3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

100$ for Y-Pipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 01:46 PM

Is this a rip off?

How hard would it be to do it myself, my uncle would help me and he's done most things to his own car.
Old 12-26-2000, 01:51 PM
STFU n00b!

sheeit, it's almost as easy as changing a tire!

remove the heat shield on the front flange of the y pipe.. takes a 10mm socket on a small ratchet

now get under the car and remove all the flange bolts on the manifolds.. there's 3 on each side.. leave 1 nut on there jsut a couple threads, to hold the pipe in place as you take everything else apart.
completely remove the mount on the bottom of the engine, and place with your OEM pipe.. you don't need it on the new one.
it's also a 14mm socket.. be sure to put the nuts back on the tranny case when you're done.

get a 17mm wrench and deep socket, and head back to the Cat.. remove those 2 bolts..

remove the O2 sensor..
now unscrew the last nut on your exhaust manifold and slide the old pipe out..

install new pipe in reverse order of old, with the exception that the heat shield and bottom mount bracket are gone.
Old 12-26-2000, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
sheeit, it's almost as easy as changing a tire!

remove the heat shield on the front flange of the y pipe.. takes a 10mm socket on a small ratchet

now get under the car and remove all the flange bolts on the manifolds.. there's 3 on each side.. leave 1 nut on there jsut a couple threads, to hold the pipe in place as you take everything else apart.
completely remove the mount on the bottom of the engine, and place with your OEM pipe.. you don't need it on the new one.
it's also a 14mm socket.. be sure to put the nuts back on the tranny case when you're done.

get a 17mm wrench and deep socket, and head back to the Cat.. remove those 2 bolts..

remove the O2 sensor..
now unscrew the last nut on your exhaust manifold and slide the old pipe out..

install new pipe in reverse order of old, with the exception that the heat shield and bottom mount bracket are gone.
haha, okay thanks!

my uncle wawnted me to ask, where's the best jack up points for the maxima? he jacked up his stang on the rear axel, but he wanst sure if it'd work for the max.

also, are the heat shield and bottom mount bracket gone for good? should I keep them for later use?
Old 12-26-2000, 02:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

Back: Use the front suspension pick-ups right in front of the rear tires or use the tow hooks in the very rear.

Front. Use the two hooks for the jack stands.

May not be the best points but it's what I usually use. It's not hard to install. If the bolts are rusted, it's a pain though. Make sure to soak all threads(especially the front cat bolts!) and let them sit for 20 min or so.

Or I can do it for 1/2 that
Old 12-26-2000, 04:26 PM

Y-pipe install

Matt and Jeff are correct, it's not that hard. Dallas and I also reccomend that you use antiseize on the 02 sensor. Matt can attest to these problems. 02 sensors have been a real pain in the *** for Dallas and I on more than several occasions. If you live near NW Arkansas, our man will install (labor only) a complete WarpSpeed system for $60. That includes y-pipe, Cat and b-pipe and muffler. Dan WarpSpeedPerformance

[Edited by Dan 93 SE on 12-26-2000 at 07:54 PM]
Old 12-26-2000, 07:15 PM
STFU n00b!

Sheesh.. that's cheap!

Hey dan.. any ideas on when you want to get together to play here in Tulsa?
Old 12-26-2000, 07:32 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

that's the hardest part matt!!

Originally posted by Matt93GXE

Old 12-26-2000, 09:32 PM

Playing with WarpSpeed y-pipes

Matt, I talked to Dallas tonight. It sounds like we will be sending our 4th Gen pipe to the Guy that lives in Oklahoma City, and having him drive the car with the pipe on it for a week or so, then Dyno it. Dallas was going to check on compatible dates for you, the 4th gen guy and the dyno shop and himself. I would e-mail him if you need more specifics. Dallas will be coming to Minnesota next week to do more prototyping of Maxima stuff==Our CAI for the VG and VE, with the VQ not far behind + alot of Jeep stuff. Thanks again to you and Kaleb for your gracious hospitality in Texas. Dan
Old 12-26-2000, 09:59 PM
STFU n00b!

Great stuff!
Bill said he can do things pretty much whenever is needed, and I can too.. I start school on Jab 8th. (It WAS 18th, but our <B><I>wonderful</font></font> school President changed that for us just last week)..
soo, I dunno on that one.. Just have Dallas email me and let me know when he's ready and we'll figure something out.

Hehehe, there's no Hospitality like Bone Daddy's, huh?