3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine problems when wet

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

engine problems when wet

ok, so whenever it rains or is wet and i go through a puddle my engine in the gxe starts flipping out and sputters at low rpm. the only way to keep it from sputtering is to put the pedal to the floor. it will also backfire really bad while this is happening then after running like that for a little bit it goes back to normal. it started doing this after we had the injectors cleaned at some oil change place around here. it would also do similar things when you would first start the car and go whether it was cold or not outside. it would only work if i punched it and got the rpms high then it would run fine. anyone have any ideas of what this could be? the plastic pieces on the bottom of the engine compartment are off and you would thing water would be getting up there and shorting out an electric signal but this doesn't happen on my se that also has the plastic covers off. i really need to figure something out because it's making me crazy. thanks!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:39 AM

Re: engine problems when wet

Originally posted by mtcookson
ok, so whenever it rains or is wet and i go through a puddle my engine in the gxe starts flipping out and sputters at low rpm. the only way to keep it from sputtering is to put the pedal to the floor. it will also backfire really bad while this is happening then after running like that for a little bit it goes back to normal. it started doing this after we had the injectors cleaned at some oil change place around here. it would also do similar things when you would first start the car and go whether it was cold or not outside. it would only work if i punched it and got the rpms high then it would run fine. anyone have any ideas of what this could be? the plastic pieces on the bottom of the engine compartment are off and you would thing water would be getting up there and shorting out an electric signal but this doesn't happen on my se that also has the plastic covers off. i really need to figure something out because it's making me crazy. thanks!
Start with plug wires.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: engine problems when wet

Plug wires are a good place to start, but I would also look at everything in the secondary ignition system: wires, cap, rotor (applicable only with distributor, of course). Any electrical connection related to ignition on either primary or secondary side could be the culprit.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks guys. i'll take a look at that. more than likely the wires have never been replaced so that could very well be the culprit. i wonder if bad wires would cause crappy idle...
Old 12-16-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by mtcookson
thanks guys. i'll take a look at that. more than likely the wires have never been replaced so that could very well be the culprit. i wonder if bad wires would cause crappy idle...
Absolutely would. Worn cap and rotor would too. I suggest you just do it all. Not a whole lot of $$ and will restore performance/smooth idle and fuel efficiency too. Nice easy fixes to boot, so you can get that feeling of accomplishment.