3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

wow.. flushed ATF...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 11:20 AM

wow.. flushed ATF...

OMG... yay feels great! if your having small tranny slipage or its just has a lot of miles on it. flush your tranny fluid out!!!

its ezer then changing engine oil..

i put in 2 quorts or B&M ATF and 1 and a half valvoline dexronIII
-there was sooo much crap on the magnet
Old 10-05-2002, 12:03 PM

how do you do it?? I wanna do that to mine so bad SOOO Very bad
Old 10-05-2002, 12:07 PM

Before this thread turns into how to ghetto flush your transmission, I think it's best to let people who're interested in knowing that to PROPERLY flush your transmission you must take it to a shop where they will hook it up to a machine and DO IT PROPERLY. This isn't engine oil where you let the old oil drain out and fill up with new oil. Some people do it right the first time and some people just waste money then in the end have to spend more money to do it right.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh
Before this thread turns into how to ghetto flush your transmission, I think it's best to let people who're interested in knowing that to PROPERLY flush your transmission you must take it to a shop where they will hook it up to a machine and DO IT PROPERLY. This isn't engine oil where you let the old oil drain out and fill up with new oil. Some people do it right the first time and some people just waste money then in the end have to spend more money to do it right.
Yeah, what he said.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:44 PM

BAH!!! X 2
yeah.... I thought so but was hoping not so
Old 10-06-2002, 05:50 PM

I work at a quick lube center and we do transmission flushes(T-Techs). They replace about 97% of the fluid. Trust me, get it done at a quick lube place, it's cheaper, faster, and no dealerships!
Old 10-06-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by 92vemaxse
I work at a quick lube center and we do transmission flushes(T-Techs). They replace about 97% of the fluid. Trust me, get it done at a quick lube place, it's cheaper, faster, and no dealerships!
Cheaper? Around here it costs like $65, on sale. How is that cheaper? And how do you mess this job up? The biggest concern I can think about is emptying the overflow resivoir.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by 93maxVG

Cheaper? Around here it costs like $65, on sale. How is that cheaper? And how do you mess this job up? The biggest concern I can think about is emptying the overflow resivoir.
I mean cheaper at a quick lube place than at the dealership. And what about messing up the job?? Also, there is no such thing as a overflow for a tranny.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:47 PM

I mean cheaper at a quick lube place than at the dealership. And what about messing up the job?? Also, there is no such thing as a overflow for a tranny.
Ok, my bad, but you know what im talking about. The fill bay thingy
Old 10-06-2002, 07:02 PM

Ok, my bad, but you know what im talking about. The fill bay thingy
No, I don't know what you're talking about. What is a fill bay thingy??
Old 10-06-2002, 07:13 PM

No, I don't know what you're talking about. What is a fill bay thingy??
All right dude. Settle Down. I made a mistake, I was thinking about the coolant, not the ATF. My bad. Sorry. Chill.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:38 PM

I write nonsense.

Even if this thread was about flushing the radiator, you just showed you don't know about radiator flushes either.

Old 10-06-2002, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, look, im cool

I can do it to.
SORRY.....I MADE A MISTAKE, I WAS THINKING ABOUT CHANGING COOLANT, NOT TRANSMISSION FLUID. NO NEED TO HATE. Im not perfect, I make mistakes, im a bad person. My dad hates me.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:12 PM

AAAAAAA my brain hurts

coolant makes a great ATF, and its a good mixer.

- i dont care, my tranny feels good,(better then last time anyways)
-i got more tranny flud out by un cliping the tranny lines going to the radiator.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:19 PM

F' that I'm going to change my oil
nah I'm really gonna have to change my ATF... that's if slipping is what I think it is.

(slipping = a jerk in gear change or something?)
Old 10-06-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: AAAAAAA my brain hurts

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
coolant makes a great ATF, and its a good mixer.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:44 PM

slipping....

Originally posted by Aphrodisiac
F' that I'm going to change my oil
nah I'm really gonna have to change my ATF... that's if slipping is what I think it is.

(slipping = a jerk in gear change or something?)
im not even 100% sure what slipping is but this is what I think it is... when your tranny does not go into a great properly..bad trottle feel, or maybe it just does not even go into the gear at all...i get that going from 2nd to 3rd on a cold start up...
Old 10-07-2002, 05:08 PM

Re: slipping....

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer

im not even 100% sure what slipping is but this is what I think it is... when your tranny does not go into a great properly..bad trottle feel, or maybe it just does not even go into the gear at all...i get that going from 2nd to 3rd on a cold start up...
you car starts up in 2 gear???? tranny slip is when it's up/down shifting and takes a while to engage.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:43 PM

Conflicting stories

I've been searching and reading all sorts of stuff all day, about changing my ATF and I've come up with some conflicting stories here. I have a 93 GXE with 116k+ miles on it. I definately have some slipping going on and it scares me 'cause I really don't want to get it rebuilt or buy a new tranny. I have no clue when the last time the ATF has been changed and I'm really interested (now that I know about it's importance) in changing it. Now, I have a haynes manual and I have the whole procedure down to drain the tranny, refill, then run, and repeat 3-5 times. Where my problem comes in is what different people say to do. I've heard that replacing old ATF (at least 50-70K+ miles) is a BIG NO NO because the tranny is used to the metal chip filled fluid and replacing it will trash it. Then I've also heard that, the last sentance is a load of crap and that replacing the fluid is better for it. Could anybody give me some insight on this matter?
Old 10-22-2002, 02:35 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Conflicting stories

Originally posted by SnowMax3
I've been searching and reading all sorts of stuff all day, about changing my ATF and I've come up with some conflicting stories here. I have a 93 GXE with 116k+ miles on it. I definately have some slipping going on and it scares me 'cause I really don't want to get it rebuilt or buy a new tranny. I have no clue when the last time the ATF has been changed and I'm really interested (now that I know about it's importance) in changing it. Now, I have a haynes manual and I have the whole procedure down to drain the tranny, refill, then run, and repeat 3-5 times. Where my problem comes in is what different people say to do. I've heard that replacing old ATF (at least 50-70K+ miles) is a BIG NO NO because the tranny is used to the metal chip filled fluid and replacing it will trash it. Then I've also heard that, the last sentance is a load of crap and that replacing the fluid is better for it. Could anybody give me some insight on this matter?
"...the last sentance is a load of crap..." Whoever da flock said NOT changing the tranny fluid is good, probably needs to move the Y-bong away from the monitor, read some auto manuals, or better yet, take a class at their local community college, dude!!
Old 10-22-2002, 09:22 PM

Re: Conflicting stories

Originally posted by SnowMax3
It is definitely NEVER good to not change any type of lubricating fluid in your car on a regular basis. I personally have a 5-spd and the manual makes no mention of replacing the fluid in the maintenance requirements. It simply says inspect it or replace if you drive thru deep water. I replace it every 30K.

My wife drives a '00 Altima SE with an auto and I do drain and refills using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF every 20K to make sure it lasts a long time.

Your tranny fluid (autos) should be bright red and not have any burnt smell to it. Pull the dipstick. If it has a burnt smell to it your tranny is "knock knock knockin' on heaven's door". Change the fluid right away. At this point the service at an oil change place with the "97% replacement" is your best shot at stretching out the life of your tranny.

Remember ATF is OIL just like in your motor. It has the same thermal breakdown problems. It should be changed at a regular interval.

Those new cars that claim 100K miles and no need to change the ATF scare me. That sounds like a death sentence for an auto tranny to me.