3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

attn: Stillen bodykit owners!!!! Need help installing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 04:00 PM
bjyang

attn: Stillen bodykit owners!!!! Need help installing

i just got my kit today!!! But im stuck on how the kit stays on the car!!! Im sure i can think of something to get the sides to stay on but the front and back??? How did you 3rd gen stillen body kit owners mount your kit on??? All your help is appreciated!! I know/heard of putting doublesided tape on the front and rear but im sure that will not hold the whole piece on. Again, your help is highly appreciated!!! I might add....i did do some SEARCH!!!

thankx
bj

Old 09-25-2002, 04:54 PM

3m double sided tape and self tapping screws at the ends. You could also put screw behind the rear license plate.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

ditto that
Old 09-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

read the directions, it says to take the bumpers off and drill holes in the kit where the bumper bolts to the suports.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:42 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by N34JZ read the directions, it says to take the bumpers off and drill holes in the kit where the bumper bolts to the suports.
Did the instructions really say that, that's my problem I never read. Anyway, when I installed mine couple years back along with the double sided take I used pop rivets where ever possible without them being seen, i.e. door jams, wheel well, behind license plate (as mention earlier), muffler cut-out area, fog light cut-out area, etc. The sides where a no brainer, the back took a little thinking, but the front was a nightmare. The contour of the front bumper really presented a problem. I've been lucky so far and I've hit driveways, parking stall dividers and it's still hanging on.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:24 PM

rivets & 2sided tape
Old 09-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

yeah they do say to do that, my body shops doing that and there gonna glue it on
Old 09-26-2002, 01:17 PM

will some one explain rivets to me? any tools needed
Old 09-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by kingrye
yes a rivet gun
Old 09-26-2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by kingrye
go ask jeeves
Old 10-02-2002, 05:50 PM
ShOwMaX

yo im back!!!! Im bjyang who started the thread. I cant reply to treads anymore for some reason!!! Yes..now imma newbie again!!! That sucks. I can log in under my name but cant reply to anythings!!

hey n34jz......my kit from southwestautoworks never came with any INSTRUCTION!! Damn them. WTH...like i read instructions anyways!!

So my best bet would be to use rivets and doublesided tape???? Will it be sturdy enough to hold the kit??? I kno the sides will have no problems staying on because i can bolt it to the car underneath. The front and rear.....theres not much room to rivet/bolt it on. The only places i see is the fender sides and by the fog lights for the front!!! for the rear....behind the plates and where the rear quarter panels are!!!

Old 10-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by ShOwMaX
yo im back!!!! Im bjyang who started the thread. I cant reply to treads anymore for some reason!!! Yes..now imma newbie again!!! That sucks. I can log in under my name but cant reply to anythings!!

hey n34jz......my kit from southwestautoworks never came with any INSTRUCTION!! Damn them. WTH...like i read instructions anyways!!

So my best bet would be to use rivets and doublesided tape???? Will it be sturdy enough to hold the kit??? I kno the sides will have no problems staying on because i can bolt it to the car underneath. The front and rear.....theres not much room to rivet/bolt it on. The only places i see is the fender sides and by the fog lights for the front!!! for the rear....behind the plates and where the rear quarter panels are!!!
my instructions were in the bag with the rivets, bolts and double sided tape, Id check the box again or talk to alex @ swaw and see if they can send it too you, I left mine in the car at the body shop, other wise Id post um for you
Old 10-02-2002, 07:34 PM

ive only got the front lip, and well, im not impressed with it. The lip didnt fit properly at all near the fog light section. It had to be cut, and also heated and reshaped to fit tight against the bumper lines.

The junk they sent with the lip to mount it, well, i just threw it out. I made my own brackets for the bottom of the lip, which i screwed to the rad support, and the one screw on each side of the lip in the fender areas. The rest of the bumper lip is held on with urethane. Its the best thing to use, nevermind that 3M stuff, its good, but not good enough for this application. It would still leave a gap on the bumper line where the lip would meet the bumper. So i just used urethane to both hold the lip, and at the same time, to seal the gap all the way around.

And no, it wont fall off. Has your windshield ever fallen off?so why would a small urethane lip fall off? Urethane is awesome, but tough as **** getting off your hands and clothes. It takes about a week for it to wash off your skin.

I would maybe suggest to use urethane(available from any windshield place, like $20CAD(US guys do your conversion for american currency)), on all your body skirts.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:33 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by trbo
ive only got the front lip, and well, im not impressed with it. The lip didnt fit properly at all near the fog light section. It had to be cut, and also heated and reshaped to fit tight against the bumper lines.
I dont know about cut but yeah you can heat it, also you have to remember if your a second owner the car may have had some body work , which would make it not fit perfect.

I got two new bumpers for my repaint and the body shop said the kit fits perfect on the new bumpers, and I know it was a bit off on the old bumpers because of some plastic work
Old 10-03-2002, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by N34JZ
yeah they do say to do that, my body shops doing that and there gonna glue it on
There ya go. Mine is riveted in the wheel wells and in the door jams on the top of the side skirts. There are also rivets in the front lip just above the fog lights. The sides of the front lip and rear apron are two sided taped. There are rivets behind the license plate and the front lip between the fog lights is urethane puttied to the lower factory bumper cover. 5 years and going strong.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by N34JZ
There ya go. Mine is riveted in the wheel wells and in the door jams on the top of the side skirts. There are also rivets in the front lip just above the fog lights. The sides of the front lip and rear apron are two sided taped. There are rivets behind the license plate and the front lip between the fog lights is urethane puttied to the lower factory bumper cover. 5 years and going strong.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:31 PM
ShOwMaX

instructions....never found!!!
rivets.....never found!!!
any type of mounting accessories...never found!!!
ohhhh.....and my kit didnt even come in a damn box!!! It came taped up. The rear and front so it dont wobble all over!! Im starting to think i got screwed a little by alex. I'll just have to call em up soon.

but anyhow....this weekend i should be painting my kit and some parts of my car. Im hoping it should be on the car by this weekend!! I thank all of you who replied!! But either way....i'll make that damn kit stay on the car!!!!
one last question........how do you get rid of the gaps between the kit and bumpers if you were to get them??? Someone said urethene!! Is that like some type of thing that holds like glue or something???

Old 10-04-2002, 09:55 AM

yup, urethane, you can get it at any windshield shop. Its used to hold in windshields. Its the strongest flexible stuff ive ever met.

Dont get any on your clothes or skin, you will find out why i say that if you do!!

Good luck.