3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

question about ailing starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 07:49 AM

Are there any serious consequences to not fixing my starter right away? It always complains on initial startup- always in the morning (since it's cold) but then starts right up on subsequent tries.

I'd fix it right now if there is potential for more serious problems later. Otherwise...I'll wait.

Old 12-27-2000, 08:20 AM
davis449

I don't know this for sure, but I bet that it's pretty har on your alternator and battery so i would get if fixed very soon. My starter went out on my '93 SE and I got it fixed right away.

Old 12-27-2000, 10:08 AM
STFU n00b!

is it just cranking over slow because of the cold or what?

if that's the case, then it's probably not your starter..
your battery itself will put out less current when it's cold, plus the engine is cold and the parts are "frozen together" so it's harder to turn.. the oil is thicker so the pump has to work harder, blah blah blah..

if it's simply cranking over slower in the mornings, then I wouldn't really worry about it.
once the car warms up, things are fine, which indicates to me that it's just the effects of the cold you're seeing.

let's hope so, anyway!

Old 12-27-2000, 12:32 PM

Im having the same problem, Im pretty sure its my starter, but I think its already been replaced once...Mine is fine once its warm..but then again, some really cold days it starts like a champ, when I turn the key, its just goes, rmrmrmrmrmrmrm, then I turn it off, and try again, and it usually always starts the second time. only 2x has it made that horrific noise, Im sure you know the noise, its like REEEEEEAAAAAAAHHH, Like a dying duck. What do I do? Or rather, where do I take it to get looked at, will they check it for free?
Old 12-27-2000, 12:54 PM
Foo90SE

Originally posted by MaximaBella
Im having the same problem, Im pretty sure its my starter, but I think its already been replaced once...Mine is fine once its warm..but then again, some really cold days it starts like a champ, when I turn the key, its just goes, rmrmrmrmrmrmrm, then I turn it off, and try again, and it usually always starts the second time. only 2x has it made that horrific noise, Im sure you know the noise, its like REEEEEEAAAAAAAHHH, Like a dying duck. What do I do? Or rather, where do I take it to get looked at, will they check it for free?
The REEEEEAHHHHH is the teeth on the starter not fully engaging into the flywheel...not good Hopefully its worn on the starter part and not the flywheel cuz the flywheel is a lot more expensive and harder to replace than the starter. but if its only done it once or twice its not too bad

Old 12-28-2000, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
is it just cranking over slow because of the cold or what?

if that's the case, then it's probably not your starter..
your battery itself will put out less current when it's cold, plus the engine is cold and the parts are "frozen together" so it's harder to turn.. the oil is thicker so ....

I'm pretty sure it's my starter. There's always plenty of juice from the battery.

Are starters expensive to replace or fix? I got burned not long ago on a brake job. I don't wanna get burned again.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2000, 07:51 AM

I don't know on a VE where the starter is
but if it's the same as a VG
There easy to replace DIY.
Just buy the starter, my guess would be around 60 bucks??
Then jack up the front of your car (may not even have to if you can squeeze under there) and remove all the bolts from the plastic guard under the engine, remove that, then on the right side of the engine (looking at it from the front) there will be the starter bolted kind of under/on the side of the engine. There's one bolt and one nut holding it, one stud being on the engine block.
Make sure the battery cable is unhooked and disconnect the wires off the starter and take it off.

But then again that's for a VG. I'll look in my book and see if it's very different from a VE. Or some1 else can explain.
Old 12-28-2000, 07:56 AM

Well it looks like only difference between VG and VE, is you will have to remove the Connector Brackets for the starter, and remove the air duct. But the air duct is i think doing it from up top, which i found it alot easier to get to from underneath.
-shrug-

hope this helps. if you decide to DIY
Old 12-28-2000, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Sith
Well it looks like only difference between VG and VE, is you will have to remove the Connector Brackets for the starter, and remove the air duct. But the air duct is i think doing it from up top, which i found it alot easier to get to from underneath.
-shrug-

hope this helps. if you decide to DIY
Great!! Thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2000, 08:07 AM

no problemo