3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some newbie questions regarding flexaning motor mounts....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Some newbie questions regarding flexaning motor mounts....

I have my 80A urethane and finally received my rear mount, so I am going to take out my new front mount I installed a week or two ago and flexane both mounts.

Some questions:

I'm using duct tape on one side of the mount to prevent leakage. When duct-taping, are there any issues with the tape "sticking" to the urethane after curing when you go to remove the tape? Also, I am planning on taping directly on the rubber portion of the mount to make it as leak-proof as possible.

I'm assuming the goal here is to fill the "spaces" in the rubber portion of the mount and not the outer portion of the rubber mount. Is this correct?

ADTHANKSVANCE!!!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:31 PM

Re: Some newbie questions regarding flexaning motor mounts....

Originally posted by bill99gxe
I have my 80A urethane and finally received my rear mount, so I am going to take out my new front mount I installed a week or two ago and flexane both mounts.

Some questions:

I'm using duct tape on one side of the mount to prevent leakage. When duct-taping, are there any issues with the tape "sticking" to the urethane after curing when you go to remove the tape? Also, I am planning on taping directly on the rubber portion of the mount to make it as leak-proof as possible.

I'm assuming the goal here is to fill the "spaces" in the rubber portion of the mount and not the outer portion of the rubber mount. Is this correct?

ADTHANKSVANCE!!!!!

I'm doing the same, and will be filling the hollow rubber portion with the p/u. You definitely have to use duct tape to cover the "hole" or point of entry as well as any other possible leakage points. I dont think the duct tape should stick to the p/u. Even if it does, the area/ part that it does stick can be cut and when the p/u cures, it will be solid.

oh and by "hole" above, I dont mean the center. I mean when you started pouring the p/u into the hollow rubber.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:53 PM

Some questions:

ADTHANKSVANCE!!!!!
Go over-board on the taping. I thought I had it all sealed up good on mine only to come back in the garage an hour later with the mount laying in a huge puddle of the stuff. It's kinda hard to get it to 'seal' around the rim of the mount.

I removed my tape when the urethane was still tacky and the tape kinda pulled up the urethane. I just pushed/formed it back down with my fingers since it wasnt sticky/tacky enough to actually stick to my hand. It seems the tape would surely stick to the urethane if it was completely cured.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some questions:

ADTHANKSVANCE!!!!!
I did the same thing as you are planning yo do, using duct tape is fine. The only advice i can give when using duct tape is to make sure you us multiple layers of it. I sealed one off perfectly and the other lost about a third i had poured in b/c it had a hole. Once this stuff cures you can't add anymore. I filled my mounts all the way to the top including part of the side, covering up the entire rubber mount. Try to place something under the mount to get the part you are filling as level as possible. When you do this and fill the sides up like i said the cured flexane will look as if the mount is a poly mount and its smooth and pretty looking. Makes you want to keep the things out and show everyone what you made. Oh yeah, don't worry about problems taking the tape off, it will come off as easy as it went on.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:21 PM

Re: Re: Some newbie questions regarding flexaning motor mounts....

does anyone have a pic of what it looks like cos it would really really help and answer all questions.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Some questions:

some tips...
get some sand paper and rough up the rubber a little...then clean them really good...this helps the flexane stick w/ the mount.

i used masking tape...but i guess duct tape might work.
masking tape pulled right off. if it stays on the leave it there.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

doing mine this weekend
Old 12-03-2002, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

some tips...
get some sand paper and rough up the rubber a little...then clean them really good...this helps the flexane stick w/ the mount.

I recall reading that in the urethane instructions....I'll rough the rubber up a bit before applying.

i used masking tape...but i guess duct tape might work.
masking tape pulled right off. if it stays on the leave it there.
I guess my fear with masking tape stemmed around it not being able to prevent leaks.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by FASHIZL

I did the same thing as you are planning yo do, using duct tape is fine. The only advice i can give when using duct tape is to make sure you us multiple layers of it. I sealed one off perfectly and the other lost about a third i had poured in b/c it had a hole. Once this stuff cures you can't add anymore. I filled my mounts all the way to the top including part of the side, covering up the entire rubber mount. Try to place something under the mount to get the part you are filling as level as possible. When you do this and fill the sides up like i said the cured flexane will look as if the mount is a poly mount and its smooth and pretty looking. Makes you want to keep the things out and show everyone what you made. Oh yeah, don't worry about problems taking the tape off, it will come off as easy as it went on.
I guess what I'm trying to decide is whether to tape real secure directly on the rubber itself or to focus taping real secure to the metal surround and the center hole for the mounting bolt, which would allow for the urethane to cure over the rubber.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
doing mine this weekend

pics if you can.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by lophix

pics if you can.
got that all under control
Old 12-03-2002, 09:03 PM
STFU n00b!

just secure the tape well to the outside of the mount and to the center piece.. make sure you get around the center piece well. it's a PIA to get completely sealed, but possible.

set up a "stand" for the mounts so that they sit pretty level on the bench before filling. also be sure to put a dropcloth or something under the mounts so when the stuff does start leaking out, you don't mess up your purdy workbench.

as has been said, the duct tape will peel right off when it's fully cured. no problems there.. if it stays on, then just spray paint it black and stick the mount in the car. you'll be the only one that will ever know it's there.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what would be the best urethane (harness wise) to use when making solid urethane mounts?
Old 12-03-2002, 10:04 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by mtcookson
what would be the best urethane (harness wise) to use when making solid urethane mounts?
Here's a good writeup:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...-r/mounts.html
Old 12-04-2002, 12:25 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Re: Re: Some newbie questions regarding flexaning motor mounts....

Originally posted by lophix
does anyone have a pic of what it looks like cos it would really really help and answer all questions.
What part do you want pictures of? I took some while I was doing it
but I didn't do enough to document it all.

On the duct tape issue - tape the bejeezus out of the mounts or it
will leak as described above. I was thinking, after the fact of
course, that some plumbers putty around the edge of the mount and at
the center post (for the through bolt) would solve the leakage issue.
I'm not doing another set for a while though so I can't verify if
this will help. In theory, it seems like it should work to help
reduce the seeping. 3M Window Weld has also been noted as a good
alternative on the .org. I guess it's thicker and won't run as much.

Cheers,

JK
Old 12-04-2002, 05:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some newbie questions regarding flexaning motor mounts....

Originally posted by joaquink

Cheers,

JK

I failed to mention I would be using JK's suggestion in a post in my research about using the plumber's putty for the duct tape to go on top of. That was a good suggestion as well.

I know it will help on the mounting hole, but not as confident on the outer edge.....
Old 12-04-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some newbie questions regarding flexaning motor mounts....

Originally posted by joaquink

Cheers,

JK
of the mounts being filled and after being taped, if you have those.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

New product and pics.

http://www.nx2k.com/nx2000/hd_mounts.htm

I guess Bill doesn't read his own articles! har!

So really nice pics. http://www.4dsc.com/discussion/messages/55622.html

I guess Bill doesn't take his own advice! Search!
Old 12-04-2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
New product and pics.

http://www.nx2k.com/nx2000/hd_mounts.htm

I guess Bill doesn't read his own articles! har!

So really nice pics. http://www.4dsc.com/discussion/messages/55622.html

I guess Bill doesn't take his own advice! Search!

Just trying to make this particular forum better and searchable.

UPDATE on my urethane cure status: 1-1/2 hours elapsed and no leakage.

I basically sanded the rubber on the mounts, cleaned them with alcohol, put the plumber's putty on, and then duct taped the crap out of them. The 80A urethane doesn't smell as bad as I anticipated.

I took joaquink's advice and used plumber's putty around the edge of the mounting bolt and the edge of the mounts themselves. This allowed me to duct tape over the mounting hole and to apply plumber's putty to the outer edge of the bolt mounting hole. The Max's pics linked by Jeff above doesn't tape over the bolt but around the bolt, so it'll be interesting to see what differences transpire in the final pics of the mounts after curing. My aim was to cover as much of the rubber as possible.

I took pics, including:

Mounts with only plumber's putty applied
Mounts with duct tape applied to one side
Mounts after 5 minutes of urethane curing

I'll be taking pics of:

Mounts after 1 day or 2 days of curing
Mounts after 1 week of curing with no duct tape

My only question currently is when to take the duct tape off: after 80%-90% curing in 2 days or should I just wait a week or so?
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 PM

The 80A urethane doesn't smell as bad as I anticipated.

My only question currently is when to take the duct tape off: after 80%-90% curing in 2 days or should I just wait a week or so?
So you didn't use the 3M Window Weld?
Old 12-04-2002, 02:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

I would think maybe using some household sealant(from a caulking gun) would work to seal up small holes etc..