3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Attn: Max Owners Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 05:00 PM
ShOwMaX

Attn: Max Owners Need Advice

Recently i've taken a look at this particular maxima that was for sale. The owner was also from the org but i wish not to state his/her name. I went to look at it. Everything was all good. I ended up wanting to purchase his/her car. I got the $$ written in cashier's check waiting to get the car the next morning. But I receive a phone call and that person said that when they purchased that car they nevered transfered the title into their name so it will take 4 weeks to transfer the title in their name. So i have to wait 4 weeks to get the car if i still want it! I was wondering if that holds true and i was wondering what you guys thought. I've been told that all that person need to do is go to the dmv and change the title to that person's name and can sell the car the second they walk out.
All it would take is a little time waiting inline at the dmv.
Let me know what you guys who have purchased and sold cars think!

Old 12-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

find that user name (link in top corner that says "find other members")
then once you get to that profile, choose the "search all posts by user" and see what that person had posted about before to see if there are any hidden problems or anything like that

I'm not sure about the title transfering though, you could probably check with your state DMV and find out
Old 12-18-2002, 05:31 PM
ShOwMaX

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
find that user name (link in top corner that says "find other members")
then once you get to that profile, choose the "search all posts by user" and see what that person had posted about before to see if there are any hidden problems or anything like that

I'm not sure about the title transfering though, you could probably check with your state DMV and find out
i did do my homework before i decided to purchase it! Nothing fishy on here. Just the usual mech. probs with the car posted. Nothing was fishy until right now. Im quite disappointed because i traveled pretty far to look at it and now its not going my way.
...the title transfer might also be different tho. because the seller of the car lives in a different state. I'm just very disappointed!

Old 12-18-2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by ShOwMaX

i did do my homework before i decided to purchase it! Nothing fishy on here. Just the usual mech. probs with the car posted. Nothing was fishy until right now. Im quite disappointed because i traveled pretty far to look at it and now its not going my way.
...the title transfer might also be different tho. because the seller of the car lives in a different state. I'm just very disappointed!
yeah, I figured you'd probably check out his posts beforehand, but I just wanted to make sure

that does suck, especially when you're all ready to buy the car. Check out the DMV laws for his state and see if he's telling the truth about it. Why can't the title just be transfered straight from whoever had it before directly to you? Why does he need to have the title at all if he never had it while driving the car?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:58 PM

you gotta have either a bill-of-sale or the title, depending on the particular state you live in. without that, you cannot legally register the car at the DMV. a bill-of-sale can be simply hand-written and signed by both parties and a witness. a title is formalized, and costs money. since he hasn't had one (?), the car will be assumed "inoperative vehicle." there is an extra fee for reinstating that title. waiting is frustrating, but if you want the car, then it can be worth it. as long as the DMV has some legit record of the car AT TRANSFER, no matter what state it is currently in or was in, it doesn't matter what he did prior to you owning it. they don't really care. they (DMV) simply need paperwork to file.

this actually happened to me: i bought a maxima this way. they seller didn't have a current title. so he had to get one created while i waited, and then we made up how much the sale price was: we "fabricated" the sale price. why? well, had we been truthful, the taxes and fees for title transfer would have been higher. and nobody, neither he nor i, cared to pay any more to simply have the car change hands.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:06 PM
STFU n00b!

another option is that if he never put the title in his name, then the car is still basically owned by the previous owner..
instead of having the title changed to his name, then yours, simply have them change the title from the oooold owner to yours. it'll save the middleman, weeks of waiting in line at the DMV, and a pile of cash to boot.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Attn: Max Owners Need Advice

To be honest with you I have no clue or suggestion. I'm a novice when it comes to buying/selling used vehicles. I just want to jump in on this thread to stay updated on what ever suggestions comes your way and the outcome, could be a learing lesson