3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A little run in with a NJ State Police

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 05:17 AM

A little run in with a NJ State Police

So I' cruising down the NJ turnpike yesterday morning, Radar Detector up, 110mph in my girl's 97 Prelude, some riced out prelude and older style supra are racing around me, trying to get me in the mix, but I just stay right on cruising, slow down to 90, a few min later I pass a hidden trooper..but my detector didn't go off. Uh oh, he's pulling out **CK!!. Detector was never turned on..DOH! SO I slow down, he follows me for a min and over we go. "Are you aware how fast you were going?"
"Honestly office I was moving along and lost track of my speed" OK so he comes back to the car after afew min and informs me of the multitude of fines (carelss driving, speeding so many mhp over the 65 limit, doubled fines and points in the 65 zone. Basically I was screwed raw dog no KY. Like 10 points and 700-800 $$ in fines. I about ##it. Then he says he paced me at an average of 79 prior to pulling me over. He gave me a fine for what he said was 79mph (but the ticket actually says 77!),like an 88 dollar fine, 2 point on the record, suggested I be more attentive to my speed and sent me on my way. So I thought I'd share this with you all, a fairly positive experience with a NJ state trooper. Thanks Officer!
Old 11-04-2002, 05:24 AM

Re: A little run in with a NJ State Police

Originally posted by male
So I' cruising down the NJ turnpike yesterday morning, Radar Detector up, 110mph in my girl's 97 Prelude, some riced out prelude and older style supra are racing around me, trying to get me in the mix, but I just stay right on cruising, slow down to 90, a few min later I pass a hidden trooper..but my detector didn't go off. Uh oh, he's pulling out **CK!!. Detector was never turned on..DOH! SO I slow down, he follows me for a min and over we go. "Are you aware how fast you were going?"
"Honestly office I was moving along and lost track of my speed" OK so he comes back to the car after afew min and informs me of the multitude of fines (carelss driving, speeding so many mhp over the 65 limit, doubled fines and points in the 65 zone. Basically I was screwed raw dog no KY. Like 10 points and 700-800 $$ in fines. I about ##it. Then he says he paced me at an average of 79 prior to pulling me over. He gave me a fine for what he said was 79mph (but the ticket actually says 77!),like an 88 dollar fine, 2 point on the record, suggested I be more attentive to my speed and sent me on my way. So I thought I'd share this with you all, a fairly positive experience with a NJ state trooper. Thanks Officer!
And what of the ricers in the other prelude and the supra??

Hey, at least it you're not in jail. The first speeding ticket I got was for 142 mph in a 55 and they took my straight to jail.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:48 AM

Re: Re: A little run in with a NJ State Police

Originally posted by nismo1989

And what of the ricers in the other prelude and the supra??

Hey, at least it you're not in jail. The first speeding ticket I got was for 142 mph in a 55 and they took my straight to jail.
No sign of the ricers (The guy in the other 'lude was a dip****..he gets in front of me, tachs the hell out of it and trys pulling away. Definately just a fart can on a stocker. I hear this terrible puttering popping sound and whatch black smoke puff out as he bouces off the rev limiter ALOT! I was a little peeved that they got past him and I didn't, but it's all luck of the draw at that point. I could have been jailed for this offense, but the trooper was totally firm but fair and not an arrogant *** like so many law enforcement officials I have encountered. HOLY - - - -! 142 in an 55, you gotta still be feeling that one! How long do they hold you on something like that?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: A little run in with a NJ State Police

No sign of the ricers (The guy in the other 'lude was a dip****..he gets in front of me, tachs the hell out of it and trys pulling away. Definately just a fart can on a stocker. I hear this terrible puttering popping sound and whatch black smoke puff out as he bouces off the rev limiter ALOT! I was a little peeved that they got past him and I didn't, but it's all luck of the draw at that point. I could have been jailed for this offense, but the trooper was totally firm but fair and not an arrogant *** like so many law enforcement officials I have encountered. HOLY - - - -! 142 in an 55, you gotta still be feeling that one! How long do they hold you on something like that?
I was in there for 5 days waiting for bail. It happened in April of 2001, and I just finished probation and everything last Thursday. Several thousands of dollars. They made an example out of me. It was right after that Fast and Furious movie so they were all over it, ya know. They tore my Maxima apart, too. I guess they were looking for dvd players??? ...
Old 11-04-2002, 08:15 AM

NYC licence!!!!!!!!!

if you have a NYC licence, and you get an out of state moving violation, all you do is pay the fine... nmo points are takin on your licence...! just my 2 cents.. i get soo many tickets in NJ ..lol
Old 11-04-2002, 08:19 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: NYC licence!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
if you have a NYC licence, and you get an out of state moving violation, all you do is pay the fine... nmo points are takin on your licence...! just my 2 cents.. i get soo many tickets in NJ ..lol
yeah and how many times i had to tell u that before you calmed your **** down when YOU got a ticket in NJ.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:48 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: NYC licence!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
he's located in NJ...ALL fines are double in a 65mph zone and the points are insane. Seriously take an attorney to court with you...
Old 11-04-2002, 10:14 AM

I'm considering fighting the 77mph violation anyway..or is that pushing it? If the officer did show up, could he pull the actual violations out on me in front of the judge..then I'd be screwed. There is a show on NBC news tonight or tomorrow at 11pm about why everyone should fight that speeding violation. Maybe there will be some good tips in there. Or should I pay the $88 and take the 2 lousy points?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:30 AM

I'm considering fighting the 77mph violation anyway..or is that pushing it? If the officer did show up, could he pull the actual violations out on me in front of the judge..then I'd be screwed. There is a show on NBC news tonight or tomorrow at 11pm about why everyone should fight that speeding violation. Maybe there will be some good tips in there. Or should I pay the $88 and take the 2 lousy points?
I believe in the trial you're being found guilty/not guilty for that particular offense (going 77 in a 65). The cop could keep an eye out for you in the future and try to get back at you for challenging him even after he cut you a break though. I'd personally take the $88 and be happy but if you already have tons of points or something it might be worthwhile to challenge.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:36 AM

I'd say you've already very lucky to get away with the tickets that you have, and the cop has given you a big favor. I think fighting it in court would be pushing it. Now if the cop didn't give you the break...

Anyway, just take this as a lesson, and turn that radar detector on! Then you can safely drops back when it goes off, and send the two cars racing you right into the waiting arm of the trooper!
Old 11-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Agamemnon
I'd say you've already very lucky to get away with the tickets that you have, and the cop has given you a big favor. I think fighting it in court would be pushing it. Now if the cop didn't give you the break...

Anyway, just take this as a lesson, and turn that radar detector on! Then you can safely drops back when it goes off, and send the two cars racing you right into the waiting arm of the trooper!
Well legally there is no "break." The cop gave him a ticket and that's what his violation was. If he fights it the cop isn't going to say to the judge, "he was going faster but I cut him a break." Seriously grab yourself an attorney and seek legal advice on what to do. It may cost you but it will save you plenty of money in the end. What Town was the ticket in?
Old 11-04-2002, 11:19 AM

It's really crazy 'cause I ALWAYS ride with the detector on. I remeber my girl turning it on, then it fell of the windshield (cold suction cups), so I put it back up, but I never turned it off. The power/ volume switch is a dial on the side. Click it on for power and roll it for volume. Know what I mean? How the hell did that get turned to the off position? Anyway, it has saved me a few times and considering the mercy the officer had on me I guess things worked out for the better.

I think about what influenced his decisions and figured on this. I saw him and slowed down even though he was hiding..so I was obviously alert and attentive to my surroundings. Not just some mindless driver going too fast for my own good. Plus, I pulled over at a safe spot, signaling of course. Put my hazards on (as if that mattered), took the keys out of the ignition and put my hands on the wheel until he came to the passenger window. Then I put the keys back in and lowered the window. Never fumbel around in your glovebox or pockets until the officer is standing right there looking at you. Keeps them at ease you know? I was respectful and answered him honestly. That on top of the relatively clean driving record is the only explanation I can come up with for why he had mercy on my sorry *ss! I'll happily send in my $88 bucks!
Old 11-04-2002, 11:31 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

That on top of the relatively clean driving record is the only explanation I can come up with for why he had mercy on my sorry *ss! I'll happily send in my $88 bucks!
ah...i reread the post. So you only got the one ticket. Just remember that if you send in the fine to pay it, you automatically plea guilty and the points will be added to your license. I still say roll in w/ an attorney. The 500 you spend on one is cheaper than the money you will pay in the long run on your insurance.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

Well legally there is no "break." The cop gave him a ticket and that's what his violation was. If he fights it the cop isn't going to say to the judge, "he was going faster but I cut him a break." Seriously grab yourself an attorney and seek legal advice on what to do. It may cost you but it will save you plenty of money in the end. What Town was the ticket in?
It was around exit 5 southbound on the NJ turnpike. I'll be calling an attorney today.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:28 PM

didnt he pace u? if he did wouldnt the detector be useless?
Old 11-06-2002, 12:26 AM

why have a detector if it's going to tell you that you have been clocked? That's the question that made me put mine in the trunk and risk the consequences...and what have they been so far? well for one a much safer driver. last time i got pulled over, the five oh told me he appreciated my slowing down for him and let me off with a verbal warning after i showed him pics of animals at the zoo we were coming from.....oh btw i was clocked at 93...speedometer said a lot more at that time. moral of the story:
1. five-ohs dont like to see a radar detector when they pull u over; just ****es em off..scramblers are more conspicuous and are a lot more fun
2. be nice and they'll b nice to you.
3. do the limit unless you really want to help officer joe buy his kid a new trike, in which case i dont mind. heck, i know i'll never lose my licence.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by 93max
didnt he pace u? if he did wouldnt the detector be useless?
Yes he paced me after he clocked me. He pulled out after getting my speed on radar, I slowed and that's when he paced me, just before he pulled me over. I had my girl put the radar detector in the door pocket.