3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Filler Recall Update (I just cant win)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 07:48 PM

Fuel Filler Recall Update (I just cant win) finally got some pictures of the trunk.

Original Post: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+filler+recall

Just got my car back from the body shop today getting 600.00 worth of underbody welding done. The guy that I know at the body shop told me that I have extensive rust and corrosion of the seat belt restraint, fuel tank and fuel filler tube. Im dropping my car off at the dealership again. They had it for a week before and didnt even touch it so I had to pick it up to get some stuff done since I couldnt run any errands without a car. Anyway I'll take the car back to the dealership and let it sit there as long as it takes to either get all of the work done or for them to offer to buy the car from me and junk it. It sucks that I spent 800.00 on a new muffler and piping and 600.00 for welding that didnt help anything. If they offer me 2200.00 I will just take the money and walk away.(Wonder if they will let me take my dammmmnn muffler off.)
Old 12-11-2002, 08:43 PM

Is your seatbelt problem the seatbelt mounted in the trunk? My driver-side rear seatbelt rusted off of its mount in the trunk and I'm unsure what needs to be done to fix it.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:48 PM

Call Nissan. You may be eligible for the recall.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by my2ndmax
Call Nissan. You may be eligible for the recall.
Or better yet, read the original post and find out for yourself.

my2ndmax you should move this to the original post so that it all stays together. That way people reading the original post can get a feel for the final outcome of this delimma. Good luck to you, I hope they treat you better than they did me...
Old 12-12-2002, 06:11 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

take the muffler off now if you want it and just clamp a stock one on there if you think there gonna junk it, bottom line call nissan and complain or you can take the car to a mechanic and get it fixed, and tell them you didnt know about the recall but had it fixed since it was an emergency, and try and get nissan to write a check at least for what they had budgeted for the job.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:26 PM

The guy from the body shop called me over today and told me that I should come over and see the car with the carpeting and everything out. When I got there I thought I would be sick I have atleast three holes in the drivers side wheel well, the seat belt retractor is rusted and completely unattached from the car, the fuel filler tube is so rusted that as I rubbed my hand accross it it began to flake away. So I had the guys at the body shop stop working since had they done all of the work it would have run me into the thousands easily. After he put the tail lights and bumper back on I just drove it up to the dealership. Of course I got the normal smug were to good for third generation Maxima attitude from the guy in the service department. The last time that I dropped it off he said they took pictures and sent them to Nissan so I'll give them a week to call me and tell me something last time it was there I had to call them to get any updates on the car they didnt call to tell me anything. If I dont hear something by this next Friday Im going to continuously call Nissan 800# at an annoying pace and then I'll call NHTSA auto safety hotline until they call Nissan to get on theyre nerves a little also.
I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. But after seeing the extent of the damage I totally expect to receive an offer to buy the car and total it. Does anyone have any idea how much I should expect for a 89 GXE with about 240,000 miles. Im not looking for the blue book value I already looked that up (2000.00) I want to know if this has happend to anyone on the org and if so how much they offerd.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A couple hundred if that much.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

damn 89 with 240k dont expect more than $1000, damn man that sucks, Id insist that they fix it if they dont offer you as much as you want
Old 12-12-2002, 08:08 PM

I know I hope they will just fix it. But I heard that they will offer to buy it if its over a certain amount of money to repair it.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow, and '89 with 240K?!?!? Nice... One of my Max's is an 89, and its got a 140K, I'm not sure that its got a 100k of life left in it. Its a good car, almost no rust - but still...

Anyway, good luck!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 05:32 AM

Check out the original thread about this (not the last one you started) that was started a year ago or so. Use the SEARCH and you'll eventually find it. I can't remember if it was in the 3rd gen forum or the general. Anyway, there was a guy on there that had his car totalled. He's a friend, and his experience was no good either. I just can't remember what they ended up giving him for the car. Don't expect more than $1000, though...
Old 12-13-2002, 06:34 AM

Rip everything of value off the car, sell the parts, and leave the rusted body and frame in the dealership parking lot with a big bow on it.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:59 AM
blackonblack

Originally posted by 5spd92SE
Rip everything of value off the car, sell the parts, and leave the rusted body and frame in the dealership parking lot with a big bow on it.
I called the 1800 number yesterday - they were very helpful. However, in all honesty - I'd be embarrased to take my, soon to be 13 year old, vehicle to the dealer for rust repairs. I hear it now. "Buddy ever thought of just getting a new car? Look here everyone... Please gather around, This guy wants to rebuild his rusted out 1989 Maxima", followed by uncontrollable Bobby-D-in-"Cape Fear"-type-of laughter.

As it was pointed out by someone here already, fixing these 3rd gen cars, is not worth the time and money to neither the dealer or us. And I refuse to sell the car to NE-one for fear of having them come back to me with BS. So, I decided a long time ago to just keep my max until it dies.

I got rust on the very beginning of the trunk... Rust next to the filler tube, inside the trunk... the seat belt thingy is almost hanging loose... Matter of fact there is a huge whole on the body of the car, behind the left rear tire. I sprayed all my rusted spots with WD40 - and no lie, the rusting has slowed down.

I was watching the news recently, and there was a story about United Airlines using metallic tape to temporarily quick fix and plug holes in their plane's wings. Of course, according to the FAA this tape should only be used for no more than 30hrs of flight, and United Airlines, cutting corners, never made the fixes on these planes. I wonder, can we use this metallic tape on our 3rd Gen Max?

Old 12-13-2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by blackonblack

I wonder, can we use this metallic tape on our 3rd Gen Max?
Sure, but all it's going to do is plug the holes. It won't actually fix anything (like you said) and certainly won't stop or even slow the rust, but it will plug the holes. The problem with the rust is that it has to be cut out completely. Once it starts, it spreads like a disease and doesn't stop for anything. That makes for a very expensive repair.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

just a question hear, if my filler tube is rusting out and I have it fixed will that prevent the other areas from starting to rust? is the fuel filler the cause of the other rusting?
Old 12-13-2002, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by N34JZ
just a question hear, if my filler tube is rusting out and I have it fixed will that prevent the other areas from starting to rust? is the fuel filler the cause of the other rusting?
yes, at least that's how it reads in Nissan's report on the recall. You can get a copy of it by calling them and requesting it. I had the dealership get it for me.

Of course, you're going to have some rust no matter what. However, the degree of rust from the fuel filler stem is really alarming. I had no idea how bad it was until I installed some new struts in the rear and had to strip my trunk. It's aweful.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:13 AM
blackonblack

No. The cause in most cases is bad water drainage, mixed with accumulated dirt. If you've had body work done on your vehicle, the chances for rust increase! This is because most body shops, don't properly clean that left over dusts from sanding and compounding. Over time that dust cakes up, add a little moisture, and you got the perfect environment for rust.

Old 12-13-2002, 08:48 AM

I was watching the news recently, and there was a story about United Airlines using metallic tape to temporarily quick fix and plug holes in their plane's wings. Of course, according to the FAA this tape should only be used for no more than 30hrs of flight, and United Airlines, cutting corners, never made the fixes on these planes. I wonder, can we use this metallic tape on our 3rd Gen Max?
Hey watch it, my mom works for United!

I had a picture of an airline in Hong Kong that was using duct tape on the turbine fan on an old 747. Scary thought. Sorry O/T.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:09 AM

Why would you be embarrased?You said that your just going to keep your maxima until it dies. But do you realize that when that rear fuel filler causes that rust it will rust your rear support beam and if your ever god forbid rear ended and the rust is that sever the back of your car will just fold into your back seat like a piece of paper, and lets hope no metal hits metal and causes a spark near an already rusted and now hit probaly broken fuel filler which will then result in a fuel fire. I mean your worried about what they are going to say about you at the dealership but this rust can be a very major and very dangerous problem. Screw what they are going to say about you if this rust and corrosion is a problem that Nissan will fix I would still get it done.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:42 AM
blackonblack

Why would you be embarrased?You said that your just going to keep your maxima until it dies. But do you realize that when that rear fuel filler causes that rust it will rust your rear support beam and if your ever god forbid rear ended and the rust is that sever the back of your car will just fold into your back seat like a piece of paper, and lets hope no metal hits metal and causes a spark near an already rusted and now hit probaly broken fuel filler which will then result in a fuel fire. I mean your worried about what they are going to say about you at the dealership but this rust can be a very major and very dangerous problem. Screw what they are going to say about you if this rust and corrosion is a problem that Nissan will fix I would still get it done.
You bring an excellent point! That IS a concern! My rust has not gotten to that point yet. However, following the thread and the different posts on this topic, it is unrealistic to think that Nissan is going to execute thousands upon thousands of $ in bodywork on a 1989 maxima. The lady from Nissan, with whom I spoke to about this said that The Nissan dealership still reserves the right to accept or decline the work, depending on whether I have a "relationship" with them... Meaning if I've done business with them. Other than re-wiring my harness, I've never done business with any of them.

Chances are - I'll run it through with Nissan... If worst comes to worst, I'll see what kind of cosmetics I could come up with before junking it.

Old 12-13-2002, 11:28 AM

No. The cause in most cases is bad water drainage, mixed with accumulated dirt.
This is all normal on ANY car. The problem is the fuel filler stem. There would not be the level of corrosion that is present if the stem weren't leaking. Yes, it is a factor of bad weather, that is why the recall is only in effect in states within the 'salt belt'. That is the nature of the recall. The fuel filler stem is in turn the factor that allows the bad weather and road salt to corrode the metal and cause the rust. Fix the stem way back when before the car started to rust, and the amount of rust present now would be greatly diminished if not totally.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by nismo1989

This is all normal on ANY car. The problem is the fuel filler stem. There would not be the level of corrosion that is present if the stem weren't leaking. Yes, it is a factor of bad weather, that is why the recall is only in effect in states within the 'salt belt'. That is the nature of the recall. The fuel filler stem is in turn the factor that allows the bad weather and road salt to corrode the metal and cause the rust. Fix the stem way back when before the car started to rust, and the amount of rust present now would be greatly diminished if not totally.
thanks nismo thats what I needed to know, mine just started leaking Ill get it fixed asap
Old 12-13-2002, 11:50 AM

thanks nismo thats what I needed to know, mine just started leaking Ill get it fixed asap
Real quickly: what is leaking?? The trunk or is the actual stem visably leaking gasoline? If it's the trunk, and it hasn't made it to the seat-belt harness, have your boys cut out the hole and bolt or weld a scrap piece in there. That will do. If it's your fuel filler stem, and there's no hole, fix it yourself and spray some rust protector in between the stem and the wheel well...
Old 12-13-2002, 03:19 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Real quickly: what is leaking?? The trunk or is the actual stem visably leaking gasoline? If it's the trunk, and it hasn't made it to the seat-belt harness, have your boys cut out the hole and bolt or weld a scrap piece in there. That will do. If it's your fuel filler stem, and there's no hole, fix it yourself and spray some rust protector in between the stem and the wheel well...
no when I top it off with gas it leaks a bit untill it get down enough, just started happening so it can tbe that bad, Im gonna have my mechanic check it out next week and then ill take it from there, I called the dealership but they want me to leave my car for a few days to look at it then I have to bring it back if they decide to fix it, Id rather just pay my mechanic if its not too much and know that my car is ok, btw I can see any rist when I took the seat out and trunk liner.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:32 PM

I emailed Nissan and this is the standard email that they must send to everyone.

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
opportunity to be of assistance.

The dealerships Service Manager or General Manager would be in the best
position to assist you. If you feel you are not getting satisfactory
service at your current dealership, you may always chose to have the recall
done at another Nissan dealership.

The Service department may be waiting for the appropriate parts to perform
your recall. Since your email to NNA, has the dealership repaired your
vehicle or provided an update on status?

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email us.

Sincerely,

Asli
National Consumer Affairs
Old 12-14-2002, 10:03 AM

I am soooo ****** mad. The guy from the service department called me yesterday when I wasnt home. So when I got home and saw it on my caller ID I called him back and I was told that he was very busy at 5:45 and they close at 6:00 he was probaly packing his shizzit up to go home. Anyway so I called them this morning the first time they said he was with a customer, So I called back a half hour later and I guess she reconized my voice and asked if she could take my number and have him call me back I gave her the number and asked her to please have him call me within the hour because I would be leaving out and wasnt sure when I would be back. Well I never went out and he never called me. This is my third 3rd generation maxima I had two 91SE and this 89GXE and I wanted to buy another one if they said that the corrosion was to extensive and that they would just pay me and junk the car but after this bull I dont think that I will ever by another one again.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:15 AM

no when I top it off with gas it leaks a bit untill it get down enough, just started happening so it can tbe that bad, Im gonna have my mechanic check it out next week and then ill take it from there, I called the dealership but they want me to leave my car for a few days to look at it then I have to bring it back if they decide to fix it, Id rather just pay my mechanic if its not too much and know that my car is ok, btw I can see any rist when I took the seat out and trunk liner.
Replace that fuel stem, and make sure there isn't any surface rust behind it. That's really good that you don't have any rust in the trunk, especially for your area! Good to know, Jason. You may be able to save yourself a lot of trouble. Although if I were you, I would take it to another dealership and have them perform the recall for free. You shouldn't have any problems if you're not rusting out already. No rust=no problem
Old 12-16-2002, 06:09 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Replace that fuel stem, and make sure there isn't any surface rust behind it. That's really good that you don't have any rust in the trunk, especially for your area! Good to know, Jason. You may be able to save yourself a lot of trouble. Although if I were you, I would take it to another dealership and have them perform the recall for free. You shouldn't have any problems if you're not rusting out already. No rust=no problem
the thing is Im worried about them scratching the car while there working on it, if its under $150 Ill have my mechanic do it so I dont have to worry, besides the dealership wants two days to look at it and then thell decide if it meets the requirements, Ill take it to my mechanic and get it fixed then tell nissan I wasnt aware of it untill my mechanic fixed it because it was a safety issue and mabey get some $$ back from them.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:28 AM

the thing is Im worried about them scratching the car while there working on it, if its under $150 Ill have my mechanic do it so I dont have to worry, besides the dealership wants two days to look at it and then thell decide if it meets the requirements, Ill take it to my mechanic and get it fixed then tell nissan I wasnt aware of it untill my mechanic fixed it because it was a safety issue and mabey get some $$ back from them.
Well, it may vary from dealership to dealership but when I first investigated into it I was worried about the same thing (having painted my car the week before) and the Serv. Mngr said that they would fix it if they did scratch the paint or anything, but of course he could have been talking about stock color which neither of us have anyway. Well, hopefully you can get some money back from Nissan.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:33 AM

Went past the dealership to check on my car. The excuse this time was that the service manager forgot his camera so they didnt get a chance to take pictures. I called their bluff and bought my own camera. I will post pics of the damage when I get them back and I will keep you guys posted on whats going on. Im kinda thinking of just selling the damn car as a parts car especially since the tranny was replaced a year ago and I figure I can atleast get a couple bucks for that alone.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:43 AM

Went past the dealership to check on my car. The excuse this time was that the service manager forgot his camera so they didnt get a chance to take pictures. I called their bluff and bought my own camera. I will post pics of the damage when I get them back and I will keep you guys posted on whats going on. Im kinda thinking of just selling the damn car as a parts car especially since the tranny was replaced a year ago and I figure I can atleast get a couple bucks for that alone.
I'm sorry to be a vulture, but if it's a 5 speed I got first dibbs!! (sorry, I'm not trying to capitalize on your misfortune, but I had to get it in before anyone else). Good luck!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:55 AM

I'm sorry to be a vulture, but if it's a 5 speed I got first dibbs!! (sorry, I'm not trying to capitalize on your misfortune, but I had to get it in before anyone else). Good luck!

Hey I know your not a vulture. But its an automatic. I have the car listed for sale in the cars for sale and parts for sale section.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:59 PM

Hey I know your not a vulture. But its an automatic. I have the car listed for sale in the cars for sale and parts for sale section.
if you havent looked on my site i had gaping holes in my max too, i just patched them up so that water cant get in and called it a day. there is no real way to replace in inner wheelhouses without removing the quarter panels. only sectioning or patching. fix it and keep driving
Old 12-16-2002, 08:05 PM

The only problem is that I dont know how to weld and I damn sure cant afford to pay a body shop to weld it up. Mine is worse than yours my wheel well is rusted all the way through I can look at the ground from in my trunk.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:46 AM
blackonblack

Originally posted by shavedmax

if you havent looked on my site i had gaping holes in my max too, i just patched them up so that water cant get in and called it a day. there is no real way to replace in inner wheelhouses without removing the quarter panels. only sectioning or patching. fix it and keep driving
That's exactly what I did. First I removed all the trunk panels, banged & removed the rust right through the hole, to the point of having solid metal, sanded a bit, sprayed the entire trunk and wheelhouse with WD40. Plugged the hole with masking tape and covered the masking tape with duck tape (both from within the trunk and outside... I took the rear wheels off) adn spray painted that ****! Problem solved. Oh I also revomed the back seat, cleaned that area and WD - 40ed that to the hilt!

Old 12-17-2002, 03:51 PM

The only problem is that I dont know how to weld and I damn sure cant afford to pay a body shop to weld it up. Mine is worse than yours my wheel well is rusted all the way through I can look at the ground from in my trunk.
i could too, i had 2 in my floor pan, just buy the sheetmetal, cut it to size and self tapping screw it into place, just buy the small ones, and seam seal it so that water cant get in
Old 12-20-2002, 02:56 PM

[IMG]C:\Program Files\America Online 7.0\download[/IMG]
Old 12-20-2002, 03:05 PM

I tried to put the pictures on here but I cant figure out how???
Old 12-21-2002, 02:03 PM

if you have a site just put aa link to the site
Old 12-21-2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by shavedmax
if you have a site just put aa link to the site

I dont have a site or homepage or anything. How do people put pictures in their posts.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filler Recall Update (I just cant win)