3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Injector costs.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002 | 07:13 PM

Fuel Injector costs.....

I went to the nissan dealership cuz I need my fuel injectors changed. I have two options,

1) replace the two bad ones for about $500.00, at this point they don't know if the other ones are bad without rippin the max apart.

OR

2) replace all of them for about $1200.00 (they recommend this one)

First of all is this easy for a diy and second are the price for this reasonable or am I just bending over for them?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2002 | 07:34 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Fuel Injector costs.....

the job can be done by you, BUT..you'll need an FSM or at least a Haynes manual(or you can get the directions from Bryan Tisch's site). I started to do mine, but I ran into problems properly seating the injectors wihtout pinching the lower O-rings...took me 3+ tries and some help from my mechanic, but it turned out okay in the end. as long as you follow the directions and be meticulous you'll do it right!

and you can get remanufactured injectors from Directparts.com for about $50-60 each if I remember correctly! Nissan injectors are new, but at ~$120 each they aint cheap!

Originally posted by Vumax_1
I went to the nissan dealership cuz I need my fuel injectors changed. I have two options,

1) replace the two bad ones for about $500.00, at this point they don't know if the other ones are bad without rippin the max apart.

OR

2) replace all of them for about $1200.00 (they recommend this one)

First of all is this easy for a diy and second are the price for this reasonable or am I just bending over for them?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2002 | 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Fuel Injector costs.....

I had all 6 changed on my 93' GXE last year. It had 95K on it then. It cost me $900 at an import shop.

I would consider changing all six, being that the only extra it will cost is for teh parts, the loabor will be very minor.

You could do it yourself, but that would depend on your skill. I wouldn't do it as a fist engine job.
Old 09-30-2002 | 08:29 PM
Tom

Actually, I'm doing this right now. You'll need to replace two gaskets - upper and lower intake collector. These two will run you about $16 at the Dealer.

The injector at the local Nissan Dealer was $126.

I haven't bought the injector yet as I spent quite awhile figuring out how to remove the injector harness connector without damaging it (I finally got it off and I found that my injectors have a blue dot).

I'm debating whether to change the other injectors out myself. The job isn't too hard, but not the easiest, especially after a long day at work.
Old 09-30-2002 | 08:50 PM

Thanks guys for your inputs, very much appreciate it.

I'm guessing I'm going to have with the option 2. But is the price reasonable for this king of thing?

Thanks again
Old 09-30-2002 | 08:59 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

reasonable price?? well you have to consider...

1. its Nissan, they survive off charging you more than necessary, bastards!!

2. if you go with Nissan they put in NEW OEM injectors which cost more than reman ones and you get a warranty of course

3.if you don't have the knowledge to DIY, then paying big money to get this done is your only option

you could probably find a small shop to do it for less, but personally I wouldn't let a small shop do this unless you know them personally or know how their work has turned out in the past. but $500 is a lot for only 2 injectors...I mean $240 for 2 injectors and I guess $260 in labor...thats high, but hell most if not all dealers are like that!

perosnally I think they charge a lot because it take about 50 hours just to scrape off the old intake gasket!!

But is the price reasonable for this king of thing?

Thanks again
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:15 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
reasonable price?? well you have to consider...

1. its Nissan, they survive off charging you more than necessary, bastards!!

2. if you go with Nissan they put in NEW OEM injectors which cost more than reman ones and you get a warranty of course

3.if you don't have the knowledge to DIY, then paying big money to get this done is your only option

you could probably find a small shop to do it for less, but personally I wouldn't let a small shop do this unless you know them personally or know how their work has turned out in the past. but $500 is a lot for only 2 injectors...I mean $240 for 2 injectors and I guess $260 in labor...thats high, but hell most if not all dealers are like that!

perosnally I think they charge a lot because it take about 50 hours just to scrape off the old intake gasket!!

You said it, (damn bastards) Just out of curiousity, could one of the reasons why the injectors went bad, because I put in 3 full tanks of gas of 87 unleaded? Before I learned how to read that it uses premium. (that was about 2 months ago, only onwned max for 3).
Old 09-30-2002 | 10:59 PM

You said it, (damn bastards) Just out of curiousity, could one of the reasons why the injectors went bad, because I put in 3 full tanks of gas of 87 unleaded? Before I learned how to read that it uses premium. (that was about 2 months ago, only onwned max for 3).
i'm not sure about the VE but isn't the VG made to run on 87? i've always put that in and never had any problems.
Old 10-01-2002 | 04:59 PM

it shouldn't. all the octane does is prevent pinging...it's not a rating of the quality of the gas. many people use 87 and the car will retard the timing to prevent premature detonation.

the injectors were probably on its last legs when you got the car.
Old 10-01-2002 | 06:30 PM

When is it a good time to say good bye to the maxima?

So far I've changed the cv boot, repaired the oil thing to stop leakage, changed the sparks, new tires, going to change the injectors.

Should I just stick with it till the engine goes?
Old 10-01-2002 | 07:54 PM

CV boot, spark plugs and tires are standard wear items... The only time you don't have those issues is when you have a new car. If the body is in the kind of shape that is ok with you, and you can afford the repairs, keep it.

A decent new(er) car costs a bundle...

I look at it this way, a good used max would cost $14-18K, I bought mine for $4300. I bought the 89' for $2200. I've got $6500 into my cars, so that means I've got like 9-12K for repairs.
Old 10-01-2002 | 08:09 PM
Tom

Stick with it until the engine or transmission goes. Stuff you replaced are pretty common things to replace when any car gets old.

Also, It looks like I need two injectors, not just one.

I used my multi-meter to measure the resistance and here's the resistance values I found for each injector.

1 - 12.4 ohms
2 - 38.7 ohms
3 - 11.7 ohms
4 - 11.8 ohms
5 - 11.9 ohms
6 - Open (Bit the dust)

The allowable range per Nissan is 10-14 ohms according to Bryan Tisch's site.

http://members.csinet.net/tisch/maxima/injectors.htm

#2 injector doesn't seem so good, so I will change that one out as well as #6. I'm going to hold my breath that the other ones will last.
Old 10-01-2002 | 08:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

for all you guys doing the injector jobs yourselves and only replacing the broken injectors, why not at least get the ones you're not replacing ultrasonically cleaned by RCE?? a lil more piece of mind wouldn't you think??
Old 10-01-2002 | 08:17 PM

Originally posted by todamax
CV boot, spark plugs and tires are standard wear items... The only time you don't have those issues is when you have a new car. If the body is in the kind of shape that is ok with you, and you can afford the repairs, keep it.

A decent new(er) car costs a bundle...

I look at it this way, a good used max would cost $14-18K, I bought mine for $4300. I bought the 89' for $2200. I've got $6500 into my cars, so that means I've got like 9-12K for repairs.

never looked at it that way......I guess I will keep it a little longer till the engine goes or something in that magnitude.

Tom good luck on your repairs.
Old 10-01-2002 | 09:08 PM

$250 labor to change injector??? Gawp!

I just had one injector changed on my Maxima last week by my trusty mechanic. No labor change! I paid a total of $130 for the injector. Sure he did that because I bought the car from him, but the point is, if it's a difficult thing to do he won't do that. He said it was easy to do, that's why he's willing to do it for free this time. So if I had to pay for it, I suspect it won't be more than $30 max for it (half an hour rate). Your mechanic at the Nissan dealer was lounging off at the lounge watching TV at your expense. But hey, whaddaya expect from a dealer?
Old 10-02-2002 | 08:24 AM
CHM

I just changed the injectors in my '91 GXE and bought the injectors from Direct Auto for about 40 bucks each (reman.). The upper and lower gaskets were about 15 bucks. Also took the opportunity to change the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs. Cleaned everything up nice. Purchased new O rings from dealer (about 5 bucks a piece. Now, the car runs like new! Unbelievable difference. I had one problem with the #5 cylinder harness, and I would say these are a problem in general Lots of corrosion. I did the whole job for about 300 bucks. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2002 | 09:05 AM

Originally posted by CHM
I just changed the injectors in my '91 GXE and bought the injectors from Direct Auto for about 40 bucks each (reman.). The upper and lower gaskets were about 15 bucks. Also took the opportunity to change the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs. Cleaned everything up nice. Purchased new O rings from dealer (about 5 bucks a piece. Now, the car runs like new! Unbelievable difference. I had one problem with the #5 cylinder harness, and I would say these are a problem in general Lots of corrosion. I did the whole job for about 300 bucks. Good luck.

Wow you really got the bang for the buck. I can only hope to be so lucky. How good are the remanufactured ones and what are the difference between that and a new one (beside it being new).
Old 10-02-2002 | 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Agamemnon
$250 labor to change injector??? Gawp!

I just had one injector changed on my Maxima last week by my trusty mechanic. No labor change! I paid a total of $130 for the injector. Sure he did that because I bought the car from him, but the point is, if it's a difficult thing to do he won't do that. He said it was easy to do, that's why he's willing to do it for free this time. So if I had to pay for it, I suspect it won't be more than $30 max for it (half an hour rate). Your mechanic at the Nissan dealer was lounging off at the lounge watching TV at your expense. But hey, whaddaya expect from a dealer?
Its not that simple. You have to take the whole air plenum thing off the top, and unbolt the fuel rail. Its about a 4 hour job for all 6. I would say it would be a 3 hour job for 1.
Old 10-02-2002 | 11:32 AM
CHM

The remanufactured injectors use the same core, but all the other components/electronics are replaced. I don't know of any performance difference, but for the cost savings, it was worth it. If I have a problem down the road, it's still way cheaper to DIY with these injectors.
Old 10-02-2002 | 01:09 PM

Dam! You guys are paying alot for OEM injectors. I got mine for just under 100 each. Cost just under $600 do it myself.
Old 10-02-2002 | 06:29 PM

Originally posted by 92vemaxse
Dam! You guys are paying alot for OEM injectors. I got mine for just under 100 each. Cost just under $600 do it myself.
I would agree. As noted earlier in the thread, I paid $900 for all six, $300 was labor $600 was parts.