3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just Ordered My New Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 08:06 PM

Just Ordered My New Exhaust System

Just ordered my new exhuast set-up. Now I am running ghetto custom straight pipe set-up with stock muffler. I hate it and it sounds horrible. I ordered the SS TIG y-pipe and carsound cat from Warpspeed Performance and I also ordered the Greddy Exhaust, I went all out. I can't wait to get everything, warpspeed is going to take long. If anybody thinks I shouldn't get this please reply with a reason. I'll record the before and after and post for you guys to listen, but I can't wait to get it
Old 11-03-2002, 08:15 PM
STFU n00b!

why not get the full WSP kit? it's a lot cheaper than the GReedy.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Yeah I know, but I was able to hear the Greddy in person, N34JZ has it and I just fell in love with it. It doesn't make noise at all almost, it makes the right noise that I like. Thanks for the suggestion Matt
Old 11-04-2002, 12:06 AM

Re: Just Ordered My New Exhaust System

Originally posted by D-sta
Just ordered my new exhuast set-up. Now I am running ghetto custom straight pipe set-up with stock muffler. I hate it and it sounds horrible. I ordered the SS TIG y-pipe and carsound cat from Warpspeed Performance and I also ordered the Greddy Exhaust, I went all out. I can't wait to get everything, warpspeed is going to take long. If anybody thinks I shouldn't get this please reply with a reason. I'll record the before and after and post for you guys to listen, but I can't wait to get it
how much did this set u back? i am in need of a full exhaust. **** runs stronger with my flex pipe leak.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:46 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

hey good work, cant wait to hear how the first portion sounds with the greddy so I know what to expec when I get my Y and cat, Mabey I should order my Y pipe now lso I can get it when I need it lol
Old 11-04-2002, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Old 11-04-2002, 06:31 AM

In total this came out to $900.00 shipped for everything. I don't know what the WSP exhaust sounds like, but I do know how the Greddy does, plus I like the way it looks. I'm not saying money is not a factor, I believe this is a lot really but I think worth it. Plus I'm going to do the install my myself at my friends shop where I just have to give him something for the use of his lift. So at least I won't have to pay installation and waste more money. Thanks for your suggestions guys.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:23 AM
Large Member

I highly suggest you change your order to the MIG welded stuff. Dallas told me everyone is ordering TIG, so there's a large backorder. I've been waiting 13 weeks and emailed him last sunday to find this out. Long story short, changed the order to mig welded and the stuff was supposedly sent out last Tuesday (should get it in a few days hopefully). Just a suggestion. You wouldn't want to wait 13 weeks like I have! BTW, I paid about $600 total for the following:

WSP ss MIG y-pipe
carsound cat 2.5"
SS b-pipe w/ resonator 2.25"(I will get a non resonated if this is way too quiet)
Borla turbo muffler 2.25"
WSP cai powder coated black

Around $600 for a full SS exhaust (well almost completely SS anyways) and CAI is pretty damn good IMO.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Shadow1198
I highly suggest you change your order to the MIG welded stuff. Dallas told me everyone is ordering TIG, so there's a large backorder. I've been waiting 13 weeks and emailed him last sunday to find this out. Long story short, changed the order to mig welded and the stuff was supposedly sent out last Tuesday (should get it in a few days hopefully). Just a suggestion. You wouldn't want to wait 13 weeks like I have! BTW, I paid about $600 total for the following:

WSP ss MIG y-pipe
carsound cat 2.5"
SS b-pipe w/ resonator 2.25"(I will get a non resonated if this is way too quiet)
Borla turbo muffler 2.25"
WSP cai powder coated black

Around $600 for a full SS exhaust (well almost completely SS anyways) and CAI is pretty damn good IMO.
That's a great price and I will inquire about the changing of the welding type so I don't have to wait 13 weeks for this stuff, my Greddy is going to rot away, lol. Yeah I know that I won't be getting it anytime soon, that's why I planned to be getting this stuff installed around Janaury. I know Greddy is a lot of money but I think worth it, I just like the way it sounds. Thanks for looking out but I'm still going with the Greddy, actually it was shipped out already. I have no rush about the y-pipe and cat, I also heard TIG is better than MIG, I guess that's what the wait is about.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:22 AM

That's a great price and I will inquire about the changing of the welding type so I don't have to wait 13 weeks for this stuff, my Greddy is going to rot away, lol. Yeah I know that I won't be getting it anytime soon, that's why I planned to be getting this stuff installed around Janaury. I know Greddy is a lot of money but I think worth it, I just like the way it sounds. Thanks for looking out but I'm still going with the Greddy, actually it was shipped out already. I have no rush about the y-pipe and cat, I also heard TIG is better than MIG, I guess that's what the wait is about.

TIG=Tungsten Inert Gas welding. It has a tungsten anode and uses consumable sticks of whatever material you are welding. It is the most precise kind of fusion welding, but I don't really see a need for it on exhaust systems. If the MIG (metal inert gas) is done right with enough shielding gas, it should hold up well. TIG is good for welding Aluminum, tube chasis and suspensions, and where appearance is really important.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:19 PM

Re: Just Ordered My New Exhaust System

Sweet. Exact same setup as me. I did all mine at the same time too

I've had mine for about a year now and I even originally ordered the TIG. I was told that it'd take them months to get me a TIG and I got tired of waiting and did MIG S/S. The MIG is perfectly fine. If it's gonna take them a while just go with the MIG. The TIG just isnt worth the extra money and months of waiting. You may be wanting the TIG S/S for good looks or something and if that's the case dont waste the money on the TIG. Their S/S isnt the nicest anyway and has metal stampings and writing (black printed stuff) all over it. Mine also turned brown after a month. Might as well just go with MIG.

Also are you sure your GReddy got shipped out? When I ordered mine I was told most places in America didnt stock them anymore and they'd all start coming straight from Japan with like a 4 month backorder. Luckily Greg at CustomMaxima had one in stock.

WSP cat-back may be cheaper, but I gaurandamtee it wont be as nice or good looking as the GReddy (no knock on WSP). That thing was so nice I almost didnt wanna put it on my car. lol Also cant beat that sound. And in true ricer fashion, I just like the idea of sporting GReddy. If I had to do it all over I would certainly shell out the $550 again for it.

Now all you need is CAI.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:16 PM

Re: Re: Just Ordered My New Exhaust System

I changed my order to MIG welding and she told me that the process would be much faster and that I would get it sooner.

My sales rep at Stillen told me he had them in stock and that tomorrow he would provide me with a tracking number.

I wanted to go through Greg at custom maxima and for one thing I wanted to pick it up and he told me he wouldn't let me pick it up and that he couldn't do that and the cheapest price would be $565.00 so I said forget it and went with Stillen known to be a more expensive company and they had no problem giving it to me for $550.00 shipped.

I have a Stillen Hi-Flow Intake, isn't that good enough for now or should I get the CAI eventaully and get rid of the Stillen intake. Why?
Old 11-04-2002, 03:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just Ordered My New Exhaust System

That's weird that Greg wouldnt let you pick it up. Wonder why?

From my personal experience of having both CAI and Pop, the CAI is by far better all around. Up high and down low. I actually felt more from my CAI than I did from my Y-pipe. No joke.

I also dont buy the idea floating around Max.org about CAI hurting high end. 1) I know from my own personal butt-dyno that it actually improves high end and 2) I've also never seen/heard anything about negative effects from a CAI on high end performance from any other enthusiast community. It's kind of absurd in my mind that only Maxima owners seem to have this idea.

That's just my $.02.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just Ordered My New Exhaust System

Originally posted by James12345
That's weird that Greg wouldnt let you pick it up. Wonder why?

From my personal experience of having both CAI and Pop, the CAI is by far better all around. Up high and down low. I actually felt more from my CAI than I did from my Y-pipe. No joke.

I also dont buy the idea floating around Max.org about CAI hurting high end. 1) I know from my own personal butt-dyno that it actually improves high end and 2) I've also never seen/heard anything about negative effects from a CAI on high end performance from any other enthusiast community. It's kind of absurd in my mind that only Maxima owners seem to have this idea.

That's just my $.02.
Thanks for the response I will keep the CAI in mind
Old 11-04-2002, 07:23 PM

Hey Shadow

Thanks for the response I will keep the CAI in mind

Dude whe nu get that exhaust setup you have to post some sound files for us man. Thats the exact setup im lookin into gettin and id loved to hear how it sounds. The borla trubo muffler wit y pipe and high flow cat should sound awesome!
Old 11-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Large Member

Sure thing. I already had planned to make some mp3's and vids of inside/outside with the stock exhaust, straight exhaust manifold , and the full WSP w/ Borla. Damn, I just hope someone can host all this because it will add up. It's probably going to take me 2-3 weeks once I get my exhaust (hopefully the next few days).