3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help, Max is Pulling To The Right

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 03:15 PM

Help, Max is Pulling To The Right

Ok, I finally installed my 97SE wheels today but when I took it out for a test spin, I noticed that it was pulling to the right. Not a violent pull but enough that if I take my hand of the wheel it starts to go.

The wheels came with Nitto tires (used) already mounted and balanced on the wheels. The tires look in good shape and I made sure that they are all at the same tire pressure. I know you should get an alignment when you get new tires but I figured that if these tires were already mounted/balanced that it wouldn't be an issue. Am I right or wrong? Any help/suggestions on this before I take it down to the shop?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

have the alignment checked and make sure they really are balanced...
Old 11-24-2002, 03:18 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the alignment was dead center with my stocks wheels so its not like it was a pre-existing condition.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you had your car aligned recently before you put on the new rims/tires then your alignment shouldn't be the problem. If the car the rims/tires came off of was out of align then the tires could have worn incorrectly and this can cause a pull. Try cross rotating the front tires (switch left to right) and if it pulls the other way the tires are to blame for your pull. If the pull is still there i'd go and have the alignment checked. You should have your alignment done every 6 months.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by FASHIZL
If you had your car aligned recently before you put on the new rims/tires then your alignment shouldn't be the problem. If the car the rims/tires came off of was out of align then the tires could have worn incorrectly and this can cause a pull. Try cross rotating the front tires (switch left to right) and if it pulls the other way the tires are to blame for your pull. If the pull is still there i'd go and have the alignment checked. You should have your alignment done every 6 months.
Good advice Fashizl because the Nittos are used and one of them does have more wear than the others according to the seller. I thought I found it though and mounted it on the rear. I didn't notice any unusual wear on the two I put up front but who knows. Unfortunately, the Nittos are directional tread so I have to keep them right/left unless I remount the tires. I'll double check the fronts for wear tomorrow and if that doesn't turn up anything, I'll take it in for an alignment. Thanks to you and Chris for the help.