3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VTC......some things I noticed when playing with this rewire stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 09:45 AM
1FasMax

I have a 92 SE.....MY VTC's were making the "clacking" noise, so I did the grounding mod a couple months ago....It got rid of the noise...but I lost top end power....So last night I was re-doing the mod cause the 1st time I did it I did a crappy wire job, so I went back in to re do it and i un-grounded them...and went for a drive...it was so much faster and consistent thru the RPM range.....On mine I notice the back VTC is making the noise, and the front VTC sounds quiet...so do I just have 1 bad one? And why does the car perform well when they are un-grounded if they are making the noise when they warm up? I havent re-done the mod yet....but I am planning on wireing it so that the grounding is somewhere under my dash so that I can have it grounded when the motor is cold, and ungrounded when its already warmed up....I know I will have to turn the car off before hitting the grounding switch, right?? Is this a stupid idea, or a harmful one?? I figure I can start the car and not have to hear the clacking noise, then have the performanc of I guess somewhat working VTC's when its warmed up......yet, I eventually plan to replace the bad one or ones so that they work like they should....that idea i like more yet until then.....ill be leaving it the "mod" way for a while....let me know what you guys think of this idea......thanks....Matt

Old 01-02-2001, 10:17 AM

did you lose that 5000-6000rpm loss in power when you rewired them? CAuse I have that too. Goes like a bat outta hell until 5000, then you kinda hang there for a sec, then the power comes back on 6000-redline. I did a pretty good wiring job when I did mine, but I'm still not satisfied, which is why I have known good VTC's being shipped to me
Old 01-02-2001, 10:44 AM
STFU n00b!

As you have shown, not both VTCs will go bad at the same time.. BUT.. if you have one going bad, the other probably isn't that far behind. It would make sense to replace/rebuild them both at the same time rather than to rebuild one and have to spend a week redoing the other one a year later.. Just saves hassle.

the switch thing sounds like a good idea.. be sure to put a relay on it, as I don't know how much current the solenoids draw, and you can run smaller wires through the car that way.
I doubt if you need to shut off the car to flip the switch, but it surely wouldn't hurt if you did it anyway.