3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Transmission or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 06:34 PM

Transmission or Something Else?

I have 1992 SE(Australian version)Automatic and I have done a search for my problem but could not find any specific threads correlating to my problem so I am posting this need for help.

Thanks guys for your patience

Anyway guys, went fishing two days ago with four others and a **** load of bags so the car was pretty heavy. Half way there we stopped to buy drinks and chips. When I started off again the transmission started to play up. Basically there seemed to be no second gear on the auto. From take off you can feel it pick up from first but when it changes to second it would just rev and there was no power and much acceleration at all. It just slips and felt like I was in neutral. So I had to lift off and on the gas to make it change to 3rd. Obviously the situation was made worse with all the people inside the car and also especially being a very winedy and hilling road to where we where going to go fishing.

I actually made it to the destination and for the record caught no fish in a time of bloody 5 hours.

Now on the way back home the tranny just got worse. Now it seemed like there was no first gear either. As I tried to manually drive the thing by putting into first. The car would just free rev? And in drive when goin up hill it would kick down to second, but there was no engagement and it just felt like I was in neutral? Slowly I actually made it home luckly.

Funny thing was the next day the car went back to normal. And I drove it to work. Then at lunch time I took it back to the mechanic where I had my tranny overhauled and it was still under warranty. But on the way to the mechanic it went bad again? And it was just slipping really bad, like free reviing and hardly any engagement. But just before I got to the mechanic the car went back to normal again!

So when the mechanic looked at it he could find out what the problem was and when he drove it a couple of times he actually said it was perfect. But he did speculate that there might be a electrical problem?

I also have a exhaust leak(you can hear it) and was thinking could this cause such a problem with the car or is it the O2 sensor, as it was a very hot day that day and maybe the car with the extra load went into safe mode?

Today the car is fine again. What is going on?

What do you think guys? Any comments is appreciated.

Thanks alot people
Old 12-02-2002, 06:55 PM

IMO, I'd find another mechanic. If he says there nothing wrong with the transmission, I think he's BSing you. The only possible explanation that I have would be something with the performance/comfort switch(if even applicable on Australian models.) I'd get a second opinion, but that's just me. Anyways, good luck.

Brian

PS I didn't mean to sound like a d!ck if I did!
Old 12-02-2002, 10:02 PM

Brian,

No worries, thanks for the advise
Old 12-03-2002, 12:22 AM

Throttle Position Sensor or (TPS).

basicly The sensor 'tells' the computer where the gas pedal is located several times every second. Is it all the way up, all the way down (floored) or some place in the middle.
if it goes bad then the computer cant tell and respond to the gas pedal. it stalls and some times sort of wobbles.
and it happens unexpectedly too, some times it works some times it doesnt.
check it out.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:56 PM

westsider101:

hmmmm...this sounds promisiing. I will check it out.

Thanks buddy

My car kind of slips when turning corners now, as when I step on the accelerator during cornering it downshifts and kind of slips and quickly shift back to drive?

Also when I slow down to say almost a stop and then step on the gas to go again, it will down shift harshly and kind of "jerk" back to D very quickly too?
Old 12-04-2002, 02:55 PM

Exhaust leak, etc

You mentioned you could hear an exhuast leak. Follow the exhaust plumbing from the manifolds all the way to the muffler looking for leaks. Concentrate on the manifold studs, and the flex pipe. Those are common problems with this engine.

It sounds to me like your torque converter, or tranny VB's are toast.

Take that mechanic on a test ride with your friends in the car and see if the tranny slips then.