3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Grounding VTCs actually engages the sprokets

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:38 PM

Grounding VTCs actually engages the sprokets

I meant to scan the pages from the FSM, to help educate people about there VTCs, I hope to do it soon.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure my VTCs were getting a good positive signal from the computer at idle. I then saw that they werent even engaged at idle. The FSM then confirmed this. Then I thought Duh, grounding the vtc wire then ENGAGES the VTCs, because the vtcs always get a positive signal from the ECU and when the ecu turns them on by grounding them (to complete the circuit).

So when 'properly' grounding your vtcs, you are turning them ON, this is why so many people reported the loss of top end power, Because the vtcs can no longer TURN OFF like they normally would at high rpm, where we get our second torque peak. So the intake cam shaft always stays in the advanced position.

Well I said 'properly' grounding them, b/c if you ground the other wire, you wont be completing the circuit, and the tick tick will still continue b/c the vtc sprokets did'nt engage. And just to add if you do ground the wrong wire, it will create a dead short through the output transistor in the ECU and possibly blow that output transistor.

So I now think that that grouding the vtcs is'nt bad for the engine (or more importantly the ECU, so long as the correct wire is used). And the fact that they dont disengage on the high end would be the only major draw back.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:47 PM

That's why I use a toggle switch.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by max raven
That's why I use a toggle switch.
I wounder if that would help us at the track, even for someone with perfectly working vtcs. If our launch already had the vtcs in the advanced position. But then we would have to quickly turn the switch off (by about 2-3k rpm), so that the ecu could be in control again.

Using a switch is a good idea, so long as the tick goes away after the engine warms up.