3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

problem!! plz reply

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

problem!! plz reply

the other day i was punching from a redlight and i noticed that it wouldn't shift to 2nd gear it would just hit redline. so i let go of the throttle and it shifted, now it shifts fine at low speeds but when I punch it this happens. has this happened to anybody or if you know whats wrong reply. thanks
Old 09-30-2002, 08:08 PM

how many miles

how many miles on the car.... its a tranny problem, they fail all different ways. see if your tranny fluid is at a good level, if its low put some LUCAS tranny fix in, this stuff works great, if its not low.. but getting a little dark..your tranny is burning it (its done like danny)..
-or you can do what i did... !!syphen!! about 3 quarts of tranny fuild out.. and then put in 3 quarts of the LUCAS tranny fix..
-if the car/tranny has a lot of miles on it you dont wana get a tranny fuild change.. you never know whats going to happen after they take all the old stuff out.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah mine has around 105,000 miles so how much do trannys cost?
Old 10-01-2002, 07:56 AM

wow

Originally posted by Krazy~Krone
yeah mine has around 105,000 miles so how much do trannys cost?
ok well tranny rebuilds are costly.. its one of thoes things you get what you pay for.. so if you pay 700 bucks for a tranny rebuild its going to brake the next day..lol
- a good rebuild (warranty and all) will be about $1000-$1500
Old 10-01-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: wow

If your transmission is having problems shifting when you're hitting gas hard and holding it, I've got a free solution to the problem, stop hitting the gas hard.

How far into the redline does it seem to go? Sometimes it seems a bit scary as to how far it'll go before it shifts.

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your tranny, sounds like you can drive like a normal person and it'll shift fine. I'd suggest taking your car to a dealer and having them flush the transmission.

Discolored transmission fluid doesn't mean that the transmission is almost done for, it could just mean that fluid has served it's time and now it's time for a flush. It's important that you don't drive your car on discolored fluid, without proper lubrication, it will surely malfunction. The transmission cooler in the radiator should also be cleaned by whoever does the flush, request it. Adding on an aftermarket cooler could be the best damn thing you would ever do for it. The myth about flushing the fluid on higher mileage cars is probably what causes most of these transmissions to fail. Your transmission needs proper fluid to run on, if it doesn't get it, too bad for you.

Filling your transmission up with those transmission treatments is stupid.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by Sudesh

Filling your transmission up with those transmission treatments is stupid.
WHAT! dude trust me ... my car was shifting sooo hard and it wouldn't even go into 3rd... after i did my getto tranny flush and used lucas trann. fix its been great.. i mean i have to let it warm up for about 5 min... but no more sliping or hard shifts.... this stuff works... when your putting it in its super super thick..soo it take like 10 min. for each bottle to get in
Old 10-01-2002, 09:19 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer

WHAT! dude trust me ... my car was shifting sooo hard and it wouldn't even go into 3rd... after i did my getto tranny flush and used lucas trann. fix its been great.. i mean i have to let it warm up for about 5 min... but no more sliping or hard shifts.... this stuff works... when your putting it in its super super thick..soo it take like 10 min. for each bottle to get in
Where'd you get it from, Chris?
Old 10-01-2002, 09:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

use high quality fluid..u don't have to add anything else to it.
it's like pouring a bottle of engine treatment to cheap oil.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: how many miles

[B..your tranny is burning it (its done like danny)..
[/B]
who's that referring to?
Old 10-01-2002, 09:32 AM

werd.....

Originally posted by DanNY

use high quality fluid..u don't have to add anything else to it.
it's like pouring a bottle of engine treatment to cheap oil.
don't use additives if you're going to do the flush... waste of money. fill it up with the good stuff.

got to www.myoilshop.com

redline stuff rules
Old 10-01-2002, 09:43 AM

Re: werd.....

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy

don't use additives if you're going to do the flush... waste of money. fill it up with the good stuff.

got to www.myoilshop.com

redline stuff rules
I second that..REDLINE works wonders, even on a 5spd with worn synchros!
Old 10-01-2002, 10:49 AM

You said you removed 3 quarts of your old transmission fluid and filled it back up with the Lucas transmission treatment.

Do you really think it was the Lucas that worked wonders?

I can almost guarantee you that the reason your transmission started to function semi-properly again was because you removed 3 quarts of the old fluid. The old fluid was probably worn to hell and causing your problems. When you added in the Lucas, it was 'almost' as adding new fluid in, hence the transmission now properly lubricated and functioning somewhat. Had you taken your car to the dealer and had a proper transmission flush done, you would have seen the same, if not better results.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by Sudesh

You said you removed 3 quarts of your old transmission fluid and filled it back up with the Lucas transmission treatment.

Do you really think it was the Lucas that worked wonders?

I can almost guarantee you that the reason your transmission started to function semi-properly again was because you removed 3 quarts of the old fluid. The old fluid was probably worn to hell and causing your problems. When you added in the Lucas, it was 'almost' as adding new fluid in, hence the transmission now properly lubricated and functioning somewhat. Had you taken your car to the dealer and had a proper transmission flush done, you would have seen the same, if not better results.

In my experience, that superthick lucas oil stuff (I have used it before, not in my max though) will solve your problems for only a short time. You see, that stuff is super thick and sticky. Alot of guys use it as assembly lube for new engine bearings and such. This will stress out your already high milage and somewhat ailing trans. The pumps and clutches were not designed for such high viscosity. The thickened fluid increases pressure and in turn heat throughout the pump and hydraulic passages, and it won't be long until the added pressure and heat take their toll. I would have it machine flushed, filled with redline fluid, and see where it stands. If it starts getting ****ty again, put the lucas in it (after draining the appropriate amount of regular fluid of course) and get rid of the beast, or persue a new tranny.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: werd.....

Originally posted by male

I second that..REDLINE works wonders, even on a 5spd with worn synchros!
Yes they are the S**t. There waterwetter is great also there synthetic gear oils make shifting so smooth. . .