3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Broke window, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 07:30 PM

Broke window, what to do?

Had the maxima out today and it started to rain, pouring really bad and the window regulator on my passenger front window is messed up so I couldn't get the window up, but couldn't grip it either with my hands cause it was so slippery

so I made a really stupid move and decided to use some pliers to pull it up, which was working fine until they slipped, smacked the window with all the force I was using to pull it up and the whole thing just shattered into a million different pieces. yeah, I'm f'ing stupid, anyways how should I go about fixing this?

I found a part called front right door glass on car-part.com which I would assume is what I want, it goes for around $75 in my area and tested motors and regulators are $55 or so (might as well kill two birds with one stone). So that makes about $130-$150 we'll say, plus time. Is this a job that two people could do in a weekend or do you need any special equipment or tons of experience to do it right? Or is it something better off done in a shop? if so, what kind of price range am I looking at?

gah I feel so dumb, someone feel free to flame away and use that icon with the hammer or whatever
Old 10-11-2002, 07:44 PM

So just to get this right...

All you need to do is replace the regulator and the window?

You could do that in an evening. Not hard at all.

One thing on the glass though, make sure you get the proper tint. There's 2 different factory tints on 3rd gens....blue and bronze. So you might wanna check on that. It looks horrible when you get one blue window on there and realize the rest are bronze. Doh! I know from experience. lol

Also, you can buy BRAND NEW regulators for the price of those 'tested' ones. You can probably get glass cheaper at a junkyard too. I got it for like 30 bucks.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by James12345
So just to get this right...

All you need to do is replace the regulator and the window?

You could do that in an evening. Not hard at all.

One thing on the glass though, make sure you get the proper tint. There's 2 different factory tints on 3rd gens....blue and bronze. So you might wanna check on that. It looks horrible when you get one blue window on there and realize the rest are bronze. Doh! I know from experience. lol

Also, you can buy BRAND NEW regulators for the price of those 'tested' ones. You can probably get glass cheaper at a junkyard too. I got it for like 30 bucks.
thanks a lot man, at least one advantage of driving a car almost as old as me is the cheap parts

is the blue/bronze tint specific to years or GXE/SE models?

I'll have to call some junkyards and parts places in philly tomorrow... it's a relief to know this isn't going to cost me a ton, and my dad and brother won't be able to bust on me as much
Old 10-12-2002, 01:12 PM

i think they all came with bronze if im not mistaken, blue is cheaper than bronze, when i replaced my windshield they put in blue, because i was cheap, but you cant really tell any difference with the rest of the windows because theyre not next to each other. but when my car got broken into and they knocked out the back passenger window i told them i wanted bronze, to match the other windows nest to it. but they accidently put in blue. it looked weird because it contrasted so much with the other windows. i was ****ed, so i told them i wanted them to take that one out and put in bronze. they did and i got it for free. so im not complaining. so basically what my advice is, if you have broze already in the car, spend the extra money to get bronze.