3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is my transmission going out or could it possibly be something else???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 03:31 PM
HeavenlyOne

Hi!

I have a 1989 Nissan Maxima. Automatic transmission (overdrive).

I just bought it in June and soon after, I noticed that whenever I quickly tapped the brakes or took my foot off the accelerator, it would downshift twice, pretty hard. Sometimes it would drive perfectly for a few weeks, then it would act up.

In my mind, I was thinking "transmission....thousands of dollars".

Well, the last time I drove it was in October. I dropped my son off at school and when I was driving home, the gears slipped big time. I had to drive in the emergency lane (thank god I don't live far). I had to stomp on the accelerator a few times to get power to drive it.

Anyway, I am prety sure it is the transmission. But is there anything else it could be? I checked the transmission fluid, it was ok.

My car has a button near the gear shift that you can change from "power" or "comfort". It says in the book that its for the transmission.

Is there anything I should check before I take it in?

^i^

Old 12-27-2000, 03:36 PM
Foo90SE

*funeral music* trannie is dead
mine had similar symptoms when it died

Old 12-27-2000, 03:54 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sounds like a tranny...

Those are dying tranny symptoms you described there. I had horrible upshifting and had to really press on it at times to get the car into next gear, next thing that came is a dead tranny.
How much miles does your Maxima have? 3rd gen Maxima transmissions suck, most people have to get a tranny rebuilt by the time the car reaches 130k (ossuming its still on its original tranny). Some earlier, some later.. Mine died completely at just 86k.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:28 PM

LMFAO off at funeral music! Bring in the meat wagon, shes dead! My car did the same thing, pressing on the gas, nothing happened, late engagment, that was the start of the last week, then I lost my hi-gears, and she would only go 35mph. My tranny fluid also was relativley fine, brownish-red, supposed to be clear candy apple red, anything else is a sign of a prob! Now I know what tranny fluid is really posta look like! The more and more I read about our 3rd gen bad trannies, it becomes funny, altho 2500 bux is never funny, I get a satisfaction out of knowing 80% of us have gone thru the same thing! Its a max bond!
Heres my question, with all of our 3rd gen trannies failing, why the hell was there never a recall?????? WHY WHY WHY??
Old 12-27-2000, 08:32 PM
Foo90SE

If they were to recall em, ford would also have to recall ALL their transmissions cuz they're even worse

Old 12-27-2000, 08:40 PM

Ive head fords do... the manager of the place I got mine rebuilt at said they go all the time, and that he NEVER sees maxima..shhaaw riiiiight, where has he been the last 10 yrs?
How do you get a recall? Its on this specific model? Seems feasible to me???
Old 12-27-2000, 08:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

If I ran Nissan........

I wouldn't even consider a recall NOW!! it's 10 years later for some of our cars and if nissan was to replace these trannys they'd go broke since everyone and their mother would be up at the local dealer crying for a new one which by the way costs $4k+/- brand new!! also people who mistreat the tranny in the first place(burnouts, neutral drops, etc.) would be up in there every week asking for a replacement. its basically financially unreasonable!! they probably knew the trans box in the early 90's models was faulty, but since most don't feel the effects until 130k down the road, there is no warranty coverage then and unfortunately a lot goes on in 130K(which is the drivers fault), so they decided to let it slide!!!! but don't get me wrong, I hate having a POS tranny too, I've been through 3 rebuilds myself and hopefully with this last one(*knock on wood*) and a tranny cooler, there will be no more, that is unless Level 10 would like to donate their time to do StageII for me!!!
Old 12-27-2000, 08:51 PM

thats makes sense, thank you ;-)
So what about the 4th gen SE tranny? Any good? Im looking into getting one in the next year, Ive heard of tranny probs on 3, 4 & 5 gens! Whats your advice?
Old 12-27-2000, 09:01 PM

:(

mine didn't show any signs of slip or harsh shifting before it died. I was cruising down the highway with my dad and all of a sudden the car lost wouldn't accelerate. We pulled onto the shoulder and tried every gear: R D 2 1 nothing would work.

Old 12-27-2000, 09:20 PM
Foo90SE

Originally posted by MaximaBella
thats makes sense, thank you ;-)
So what about the 4th gen SE tranny? Any good? Im looking into getting one in the next year, Ive heard of tranny probs on 3, 4 & 5 gens! Whats your advice?
Advise-get a 5-speed then u wont have to worry about it
i kind of impulse-bought my auto and kind of wish i got a 5-speed, especially when this auto died
I do think the 4th gen autos are much better than the 3rd gen. Even the later model 3rd gens are better than mine and yours pre-92 3rd gens.

Old 12-28-2000, 06:56 AM
Saleen0402

slippage, slippage, slippage....I thought maybe it was something small like an electrical problem, but nope, it's a $2300 tranny....Goes in for replacement tomorrow. Anyone know if the 4th gen trans will fit the SOHC motor in the '94's?