3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fix'er Up Assistance (New Member)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 11:11 PM
Maximal

Fix'er Up Assistance (New Member)

Hey

I bought a Grey 90SE 5sp back in April and bought a 92 300ZX NAZ in May and spent the summer running around in the Z. Well I'm about to sell the Z and put my time into the Max.

I need some suggestions on a few items if I may ask:

The maxima runs very very well! The body however has many fine dents around the body like it has been through a hail storm or something. I bought it because it ran so well and I had a 93 GXE back in 95 that I bought at 28K mi and lasted to 100,000 mi with NOT A SINGLE problem before I let it go. So I wanted that kind of reliability again. At any rate time has taken a toll on this SE.

-I got her at 87K+ mi. The odometer no longer works. Stopped about a week or so after I got her.
-The power door locks/key hole sticks.
-I need a new deflector (on roof)
-I will be going for the timing belts and clutch changes soon also (Can some give me an approx cost for this?)
-Definitely gotta get that heater working to acceptable level...and some other minor tweaks the Max will need.

I will most definitely be looking into body work and repainting plus the rear stock wing needs to come off so i will probably need to replace the entire truck with either a oem w/wing wing or seperate aftermarket wing of similar make.

...so I am looking for a good, honest, reliable shop you all can vouch for in the area that I can take my Max to and have these items serviced by a company that values it good name on its customers at a fair price.

I live in MD, about 5 minutes from SE DC and about 10 minutes from Alexandria, VA (Woodrow Wilson Bride side).

She just needs some nurturing back to health. Althought she's got only 160 horses, man, she is a blast to drive.

TIA for all assistance!

Maximal

[Edited by Maximal on 12-29-2000 at 01:14 AM]

Old 12-29-2000, 11:26 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I live about a half hour from Bristol VA. Johnson City Tennessee has a shop that will do the Timing belt for around $300 parts and labor. He did mine, and he did it quick. He also did a thorough inspection of my car and made suggestions for repair. He's the cheapest I've seen, honest, and comes highly referred. Just a small, private shop at the end of a dead end street. Closer to Bristol, there is a tranny shop called A-1 Transmission between Bristol and Johnson City. He's the same way. I've sent people to him and he'll turn them away, that it's not a tranny problem and then recommend an electrical guy. He did that to my dad, it was a sensor problem and A-1 didn't charge my dad anything, just the electrician. I don't know where Alexandria Virginia is, it may be too far for you, but this is the closest I know of to you. As far as the deflector and odometer, just call around to local junk yards and someone will have them. Tri City Auto Parts Inc in Bristol (listed as Bluff City) has lots of 3rd gens, I had to get a new driver's seat and only they had it!