3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Undiscussed door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 06:04 AM

Undiscussed door lock issue

I've searched on this subject a lot, and have been unable to diagnosis my problem. Maybe someone can shed some light on this problem. The first problem is that I used to be able to lock all the doors from the drivers side with key or by pushing the drivers side door lock down. Now all that happens is that the drivers side door locks, not the other 3 doors like it used to. However, the keypad still locks all 4. The more important and annoying question is that the passanger side door constantly clicks, like it is trying to unlock itself. When you manually push only the passenger side door lock down it will unlock itself on its own. However when all the door locks are locked with the drivers keypad and the alarm is set it stays locked. Since my car is an 89, then it doesn't have a door lock timer, which is the only thing that I figured it could be. So I do not know what to do. Hope someone else can help. Sorry for the length.
Thanks
Chris
Old 10-29-2002, 06:45 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I thought ALL 89-94 Max's had a door timer. Cause I would've thought the same thing you said, hearing that.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:14 AM

After researching, I found that 89's don't have the door lock timer. So I really don't know what they have.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:16 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I'd say ask Craig. He's probably forgotten more about that kinda stuff than you or I know.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nubiannupe
I'd say ask Craig. He's probably forgotten more about that kinda stuff than you or I know.
only the later 3rd gens had a door lock timer (92-94 I think) so his 89 wont have one like he said

do the locks work normally with the power lock and unlock on the drivers side controls? the only thing I can really think of is that maybe that controller is going bad, maybe try a different one from a junkyard
other than that, I'm not really sure
Old 10-29-2002, 01:18 PM

The door locks otherwise operate as usual. Where would the door lock controller be located? In the drivers door or in the passengers door. The clicking is coming from the passenger side door.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CMD89
The door locks otherwise operate as usual. Where would the door lock controller be located? In the drivers door or in the passengers door. The clicking is coming from the passenger side door.
the controller I was referring to was the main drivers side set of switches in the door

but if the other parts seem to be working normally, then I'm not sure
Old 10-30-2002, 07:37 AM

If the drivers side door master controller was faulty then wouldn't all the doors be clicking and trying to unlock themselves? Since there is not a switch to unlock each door individualy. Wouldn't it have to be something faulty in the passenger side door lock? I'm out of ideas.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:01 AM
STFU n00b!

they started putting the timers in the cars about 90 or 91.. do the early (89-90) GXEs have the keypads on the door? I wonder if that's something that came when they did the keyless entry on the Max?

Anyway, it's not exactly a 92-94 thing as I've seen 91s with them also.. weird.

as for the problem, I can't offer any help there, sorry.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:40 AM

I appreciate the help. My 89 GXE does have the keypad on the driver and passenger side doors. However they only work when they want too; but thats another issue. Maybe I'll take the passengers door panel off this weekend and clean all the connections. And see what I see behind the door panel.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:44 PM

There is a magnetic switch on both front door handles (on the outside handle, but inside the door shell). I'm not sure if the rear doors have them as well. This magnetic switch is the lock switch. Over time the magnet pickup surface becomes dirty and covered with filth. You need to clean these switchs. You might also need to replace them (which, unfortunately, requires replacing the outside door handle). Thankfully these handles aren't that expensive. The cleaning procedure isn't that hard, just get some rubbing alcohol or everclear or 151 on a cotton swab and go to work. It's just a ***** to have to remove the door panel and all that jazz.

Ideally, you'd do a circuit diagnostic on the switches, etc etc. But since you don't have a service manual (I'm assuming this or else you would have answered your own question), I'd just jump right to the magnets.

Good luck.

-Kaleb

Originally posted by CMD89
I appreciate the help. My 89 GXE does have the keypad on the driver and passenger side doors. However they only work when they want too; but thats another issue. Maybe I'll take the passengers door panel off this weekend and clean all the connections. And see what I see behind the door panel.