3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need exterior paint color suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need exterior paint color suggestions

Hey guys. I recently inherited quite a bit of money and I thought that the best thing to do with it is to give my Maxima some new "clothes." So, I have decided to get her a new paint job. The problem is that I have a tan interior (and I friggin hate it). It would take too long & too much money to swap all the tan pieces out, so I am trying to choose an exterior color that will look good with the tan.

I currently have a black exterior, but I want something different. I have thought about green, dark metallic blue, red, and silver. Do you think those colors would go well with a tan interior?

Do any of you guys have a suggestion for other colors?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:29 AM
STFU n00b!

It's a LOT less money and time to swap over a different color interior. you can do the whole thing in a day, and do it for under a few hundred bucks.
there's a writeup on it around here somewhere.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

how much money did you get, because if your going to change the color be prepared to spend $$$ unless yu plan to leave the door jams and engine bay black, but even then its still gonna be lot for a good piant job so I'd say stay with something dark, mabey a dark blue or dark green, have you ruled out painting it black? clean black third gens look great, mabey throw in a blue or gray pearl to give it a nice flip. I had the an interior in my white gxe and it was a pain to match anything to those colors so I know how it feels.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by N34JZ
how much money did you get, because if your going to change the color be prepared to spend $$$ unless yu plan to leave the door jams and engine bay black, but even then its still gonna be lot for a good piant job so I'd say stay with something dark, mabey a dark blue or dark green, have you ruled out painting it black? clean black third gens look great, mabey throw in a blue or gray pearl to give it a nice flip. I had the an interior in my white gxe and it was a pain to match anything to those colors so I know how it feels.
I have the money to do it with. Crap, I could buy yet another car for all that matters. I would change the interior, if I only knew where to get the pieces for it. It's hard to find any good salvage yards down here. I had to go to friggin Orlando to get my engine for Christ's sake.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:18 PM

If you don't want to do the interior swap, the only colors other than black that I can think of that would look decent with a tan interior would be dark blue, red, or ruby pearl.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:28 PM

I like the Dark Green paint job, not the stock dark green (Like my car, but the color that Stu has. Will look good with the tan interior Thats the color I plan on doing my car. That way I won't have to do the door jams, and engine bay like what N34JZ said. Call it being cheap, but unless you are paying for it, SHUT UP!!

Is the interior cloth or leather??
Old 12-16-2002, 04:43 PM

well if u stickin to da tan then i would prob go with a high grade pearl while cream like da brouhams com with but mad pearl. cuz u said u gotz da money so changin da color is ok 4 u.. cuz i have seen it with tan IN and look hype still.but if u gets da black IN then u can go krazy with da EX..
Old 12-16-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Drrrive

Is the interior cloth or leather??
It's cloth. I have a chance to get some black leather seats, but I haven't messed with it yet because I am waiting till the paint job is done.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:17 PM

If you can get black leather seats, then I would keep it black. But, b/c you want to spend the money you got, get the hottest black paintjob you can find!! Get one that fades from black to dark blue to purple! Cause Black/Black looks hot. Or, if you insist on painting it another color, get a sick red. Something to stand out among stock paint!!
Old 12-16-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Drrrive
If you can get black leather seats, then I would keep it black. But, b/c you want to spend the money you got, get the hottest black paintjob you can find!! Get one that fades from black to dark blue to purple! Cause Black/Black looks hot. Or, if you insist on painting it another color, get a sick red. Something to stand out among stock paint!!
If your car is a GXE then I would take that money and buy an SE. Forget the GXE. Ive done just about every basic mod. (including paint) and Ive still just got a regular Maxima...cant get blood from a stone. Trust me. Theres better more rewarding places to spend it.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:25 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Nismomaxt

If your car is a GXE then I would take that money and buy an SE. Forget the GXE. Ive done just about every basic mod. (including paint) and Ive still just got a regular Maxima...cant get blood from a stone. Trust me. Theres better more rewarding places to spend it.
not everyone is into goin fast, he's got an svt, doubt he needs the max to go fast
Old 12-17-2002, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by Nismomaxt

\

I don't have the VG to mod it. It seems like a waste of money to try and make it fast, <-- That's MY opinion.

I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra that I mod to go fast. And it really goes fast. I just ordered a Saleen Body Kit for it to make it look nice. Currently working on upping the boost.

As far as the paint goes, do you guys think that a red exterior matches with a tan interior?
Old 12-17-2002, 07:28 AM

I did an interior swap on my max - it was pretty easy. The hardest part was the dash, since it's one whole unit.

Make sure you have a nissan dealership manual so that you can find all of the screws, etc. I was able to do mine in about two days.

Here are some links
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=136782

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rbloedow/index2.htm
Old 12-17-2002, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by C-Dawg
\

I don't have the VG to mod it. It seems like a waste of money to try and make it fast, <-- That's MY opinion.

I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra that I mod to go fast. And it really goes fast. I just ordered a Saleen Body Kit for it to make it look nice. Currently working on upping the boost.

As far as the paint goes, do you guys think that a red exterior matches with a tan interior?
Why mod the Max at all? Use it for your daily (if that's what it's for), do regular maint, and spend your fun money on your fast ride.

Maybe put that extra toward a house? (have one yet?)
Old 12-17-2002, 08:40 AM

for real just drive the max and maintenance, like Lordrandall said. Concentrate in making that SVT sick fast
Old 12-17-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

Why mod the Max at all? Use it for your daily (if that's what it's for), do regular maint, and spend your fun money on your fast ride.

Maybe put that extra toward a house? (have one yet?)
I am not modding the Max, just painting it. It has a lot of scratches, dents, and dings that need to be repaired.

And, I do have a house. Nice, and will be paid for in about 15 months.

Originally posted by D-sta
for real just drive the max and maintenance, like Lordrandall said. Concentrate in making that SVT sick fast
The good thing about it is that you don't have to do a lot to make it crazy fast. I thought I would spruce up its looks, so that is where the Saleen kit comes in. I only drive the Maxima on long trips anyway. I drive the Cobra everywhere. Some people say I should only use it for the weekend, but screw that ****, I didn't buy a $35,000 sports car for it to sit in the garage.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:40 PM

And, I do have a house. Nice, and will be paid for in about 15 months.
How did you manage that? Nice

The good thing about it is that you don't have to do a lot to make it crazy fast. I thought I would spruce up its looks, so that is where the Saleen kit comes in. I only drive the Maxima on long trips anyway. I drive the Cobra everywhere. Some people say I should only use it for the weekend, but screw that ****, I didn't buy a $35,000 sports car for it to sit in the garage.
True true! You might as well have fun with it while you can. Cars were meant to be driven, not rubbed with a diaper....
Old 12-17-2002, 03:45 PM

Still it's an SVT and I also tell you it should be the other way around, anywayz, your car, you decide to do as you please. Do you have any pics of the SVT, just post some pics after you install the body kit I know what a stock SVT cobra looks like. Since you have money on the side I guess painting the Maxima wouldn't be bad idea, go for it.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:23 PM

How did you manage that? Nice

True true! You might as well have fun with it while you can. Cars were meant to be driven, not rubbed with a diaper....
I started an investment and savings account when I turned 16 with the help of my dad. I also got a full scholarship to go to college for my BBA, MBA, and JD degrees, so college was no expense. I work a really good job and make some serious money, so I was able to pay for my house fairly easy. I usually get my cars for cost, because my brother works as a business manager for a local dealership and my future brother in law is a managing partner at another dealership.

Originally posted by D-sta
Still it's an SVT and I also tell you it should be the other way around, anywayz, your car, you decide to do as you please. Do you have any pics of the SVT, just post some pics after you install the body kit I know what a stock SVT cobra looks like. Since you have money on the side I guess painting the Maxima wouldn't be bad idea, go for it.
I'll get some pics up after the first of the year. The kit should be here around Jan 15th, and I get a new digicam for Christmas.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:43 PM

I started an investment and savings account when I turned 16 with the help of my dad. I also got a full scholarship to go to college for my BBA, MBA, and JD degrees, so college was no expense. I work a really good job and make some serious money, so I was able to pay for my house fairly easy. I usually get my cars for cost, because my brother works as a business manager for a local dealership and my future brother in law is a managing partner at another dealership.

My new hero is C-Dawg. I'll be happy if I pay off my house before the 30 year mortgage is up. Of course if there is good debt to have, it's morgage debt.

Old 12-19-2002, 11:35 AM

My new hero is C-Dawg. I'll be happy if I pay off my house before the 30 year mortgage is up. Of course if there is good debt to have, it's morgage debt.

I'm a hero? Woohoo, I always wanted to know what that felt like. Yep, mortgage debt is good. It can shield you from taxes.