.tirerack.com or www.courtesyparts.com . Courtesy will give you a discount if you mention the .org.

After those are done, you could upgrade your anti-sway bar with a kit from Suspension techniques. Be warned: The mounting points for the back bar will eventually break if you don't reinforce them. (search, this has been discussed in detail) Also, www.warpspeedperformance.com sells subframe connectors for our cars. These are also an excellent upgrade.

Finally, don't forget to put on the best tires that you can afford.
You could drive a Ferrari, but if your tires suck, the car will handle like crap. www.tirerack.com is a great place to do research and to purchase them. I would recommend at least an Ultra High Performance All Season tire such as the Yokohama AVS dB, BridgeStone Potenza RE940 or RE950, or Dunlop Sport 5000. Again, search. All of these tires are reviewed in the archives.

Finally, I would recommend searching before you get new brake pads. Some good key words are Porterfield, PFC, and EBC. Be sure to have your rotors checked. If they are to worn, replace them.

Have fun.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:33 PM

depends what your goin for...

style? performance? or all? make shur your car is in check before you mod it. like the tranny engine and everything are working to there best potential. i would get an intake because it is basically one of the 1st mods anyone does. you could call it the bases on HP mods. because every other mod basically works with it. or a FSTB (front strut tower brace) this is probably one of the cheapest. but best mods for your money. it will help the car to lean less into turns and stay flat. check out courtesy nissan
Old 09-25-2002, 11:04 PM

gash! is that all y'all are about?

DUDE! first thing you do is get your timing belt changed.
auto or 5speed? either way, change the tranny fluid and flush coolant. (preventives)
Have front arms,y-pipe and resonator inspected. Check especially for grease on cv.

Drive the car for about 2weeks constantly after that and if all's well, then come back, hit the link below,

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

check out craig and Da-max's sites amongst others, and check other people's rides for ideas on style, and finally, enjoy doing the above.

Old 09-28-2002, 08:47 PM

nah seriously, get the eurolite hyperwhites in the doors and dome lights. hot and cheap.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:23 PM

Front Strut Tower Brace.........the very first mod that should be done. This will get you hooked on suspension mods.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: depends what your goin for...

Originally posted by nismo-max500
style? performance? or all? make shur your car is in check before you mod it. like the tranny engine and everything are working to there best potential. i would get an intake because it is basically one of the 1st mods anyone does. you could call it the bases on HP mods. because every other mod basically works with it. or a FSTB (front strut tower brace) this is probably one of the cheapest. but best mods for your money. it will help the car to lean less into turns and stay flat. check out courtesy nissan

Timing belt has been replaced as per vehicle maint. suggestions. Previous owner was a doctor and METICULOUS with this car, to the point of having the floor mats replaced every 6 mos... and I have all the service record receipts to prove it! The car came with a binder that is over 3" thick of regular maint. receipts showing a perfect record of all tune ups, oil changes, and every thing that was ever done with the car. I've even got a copy of the original window sticker, bill of sale, and "How to care for your new leather seats" from the dealer!

I've replaced the intake with the Stillin Intake and a K&N Filter, wow, what a difference already... looking into the suspension mods now...
Old 11-06-2002, 07:54 PM

how bout the vg30det swap? very nice mod
Old 11-06-2002, 08:30 PM
ShOwMaX

Pervis Anathema ....wow....do you get commission advertising all these names??? .......j/k...man
....its good youre helping a newbie!!! Not telling them to go search and blah blah blah..... Me, im no newbie. i was a max fanatic before my account got screwed.

damurio--what you should do first is what you like best about your car. I mean if you like speed....go for speed. If you like looks and styles go for it. Me, personally i like style so i spend more $$$ on looks. If i only had more $$$ i would go both ways.
....Actually if i didnt get rear ended about two weeks ago i would be going places with my max. Too bad for me tho. But now it gives me a chance to look for a92+se.

well....good luck with your modding.
And if you dont mind me asking...how much did you pay for your max???

Old 11-07-2002, 04:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by ShOwMaX
Pervis Anathema ....wow....do you get commission advertising all these names??? .......j/k...man
....its good youre helping a newbie!!! Not telling them to go search and blah blah blah..... Me, im no newbie. i was a max fanatic before my account got screwed.

damurio--what you should do first is what you like best about your car. I mean if you like speed....go for speed. If you like looks and styles go for it. Me, personally i like style so i spend more $$$ on looks. If i only had more $$$ i would go both ways.
....Actually if i didnt get rear ended about two weeks ago i would be going places with my max. Too bad for me tho. But now it gives me a chance to look for a92+se.

well....good luck with your modding.
And if you dont mind me asking...how much did you pay for your max???
Good advice, I'm actually interested in an equal balance of performance and style leaning heavily on dependability and reliability. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Total price was just under $4000 including tax and tags in NJ. She's got about 136k miles on her.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:16 AM

PM StealthMax for a FSTB. That's a great next mod and a whole lot cheaper than the Courtesy one (you have a VG so why would you go to Courtesy??).

I wouldn't get the Eibachs and Tokicos unless you plan on racing the crap out of it. They don't ride as well and cost more.

Sway bars are also great suspension mods, but the best suspension mod you will ever do is wheels/tires as they are by far teh most important link in the chain...

Good luck and welcome to the org